Connect with us

National

35 schools in Jaipur receive bomb threat on 2008 blasts anniversary

Published

on

Jaipur, May 13 (IANS) Thirty-five schools in all received bomb threats on Monday, at a time when Jaipur is observing the 16th anniversary of serial bomb blasts that rocked Rajasthan’s capital, killing scores of people and injuring many more.

The principals of renowned schools like DPS and MPS received bomb threats through email in the morning. It mentioned about the installation of bombs in the school buildings. All the schools were evacuated in a hurry.

After getting the information, police teams and bomb disposal squads reached the spots. All schools have been evacuated and police are searching the information of the person who sent the mail.

On Sunday, 12 airports across the country, including Jaipur, received bomb threats.

On receiving information about a bomb in Vidyaashram School, teams reached the spot at around 9:30 a.m. Keeping safety in mind, the children and staff of the school have been evacuated.

After the threatening email to MPS School, located in Tilak Nagar, police from Moti Dungri police station and Adarsh ​​Nagar police station reached the spot and evacuated the staff from the school. As summer vacation has commenced, only the staff was present at the school.

ALSO READ:  Buoyant voter upswing likely in Srinagar LS seat this time

Meanwhile, officials are probing if the threats on the 16th anniversary of the Jaipur blasts are a coincidence or a conspiracy. A series of nine synchronised bomb blasts took place on May 13, 2008, within fifteen minutes at different locations in Jaipur, leaving 63 dead and at least 216 injured.

Police swung into action and different teams were dispatched to different schools as soon as information was received.

Rajasthan DGP U.R. Sahu said: “So far, 35 schools in Jaipur city have received the email. After receiving the mail, all the teams were alerted. The search is going on since 6 a.m. in different schools. There is no information about any suspicious thing being found anywhere. Cyber ​​teams have been deployed to detect the mail. The government is being updated on this entire incident. There is no panic.”

–IANS

arc/kvd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Rajasthan: Hospital's registration cancelled after doc removes wrong kidney

Published

on

By

Jaipur, May 29 (IANS) The Rajasthan government on Tuesday took action in a case in which a doctor removed the functional kidney of a patient instead of the non-functional one by cancelling the registration of the hospital with immediate effect.

The state government has also initiated the process to cancel the empanelment of the hospital in various government health schemes.

Additional Chief Secretary in the Medical and Health Department, Shubhra Singh, said that a serious case of removal of the left kidney of a female patient instead of the right kidney had come to light at the Dhankar Hospital in Jhunjhunu.

“Taking the matter seriously, the Medical and Health Department has taken strict action against the hospital. The clinical establishment registration of the hospital has been cancelled with immediate effect.

“Action is being taken to cancel the empanelment of the hospital from different schemes of the Rajasthan government. Besides, the action to seize the hospital is also under process,” Singh said.

ALSO READ:  J&K: Security forces carry out flag marches in Valley ahead of LS polls

She added that as per the guidelines of the Supreme Court, a five-member investigation team has been formed to probe the matter.

–IANS

arc/arm

Continue Reading

National

Mani Shankar Aiyar stirs new row by terming 1962 Chinese invasion 'alleged', BJP hits out at Congress

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 29 (IANS) Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar on Tuesday landed his party in a fresh row by terming the 1962 Chinese invasion “alleged”.

“In October 1962, the Chinese allegedly invaded India,” he said at the release of Kallol Bhattacherjee’s book ‘Nehru’s First Recruits: The Diplomats Who Built Independent India’s Foreign Policy’ at the Foreign Correspondents Club here.

The BJP hit out at the Congress over the latest gaffe of its senior leader, who has frequently left his party embarrassed with his outspoken remarks against PM Narendra Modi to his views on Pakistan, asking it to explain its “love for the Chinese”.

BJP IT Cell chief Amit Malviya said in a post on X: “Mani Shankar Aiyar, speaking at the FCC, during the launch of a book called Nehru’s First Recruits, refers to Chinese invasion in 1962 as ‘alleged’. This is a brazen attempt at revisionism.

“Nehru gave up India’s claim on permanent seat at the UNSC in favour of the Chinese, Rahul Gandhi signed a secret MoU, Rajiv Gandhi Foundation accepted funds from the Chinese Embassy and published reports recommending market access for Chinese companies, based on them, Sonia Gandhi’s UPA opened up Indian market for Chinese goods, hurting MSMEs and now Congress leader Aiyar wants to whitewash the Chinese invasion, post which the Chinese have been in illegal occupation of 38,000 sq km of Indian territory.

ALSO READ:  NC to field Omar Abdullah, Mian Altaf, Syed Ruhullah from Kashmir Valley in LS polls

“What explains Congress’s love for the Chinese?”

Later, in a brief statement, Aiyar, who had also recounted that his entry into the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) was reversed after reports that he, studying in the UK then, was engaged in fund collection for the Chinese making him rush to India to clarify matters, said, “I unreservedly apologise for having mistakenly used the word ‘alleged’ before ‘Chinese invasion’ at the Foreign Correspondents Club this evening.”

–IANS

vd/arm

Continue Reading

National

Incessant rain hits normal life, connectivity in Manipur; multiple areas flooded

Published

on

By

Imphal, May 28 (IANS) Incessant heavy rain, triggered by Cyclone Remal and the deep depression over the Bay of Bengal, inundated several areas, including cropland, in Manipur and disrupted movement on several important highways on Tuesday, officials said.

Officials said that at least five districts – Imphal East, Imphal West, Kangpokpi, Senapati, and Jiribam – were badly affected by the non-stop rains and landslides in multiple locations.

Major roads, including the Imphal-Silchar National Highway (NH 37), were also inundated or blocked due to huge landslides, paralysing traffic.

According to officials, a goods-laden truck was swept away and fell into a deep gorge on the NH-37 while several other trucks were stranded, waiting for excavators to clear the debris, officials said.

Many rivers, including the Imphal River, are overflowing and flood waters have entered several localities, homes and important institutions including the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences in Imphal.

However, no death or injury has been reported in the heavy rain, which may continue till Wednesday.

ALSO READ:  Buoyant voter upswing likely in Srinagar LS seat this time

Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, in a post on his X handle, said: “One gate of the Ethai Barrage has been opened for 30 cm. We are closely monitoring the situation, and any further openings will be done in consultation with the Water Resources Department (WRD) and the National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC). Our official teams are working tirelessly around the clock to manage this situation effectively and ensure the safety of the people.” The barrage impounds the Manipur River just below the confluence of the Imphal River and the Tuitha River south of Loktak Lake and is part of the Loktak Hydroelectric project that supplies hydropower to the seven Northeast states.

In view of the prevailing bad weather, the Manipur government has ordered all schools to be closed for three days from Wednesday.

“In view of the widespread destruction and inconveniences caused to many households and installations across the state due to incessant rain and floods that followed and in anticipation of the same in the following days, and keeping in mind the safety of the students and teachers of the state, all schools of the state would remain closed,” an official order said.

ALSO READ:  J&K: Security forces carry out flag marches in Valley ahead of LS polls

It said that during this period, all activities at the schools, including the admission process, should not be taken up.

–IANS

sc/vd

Continue Reading

National

72.44 per cent polling in Telangana MLC by-election

Published

on

By

Hyderabad, May 28 (IANS) The final voter turnout in Monday’s by-election to the Telangana Legislative Council from the Warangal-Khammam-Nalgonda graduates’ constituency was 72.44 per cent, election officials said on Tuesday.

Out of 4,63,839 voters, 3,36,013 cast their votes in the constituency spread over 34 Assembly segments in 12 districts.

Among the districts, Yadadri Bhongir recorded the highest polling at 78.59 per cent. The lowest, at 67.62 per cent, was in Khammam district.

According to poll officials, 68.65 per cent of voters cast their votes by 4 p.m., when the polling came to an end. However, those standing in queues were allowed to cast their votes.

The Election Commission had set up 605 polling centres with the highest (118) in the Khammam district.

A total of 52 candidates were in the fray for the by-election but the main contest was among the Congress, the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidates.

ALSO READ:  Domestic air traffic marginally came down in April: ICRA

The vacancy arose after Palla Rajeshwar Reddy of the BRS resigned following his election to the Assembly from the Jangaon constituency in the November 2023 polls. He was elected as MLC in the election held in 2021.

The ruling Congress, which has 33 out of the 34 MLAs in the graduates’ constituency, fielded Chintapandu Teenmaar Mallanna, who had contested as an independent and finished second in the 2021 election. He is locked in a three-cornered contest with Rakesh Reddy of the BRS and G. Permender Reddy of the BJP.

Counting of votes will be taken up on June 5, a day after counting of votes polled in Lok Sabha elections.

–IANS

ms/vd

Continue Reading

National

Sizzling Rajasthan: Churu breaches 50-degree C mark, Pilani reels at 49-degree C

Published

on

By

Jaipur, May 29 (IANS) Pilani in Rajasthan on Tuesday recorded the highest ever maximum temperature at 49-degree Celsius, while Churu sizzled at 50.5-degree Celsius to become the hottest place in the state on Tuesday.

The previous highest maximum temperature recorded in Pilani was 48.6-degree Celsius on May 2, 1999. Churu’s all-time highest maximum temperature recorded so far is 50.8-degree Celsius on June 1, 2019.

Many cities in the state recorded a maximum temperature of over 45-degree Celsius. In Ganganagar, the mercury soared to 49.4-degree Celsius, followed by Phalodi (49), Bikaner (48.3), Kota (48.2), Jaisalmer (48), Jaipur (46.6), and Barmer (46).

Meanwhile, Met department officials said that the maximum temperature is likely to drop by 2 to 4-degree Celsius in most parts of the state in the next 48 hours. There is a strong possibility of relief from the ongoing severe heat wave in the state from May 31 onwards.

–IANS

arc/arm

ALSO READ:  Delhi HC clarifies scope of further investigation in criminal cases
Continue Reading

Trending