Connect with us

National

385 motorists caught for drunk driving in Telangana's Cyberabad

Published

on

Hyderabad, June 23 (IANS) Telangana’s Cyberabad Police have apprehended 385 motorists for drunk driving in a large-scale drive.

Drunk driving tests were conducted at various locations under the limits of Cyberabad Police Commissionerate on Saturday night.

As many as 182 offenders were caught in the IT corridor alone. Police said all those caught will be produced before the court.

Those apprehended include 292 bike riders, 80 people driving four-wheelers, 11 driving three-wheelers and two heavy vehicle drivers.

Four offenders were caught with the highest Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 550 mg/100 ml.

If anybody indulges in driving under the influence of alcohol and causes accidents killing people, such persons will be arrested and sent to jail under section 304 part II of IPC (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) for which the maximum punishment is 10 years of jail, the police said.

The Cyberabad police conducted the special drive for a second consecutive week-end.

ALSO READ:  Centre will protect interests of Singareni, says G. Kishan Reddy

During the similar drive on the night of June 15, Cyberabad Traffic Police had apprehended over 349 people for drunk driving.

A total of 253 two-wheelers, 16 three-wheelers, 74 four-wheelers, and 6 heavy vehicle drivers were caught during the Driving Under Influence (DUI) checks.

Cyberabad Joint Commissioner of Police Traffic, D. Joel Davis stated that drunk driving and unauthorised driving have been major causes of road crashes and fatalities in Cyberabad.

In view of the increasing number of road accidents due to drunk driving, the police have begun to act strictly against such drivers.

People who knowingly allow or accompany drunk drivers are also being prosecuted for abetting the crimes.

Meanwhile, Cyberabad Traffic Police (CTP) also registered 22 FIRs against 114 vehicles for wrong-side driving in various locations across Cyberabad on June 22.

Police said it was making continued efforts to curb the dangerous practice of wrong-side driving. As of June 22, the CTP has registered a total of 122 FIRs and apprehended 631 vehicles for wrong-side driving offences.

ALSO READ:  Sex scandal: Prajwal free to say anything, but must face the law, says Shivakumar

–IANS

ms/svn

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Amid row, Assam's Tinsukia promises to reinstall Mahatma statue

Published

on

By

Guwahati, July 14 (IANS) Amidst huge controversy after the removal of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi for the construction of a clock tower in Assam’s Doomdooma town in Tinsukia, the district administration decided that a new seven-feet tall statue of the father of the nation would be installed in the town.

The controversy began after a social media post last week by Mahatma Gandhi’s great-grandson Tushar Gandhi.

Tagging a newspaper clipping, Tushar Gandhi in his post on the X said: “Not surprising that the BJP government in Assam decided to replace Bapu’s statue with a clock tower. Their slavish colonial hangover persists.”

Earlier, the Tinsukia district administration said that the statue was removed as part of the Doom Doom’s makeover project which included building a clock tower and replacing the old statue with another statue.

Congress leaders and workers led by former Doomdooma MLA and party leader Durga Bhumij strongly protested the move.

When the contractor of the project began the work recently, Bhumij along with party workers arrived at the site and strongly opposed the removal of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi.

ALSO READ:  India's first Speed Breeding Crop Facility starts operations

“The BJP never paid due respect to Gandhiji. Instead, it always gave respect to Nathuram Godse,” the Congress leader had said.

“At a time when Gandhiji’s statue was set up in as many as 80 countries around the world, the Board is going to build a clock tower by removing the statue of the Father of the Nation,” the Congress leader had told the media.

An official of the Tinsukia district administration on Sunday said that the Mahatma Gandhi statue was installed at Gandhi chowk in Doomdooma town around the year 1958.

“Since 1958, the statue had undergone a lot of wear and tear and damage. However, it appears that no scheme was undertaken for its restoration or replacement. Owing to this, a plan was undertaken to replace the existing 5 feet 8-inch Mahatma Gandhi statue with a new 7 feet tall statue under the scheme Installation of a new Mahatma Gandhi statue at Gandhi Chowk, Doomdooma’ under the 15th Finance Commission Grant of Doomdooma Municipal Board,” the official told the media.

ALSO READ:  Health Ministry launches 'myCGHS' iOS app with security features

He said on February 15, a public meeting involving various organisations of Doomdooma town was held and the details of the two schemes mentioned and discussed with the public clearly and transparently and members present in the meeting agreed to the implementation of the two schemes.

After the huge controversy, Doomdooma BJP MLA Rupesh Gowala assured them that a new and taller statue of Mahatma Gandhi would be erected at the same site.

“The old statue was in a dilapidated condition and the new one would be installed within six months, along with beautification of the site,” Gowala had told the media.

Lakhimpur MP Pradan Baruah laid the foundation for Doom Doom’s development project on March 7.

District administration officials said that the site of construction was cleared on July 3 and the existing statue of Mahatma Gandhi was lifted on July 5 to prevent any damage due to the construction work.

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, reacting to a post of Tushar Gandhi, on Friday said on X: “I am not aware of this decision taken by the district administration. Let me verify the facts. Assam owes much to Mahatma Gandhi.”

ALSO READ:  Centre will protect interests of Singareni, says G. Kishan Reddy

“He stood firmly with Bharat Ratna Gopinath Bordoloi when the Congress party led by Nehru wanted to include Assam in Pakistan under the Grouping Plan,” Sarma had said.

–IANS

sc/svn

Continue Reading

National

Kiren Rijiju attends Muharram Majlis in Kargil, calls for peace & harmony

Published

on

By

New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs and Minority Affairs Kiren Rijiju, on Sunday, expressed his sentiments as he attended Muharram Majlis at Kargil.

Taking to X, he said: “I’m deeply touched by my account of the Muharram Majlis at Kargil during my visit.”

“The eternal peace and harmony experienced, along with the profound message of Karbala shared by Hazrat Imam Hussain 1,300 years ago, are a testament to the enduring power of faith and sacrifice,” he added.

Stressing the significance of unity and understanding within community, Rijiju said further: “Meeting with esteemed leaders like President JUIAK Ladakh, Sheikh Nazir Mehdi Mohammadi and Chairman IKMT Kargil Sheikh Sadiq Rajai, as well as other religious scholars, reinforces the importance of unity and understanding within our community.”

“Let us continue to be inspired by the timeless teachings of Hazrat Imam Hussain and strive for peace and harmony in our lives,” he concluded.

ALSO READ:  Goa Cabinet gives nod to hold assembly session from July 15

Muharram Majlis refers to the ceremonial narration of stories of Karbala and recitation of mourning prayers that often move the congregation to tears out of devotion. The occasion is observed by Shia Muslims.

–IANS

/kvd

Continue Reading

National

Delhi court restrains sale of book on Yes Bank's Rana Kapoor

Published

on

By

New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) A Delhi court has passed a stay order restraining the sale and distribution of a book about Yes Bank’s former MD and CEO Rana Kapoor.

Judge Naresh Kumar Laka of Tis Hazari Court was hearing a suit filed by Kapoor, a co-founder of Yes Bank, seeking a mandatory injunction on the publication of the book “Yes Man: The Untold Story of Rana Kapoor”.

Kapoor contended that the book in question mentioned various defamatory remarks violating his fundamental rights protected under Article 21 of the Constitution.

His plea added that the media trial should not hamper a fair investigation by the investigating agency and should not prejudice the right of defence of the accused in any manner as it would amount to a travesty of justice.

In response, the defendant-publisher argued that Article 19 of the Constitution grants a right to publish an article or a book and it contained no objectionable or defamatory content against Kapoor.

ALSO READ:  Centre will protect interests of Singareni, says G. Kishan Reddy

After assessing the content of the book, the court, in its judgment, said that plaintiff Kapoor established a prima facie case in his favour against the publisher and author for harming his reputation without completely based on true fact.

It said: “The balance of convenience will also lie in favour of the plaintiff because the reputation of the plaintiff once defamed in the eyes of readers, it cannot be reversed back, if the plaintiff finally succeeds in the present case whereas the defendant will have only monetary loss only which is not greater than the reputation of the plaintiff.”

The CBI had registered the case in connection with alleged suspicious loans granted by Yes Bank and the quid pro quo between its co-promoter Rana Kapoor and the Wadhawan brothers.

The investigation agencies have alleged that Rs 3,700 crore was invested by Yes Bank in short-term non-convertible debentures of DHFL between April and June 2018.

ALSO READ:  Amit Shah to hold roadshow, address rally in Assam

Allegedly, Rana Kapoor received kick-back over bogus loans extended by YES Bank to DHFL company, which was owned by Kapil Wadhwan and Dheeraj Wadhwan and to its Group companies and those kick-back amounts were misused by Kapoor for purchasing properties in the name of his family members.

–IANS

pds/dan

Continue Reading

National

Eyeing Assembly poll, Ajit Pawar discusses seat-sharing with HM Shah

Published

on

By

Mumbai, July 14 (IANS) Buoyed by the victory of its two candidates in the biennial election to the Maharashtra Legislative Council held on Friday, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) president and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Saturday met Union Home Minister Amit Shah and discussed a range of issues including crucial seat-sharing among the MahaYuti partners for the upcoming assembly election, a road map to further strengthen the alliance to take on the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) and the crop loan waiver for farmers.

Confirming Pawar’s meeting with Shah, sources from NCP on Sunday said, “It is very clear that MahaYuti will together contest the ensuing assembly election in Maharashtra with full force and strength with a sole objective of retaining the power. Shah has ruled out the possibility of the BJP going solo or severing links with the NCP or with Shiv Sena. A veteran BJP leader and Union home minister also clarified that the BJP will give due justice to the allies including Shiv Sena and NCP in the seat-sharing with winnability as the leading criteria.”

ALSO READ:  J&K: Elderly tourist dies of heart failure in Gulmarg

The sources added that MahaYuti’s victory over nine seats in the state council election has boosted the morale of its party workers, especially after the dismal performance in the Lok Sabha elections.

The timing of Pawar’s meeting is crucial as Chief Minister Eknath Shinde had reportedly held a similar meeting with Shah a fortnight ago. Shinde, who will lead the MahaYuti in the upcoming assembly election, has been calling the shots after he won seven of the 15 seats fought in the Lok Sabha elections.

Shinde is believed to have conveyed to the BJP that Shiv Sena is keen to contest 100 seats in the Assembly election. Shinde’s proposal came after pressures mounted on the BJP from the cadres to not contest less than 150 seats considering its victory on 106 seats in the 2009 assembly elections.

Against this backdrop, Pawar’s meeting was all the more significant as the NCP has been repeatedly reminding the BJP that it was promised 90 Assembly seats when it joined MahaYuti in July 2022. If BJP is staking claim over 150 seats and Shinde on 100 seats then NCP will be left with 38 seats which will be unacceptable for it.

ALSO READ:  India's first Speed Breeding Crop Facility starts operations

As per the sources, Shah has reiterated that MahaYuti will remain intact.

Pawar, who as the state finance minister has proposed a slew of freebies and sops to farmers, women, youth, industry and varied sections in the budget, has also made a strong case for the waiver in crop loan in a bid to give much-needed relief to farmers who are in distress due to damage to their crops in the wake of natural calamities and market variations in the prices of agricultural produces.

The deputy CM brought to Shah’s notice that the previous Maha Vikas Aghadi government had implemented a crop loan waiver scheme but MahaYuti covered and gave benefits to the farmers who were repaying their loans regularly. Pawar’s suggestion is important as during 2023-24, agriculture and allied sectors are expected to grow by a paltry 1.9 per cent against 4.5 per cent in 2022-23.

–IANS

sj/uk

Continue Reading

National

Manipur: CRPF trooper killed, 3 cops injured after militants ambush joint patrol party

Published

on

By

Imphal, July 14 (IANS) A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan was killed and three other security personnel got injured when suspected militants ambushed a joint patrol party with the state police in Manipur’s Jiribam district on Sunday, police said.

The three injured include a CRPF jawan and two Manipur police personnel.

A police official in Imphal said that the joint patrol party came under heavy fire from the hilltop by suspected militants at Morbung village of Jiribam district bordering Assam.

The CRPF troopers were inside a patrol SUV when the suspected insurgents opened fire, the police official said, adding that the vehicle was later found with bullet holes and its windshield shattered.

The security personnel retaliated and the militants took shelter in the forest of the mountainous terrain.

A combing operation is now going on and additional forces have rushed to the areas.

The injured security personnel were quickly evacuated and are currently under medical treatment in the government hospital.

ALSO READ:  Centre will protect interests of Singareni, says G. Kishan Reddy

Sunday’s incident was the second militant attack on the security forces in Manipur in five weeks.

On June 10, suspected militants attacked the advance security convoy of Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh in the state’s Kangpokpi district and a security personnel was injured in the attack.

The advance security convoy was on its way to the trouble-torn Jiribam district on June 10 ahead of the Chief Minister’s scheduled visit to the state’s bordering district with Assam which recently witnessed violence.

The advance convoy was attacked near Kotlen village on the Imphal-Jiribam National Highway (NH-37).

Jiribam witnessed a wave of violence after the killing of 59-year-old farmer Soibam Saratkumar Singh on June 6.

The Jiribam violence led to around 900 tribals belonging to the Kuki and Hmar communities taking shelter at the homes of relatives and friends in two villages in the Cachar district of southern Assam, while around 1,000 people, mostly belonging to the Meitei community, are now sheltered in seven relief camps in Jiribam.

ALSO READ:  Amit Shah to hold roadshow, address rally in Assam

–IANS

sc/kvd

Continue Reading

Trending