Connect with us

National

BSF recovers 126 drones, 150 kg heroin along India-Pak border in Punjab

Published

on

BSF recovers 126 drones, 150 kg heroin along India-Pak border in Punjab

Chandigarh, July 10 (IANS) With the recovery of 126 drones and 150 kg heroin, the Border Security Force (BSF) on Wednesday said its troops have significantly outperformed the previous year’s record in the first six months this year.

The BSF mans the 553-km long varied, tough and challenging India-Pakistan border in Punjab.

In 2023, the BSF in Punjab captured 107 drones or UAVs coming from Pakistan. However, within a mere six-month span this year, the force has already recovered 126 drones or UAVs.

This highlights the enhanced capability and adaptability of the BSF troops in recognising and neutralising new threats, a task that was deemed highly challenging just a few years ago, said officials.

Along with the 126 drones, the BSF has also recovered 150 kg of heroin and 18 weapons.

Furthermore, the paramilitary force neutralized one Pakistani national and apprehended 21 Pakistani nationals attempting to cross the International Border.

This exceptional performance underscores the dedication and efficiency of the BSF Punjab in safeguarding national security, it added.

ALSO READ:  'It ain't over till its over', political parties' common advice to counting agents in Bengal

Braving innumerable challenges, including inclement weather conditions and the spate of smuggling, BSF men are guarding borders around the clock with unflinching dedication.

–IANS

vg/dpb

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

'Special court’ will be designated to hear land grabbing cases: Goa CM

Published

on

By

'Special court’ will be designated to hear land grabbing cases: Goa CM

'Special court’ will be designated to hear land grabbing cases: Goa CM

Panaji, July 23 (IANS) Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Tuesday said that his government will designate a special court to hear the around 110 land grabbing cases so that the ownership can be reverted to the original owner.

Sawant was replying to BJP MLA Nilesh Cabral during Question Hour in the ongoing assembly session.

A one-man commission headed by retired justice of the Bombay High Court V K Jadhav had in November last year submitted its report on the land grabbing cases to the state government.

According to the Chief Minister in the last 15 to 20 years a land scam was happening and around 110 properties were grabbed of those people who were staying in other countries or of “No man’s land”.

The SIT, which was headed by then Superintendent of Police (Crime Branch) Nidhin Valsan, was formed in July 2022 to look into complaints of land grabbing and conversion.

Replying to former Law Minister NIlesh Cabral on land grabbing, Sawant said that a special court or district court (single court) will be designated to hear these cases.

ALSO READ:  BJP will face defeat over unemployment, inflation, destruction of state: INDIA bloc leaders

“Till now it is not finalised because the process of filing chargesheet is going on. Once it is completed a single court will be designated to hear these cases and the process will be expedited to give justice to the sufferers at the earliest,” Sawant said.

He said that the one-man commission had given around 17 to 18 suggestions and as per that amendments will be brought in this session.

“Six departments have been given suggestions to curb such fraudulent practices of transferring the land. We have taken action against those who were involved in it,” Sawant said.

“Some persons who have lost their land have already approached the High Court to get the possession of their land. My clear stand is that the original owner should get back his/her land at the earliest,” Sawant stated.

He said that even government land has been sold fraudulently. “People should look into the documentation and verify before purchasing land,” he advised.

ALSO READ:  Udhayanidhi Stalin likely to become TN Deputy CM during June Assembly session

According to Nilesh Cabral, when the SIT and the ED have already submitted reports about how the accused persons have fraudulently sold the lands of the original owners, there is no need to send these cases to court.

“They have already suffered a lot and should not suffer more by sending the cases to court. It is proved that their land was fraudulently sold. Hence it should be reverted to them. SIT and ED have already proved that frauds have been committed. Don’t send these cases to court as people will have to wait for many years for justice,” Cabral pointed out.

–IANS

sbk/bg

Continue Reading

National

Union budget puts a brake on Kerala's development: CM Vijayan

Published

on

By

Union budget puts a brake on Kerala's development: CM Vijayan

Union budget puts a brake on Kerala's development: CM Vijayan

Thiruvananthapuram, July 23 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Tuesday said the Union Budget presented by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharam clearly puts a brake on the state’s development plans.

“I will not complain about giving more to some states, but, I will definitely speak when states like Kerala have not been considered and such a thing should not have happened as it puts a brake on the state’s foray into the future,” he said in his response to the first budget of the third Narendra Modi government.

“This is certainly a challenge to the people of Kerala. Now we will go in-depth into the budget papers and then we will again approach the Centre after trying to arrive at a consensus here,” Vijayan added.

Top leaders of the opposition Congress echoed similar views of Kerala being sidelined in the Budget.

State Finance Minister K.N. Balagopal, ahead of the Budget preparations, had personally called on Union Finance Minister Sitharaman and submitted a memorandum requesting a special package of Rs 24,000 crore, but what has upset all here is that even the word Kerala does not figure in the Budget.

ALSO READ:  ED raids residence of Punjab’s Excise Commissioner in guava orchard scam case

Vijayan also pointed out that an AIIMS in the state has been a long-standing demand and that too is not there.

But actor turned Union Minister Suresh Gopi, who won a stellar victory from Thrissur to open the BJP’s account in the state, was unfazed and when the media asked him about the state, he shot back: “Why are there no youths, women, or the fisheries sector in Kerala.”

“You (media), please read the budget and then speak,” he said. “You just take it from me… on my first visit to Kozhikode after being sworn in, I have assured that an AIIMS is coming to Kerala and you take it from me, it will come,” Gopi added.

Balagopal, however, took potshots on the Budget and said when the BJP opened its account in the Lok Sabha from Kerala, in the Budget, Kerala’s account has been closed.

–IANS

sg/vd

Continue Reading

National

FM announces financial aid to Assam, Sikkim for flood management

Published

on

By

FM announces financial aid to Assam, Sikkim for flood management

FM announces financial aid to Assam, Sikkim for flood management

Guwahati, July 23 (IANS) Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her budget speech on Tuesday announced providing financial assistance for flood management and related projects in Assam and Sikkim.

While presenting her seventh straight budget in the Lok Sabha, she said that Assam grapples with floods every year from the Brahmaputra river and its tributaries, originating outside India.

“We will provide assistance to Assam for flood management and related projects,” she announced.

Announcing financial assistance for Sikkim, the Finance Minister said that recently Sikkim witnessed devastating flash floods and landslides that wreaked havoc across the state.

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma thanked the Union Finance Minister for proposing special assistance to the state to meet the challenges posed by recurring floods.

Reacting to the Union budget, the Chief Minister in his statement on social media said: “We are extremely grateful for the special assistance Assam will receive under this budget to help meet the challenges posed by floods.”

ALSO READ:  ED raids residence of Punjab’s Excise Commissioner in guava orchard scam case

FM Sitharaman while presenting the budget in the Lok Sabha proposed assistance to the flood-affected states like Bihar, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Sikkim with flood management and development support, including financial backing for flood control projects.

–IANS

sc/bg

Continue Reading

National

NCPCR slaps notice to Netflix for showing smutty content accessible by kids

Published

on

By

NCPCR slaps notice to Netflix for showing smutty content accessible by kids

NCPCR slaps notice to Netflix for showing smutty content accessible by kids

Mumbai, July 23 (IANS) Adopting a tough stance, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has slapped a notice on the OTT platform Netflix for allegedly showcasing adult content that is accessible by kids, on Tuesday.

NCPCR has served the notices to Netflix India Vice-President (Content) Monika Shergil and Policy Head Ambika Khurana, directing them to appear before it in person on July 29 in Delhi.

The notice was served following a complaint lodged by former journalist Uday Mahurkar of Save Culture, Save Bharat Foundation (SCSBF) with the NCPCR.

As per the complaint by SCSBF, Netflix is illegally showcasing the most horrendous pornographic content on its platform, which is easily accessible to minors.

The NCPCR had already sent a letter to Netflix on June 10 to take the necessary steps and submit an Action Taken Report within 10 days, but that was not complied with.

It has pointed out that “the unrestricted accessibility of explicit content on Netflix to minors” constitutes an offence under the POCSO Act, 2012, Section 11.

ALSO READ:  Udhayanidhi Stalin likely to become TN Deputy CM during June Assembly session

The relevant section states: “A person is said to commit sexual harassment upon a child when such person, with sexual intent, shows any object to a child in any form or media for pornographic purposes.”

The NCPCR has warned that failure to comply with the notice could attract legal consequences, and directed the top officials to appear before it on July 29.

–IANS

qn/pgh

Continue Reading

National

President Droupadi Murmu to visit Maharashtra on July 28

Published

on

By

President Droupadi Murmu to visit Maharashtra on July 28

President Droupadi Murmu to visit Maharashtra on July 28

Mumbai, July 23 (IANS) President Droupadi Murmu will visit Maharashtra from July 28 to 30.

She will visit Pune, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Nanded and Latur during her visit.

Among various programmes, she will attend the function to celebrate the Centenary Year of the Maharashtra Legislative Council on July 29 in Mumbai.

Her programmes planned for July 28 include a visit to the Mahalaxmi temple at Kolhapur, the inauguration of the mineral water plant at Savitri Mahila Audyogik Sahakari Sanstha and the extension building of Shobhatai Kore Warana Mahila Sahakari Patsanstha (credit society).

On July 29, the President will attend the 21st Convocation Ceremony of Symbiosis International Deemed University at Pune and later attend the Centenary year function of the Maharashtra Legislative Council at Vidhan Bhavan in Mumbai.

On July 30, she will inaugurate the Buddha Vihar at Udgir in Latur district and visit Takhat Sachkhand Sri Hazur Sahib at Nanded.

On the same day, she will fly back to Delhi.

ALSO READ:  BJP will face defeat over unemployment, inflation, destruction of state: INDIA bloc leaders

–IANS

sj/dan

Continue Reading

Trending