Connect with us

International

China's top diplomat: 'Negative factors' up in relationship with US

Published

on

Beijing, April 26 (IANS/DPA) On the last day of US Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s visit to China, Beijing has warned of a deterioration in relations between the two powers.

Although the two sides are talking to each other again, the “negative factors” in the relationship between the US and China have increased, said China’s chief diplomat Wang Yi on Friday in Beijing.

Wang cited China’s right to develop being “unreasonably suppressed” as one of the reasons. According to him, the two countries are faced with the question of whether their relationship will either stabilise or slide into a downward spiral.

According to US media reports, Blinken said that progress had been made in some areas to close the gap between the two countries. However, he wanted to express clearly and directly the issues on which there were differences of opinion with China.

In talks on Thursday with the Party Secretary of Shanghai, Chen Jining, Blinken addressed points of difference with China regarding unfair trading practices, US press reports said. During his three-day visit to China Blinken also met students and US business representatives in Shanghai.

ALSO READ:  Split mandate in Pak polls: PML(N) moots idea of 'participatory coalition govt'

After a year of complete radio silence, US President Joe Biden and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, met in person last November near San Francisco in order to stabilise strained relations.

However, since then, new disputes on political and economic issues have continued to boil over.

China is angry about US sanctions in the tech sector or against Chinese companies supplying componentry, which could be used in Russia’s war machine against Ukraine.

Washington is concerned about Chinese influence and recently passed a law to force the Chinese company ByteDance to divest itself of its video-sharing platform TikTok in the US.

–IANS/DPA

sd/svn

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

13 Indians successfully rescued and repatriated from Laos

Published

on

By

Vientiane, May 26 (IANS) The Embassy of India in Laos said on Sunday that it has successfully rescued and repatriated 13 Indians, including seven Odiya workers from a wood factory in Attapeu province and six Indian youngsters from the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone in the Bokeo province of the Southeast Asian country.

“So far, the Embassy has rescued 428 Indians from Lao People’s Democratic Republic (PDR). We thank Lao authorities for their cooperation,” the Embassy said in a post on X.

Stating that ensuring the safety and well-being of Indians remains its top priority, the Embassy also advised Indian workers coming to Laos/Lao PDR, to not get duped by fake or illegal job offers.

Earlier this month, the Embassy had issued an advisory detailing recent instances wherein Indian nationals were lured for employment through Thailand to Laos.

“These fake jobs are for posts such as ‘Digital Sales and Marketing Executives’ or ‘Customer Support Service’ by dubious companies involved in call-centre scams and crypto-currency fraud in the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone in Laos. Agents in places such as Dubai, Bangkok, Singapore and India associated with these firms are recruiting Indian nationals by taking a simple interview and the typing test, and are offering high salaries, hotel bookings along with return air tickets and visa facilitation,” the advisory stated.

ALSO READ:  Split mandate in Pak polls: PML(N) moots idea of 'participatory coalition govt'

It added that victims are illegally taken across the border into Laos from Thailand and held captive to work in the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone in Laos under harsh and restrictive conditions.

“At times, they are taken hostages by criminal syndicates indulging in illegal activities and forced to work in strenuous conditions under constant physical and mental torture. In some other cases, Indian workers have been brought to Laos to work in other regions of Laos in low-cost jobs such as mining, wood factories, etc. In most cases, their handlers exploit them and endanger them in illegal work,” the advisory mentioned.

Advising Indian nationals to not get enticed and entrapped in fraudulent or exploitative job offers, the Embassy requested them to exercise extreme caution and verify the antecedents of recruiting agents as well as any company before taking up any job offer in Laos.

“Visa on Arrival in Thailand or Laos does not permit employment and the Lao authorities do not issue work permits to Indian nationals coming to Laos on such visas. Please note that those convicted of human trafficking crimes have been sentenced up to 18 years in prison in Laos,” the advisory warned.

ALSO READ:  Three killed, eight injured in blast in Pakistan

–IANS

int/as/dan

Continue Reading

International

Tribal fighter killed in bomb attack in Iraq

Published

on

By

Baghdad, May 26 (IANS) A paramilitary fighter from a local tribal force was killed and four others wounded in twin roadside bomb explosions in Iraq’s eastern province of Diyala, the Iraqi military said on Sunday.

The incident took place at 9:40 p.m. local time on Saturday (1840 GMT) when a roadside bomb ripped through an outpost of the tribal fighters affiliated with the Iraqi Hashd Shaabi forces near a village in the Khan Bani Saad area south of Baquba, the provincial capital of Diyala, some 65 km northeast of Baghdad, according to a statement released by the Security Media Cell, a media outlet affiliated with the Iraqi Joint Operations Command, reports Xinhua news agency.

The first blast caused no casualties. Upon the arrival of security forces to investigate and pursue the perpetrators, another roadside bomb went off, killing a tribal fighter and injuring four others, according to the statement.

The security situation in Iraq has been improved after the defeat of the militants of the extremist group Islamic State across the country in 2017. However, the country continues to grapple with sporadic attacks.

ALSO READ:  Three killed, eight injured in blast in Pakistan

–IANS

int/sd/svn

Continue Reading

International

Zelensky appeals to Biden and Xi to join Swiss peace talks

Published

on

By

Kharkiv, May 26 (IANS/DPA) Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Sunday appealed to his US counterpart Joe Biden and China’s Xi Jinping to participate in a planned peace summit in Switzerland in June.

“We do not want the UN Charter to be burnt down just like these books, and I hope you don’t want to either,” said Zelensky against the backdrop of a printing plant destroyed by a Russian missile attack in the northeastern city of Kharkiv.

“The efforts of the global majority are the best guarantee that all commitments will be fulfilled. Please, support the peace summit with your personal leadership and participation,” Zelensky added, addressing Biden and Xi directly in English in a video posted on the social media platform Telegram.

Switzerland has invited around 160 countries to a peace summit on June 15-16 to discuss possible ways to achieve lasting peace in Ukraine. Russia, which invaded Ukraine more than two years ago, has not received an invitation.

ALSO READ:  15 killed, dozens injured in Indonesia's flash floods

According to Zelensky, Moscow is currently preparing another attack in northern Ukraine after a recent offensive near the northeastern city of Kharkiv.

Military experts say another Russian offensive in the northern Sumy region is possible. Russia’s aim could be to exploit its manpower and material superiority, overstretch the Ukrainian defence lines and thus achieve the collapse of the Ukrainian front line.

Kharkiv, which lies only 30 kilometres from the Russian border, has been one of the worst-hit cities in Moscow’s bombing campaign since its invasion of Ukraine in February, 2022.

–IANS/DPA

sd/svn

Continue Reading

International

Israel thins out forces in Rafah, Givati brigade left

Published

on

By

Jerusalem, May 26 (IANS) The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) thinned out forces in eastern parts of the southernmost Gazan city of Rafah, and the Givati infantry brigade left for Israel from the area where it had been operating since the operation a few weeks ago, Israel’s Ynet news website reported on Sunday.

The move comes shortly after Israel announced that it had agreed to renew talks with Hamas on a hostage deal soon, with the mediation of Egypt, Qatar and the US, Xinhua news agency reported.

Israel launched a large-scale offensive against Hamas in the Gaza Strip to retaliate against a Hamas rampage through the southern Israeli border on October 7, 2023, during which about 1,200 people were killed and over 250 were taken hostage.

The Israeli attacks have so far killed more than 35,900 people in the Gaza Strip, health authorities in the Palestinian enclave said in a press statement on Saturday.

–IANS

int/sd/svn

ALSO READ:  Rishi Sunak to urge peers to back Rwanda plan amid final showdown

Continue Reading

International

Nearly 1 million evacuated as Cyclone Remal approaches Bangladesh

Published

on

By

Dhaka, May 26 (IANS) Bangladesh has begun evacuating millions of people ahead of Cyclone Remal, which is expected to bring winds as fast as 130 kmph when it makes landfall.

The cyclonic storm in the Bay of Bengal is poised to cross the country’s coastlines between Sunday evening and midnight, Xinhua news agency reported.

Bangladesh Meteorological Department on Sunday warned of the danger of flooding, landslides and a storm surge.

The great danger signal No. 10 has been sounded for the country’s coastal districts and seaports, where fishing boats, trawlers and maritime vessels have been advised to remain in shelter till further notice.

At 9.00 a.m. local time Sunday, the cyclone was centred 295 km south of Bangladesh’s Mongla port in the southern Khulna region and 380 km southwest of Chattogram port in southeastern Bangladesh, said the bulletin signed by Kh Hafizur Rahman, a meteorologist at BMD.

Bangladeshi State Minister for Disaster Management and Relief, Md Mohibur Rahman, told Xinhua that at least 8,00,000 people from the ten most vulnerable districts have already been evacuated to shelters.

ALSO READ:  North Korean leader oversees test-firing of new multiple rocket launcher shells

He said Bangladesh’s navy, coast guard, police, voluntary organisations and political parties were supporting the ongoing massive evacuation efforts.

Television footage showed widespread flooding in the low-lying areas of coastal districts.

Due to the peripheral effect of the severe cyclone and steep pressure gradient, the low-lying areas of the coastal districts of Khulna and Chattogram are likely to be inundated by a wind-driven surge of 8-12 feet height above normal astronomical tide, reads the bulletin.

Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority has suspended operations of all types of river vessels on all inner routes. Authorities of Chattogram Seaport have ordered to stop unloading of cargo at the outer anchorage and asked all the vessels anchored there to go to the deep sea.

Shah Amanat International Airport in Chattogram has suspended its flight operation for eight hours from Sunday afternoon.

In 2007, Cyclone Sidr hit the country’s southwestern coastal belt, leaving more than 4,000 people dead or missing.

ALSO READ:  Rishi Sunak to urge peers to back Rwanda plan amid final showdown

–IANS

int/sd/svn

Continue Reading

Trending