Connect with us

International

Death toll from heavy rain in Central America rises to 30

Published

on

Death toll from heavy rain in Central America rises to 30

Mexico City, June 22 (IANS) At least 30 people have died from heavy rain this season in the three Central American countries of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, according to authorities of these three countries.

Luis Alonso Amaya, director of El Salvador’s national civil protection system, told local media that 19 people had been killed due to heavy rains, including two minors.

The minors were buried in a house located in the Soyapango district in the municipality of San Salvador, reports Xinhua news agency, citing Amaya.

The Salvadoran authorities’ report on the damage caused by the heavy rains has so far recorded more than 1,500 incidents, 706 fallen trees, 521 obstructed roads and 2,582 evacuated people.

In Guatemala, at least ten people died, five were injured, and 376 were sheltered as of 9 a.m. on Friday due to the rains, according to the National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction.

Official figures also showed 239 roads and 27 schools were affected, along with 3,245 houses with slight, moderate and severe damage.

ALSO READ:  10.8 mn children in need of humanitarian aid in Ethiopia: UN

The risk and contingency management secretariat of Honduras has so far recorded one death as a result of the rains and more than 6,000 people affected, 945 of whom were evacuated.

According to experts, the continuous rainfall in Central America this week is due to the influence of several low-pressure systems in the region.

–IANS

int/sd/svn

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Death toll from Philippine floods, landslides rises to 21

Published

on

By

Death toll from Philippine floods, landslides rises to 21

Death toll from Philippine floods, landslides rises to 21

Manila, July 25 (IANS) The death toll in the Philippine floods and landslides triggered by southwest monsoon enhanced by typhoon Gaemi has climbed to 21, police said on Thursday.

In a preliminary report, police said seven people died in the Philippine capital region Manila, three in Cavite province, five in Batangas province, and three in Rizal province. Police also reported that one died in Bulacan province and another two in Angeles City in Pampanga province.

The cause of death mainly was drowning, landslides, fallen trees, and electrocution, Xinhua news agency reported.

The Philippines’ national disaster agency has yet to report deaths due to the twin effects of southwest monsoon and Gaemi, which exits the Philippines on Thursday morning.

Gaemi, the third typhoon to lash the Philippines this year, has dumped rains, triggering flash floods and landslides in Metro Manila and many regions.

Aside from taking lives, Gaemi submerged and destroyed houses, primarily shanties in coastal and riverside communities, and swept away cars.

ALSO READ:  10.8 mn children in need of humanitarian aid in Ethiopia: UN

Displaced residents spent Wednesday night in covered courts, schoolhouses, churches, and other makeshift evacuation centers while waiting for the floodwaters in their areas to recede.

The Philippines is one of the most disaster-prone countries globally, mainly due to its location in the Pacific Ring of Fire and the Pacific typhoon belt. On average, the archipelagic country experiences 20 typhoons yearly, some intense and destructive.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

Continue Reading

International

Australian shipwreck found 55 years after maritime disaster

Published

on

By

Australian shipwreck found 55 years after maritime disaster

Australian shipwreck found 55 years after maritime disaster

Canberra, July 25 (IANS) Researchers from Australia’s national science agency have solved one of the country’s biggest maritime mysteries by discovering the wreck of a ship that sank over 50 years ago.

The motor vessel (MV) Noongah was carrying steel between the east coast cities of Newcastle and Townsville on August 25, 1969, when it encountered a storm and sank, triggering one of the largest searches for survivors in Australian maritime history, Xinhua news agency reported.

Of the 26 crew on board at the time of the incident, 21 died. Only one body was recovered and the wreck was never found.

However, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) on Thursday announced it has confirmed the final resting place of the 71-meter freighter.

The CSIRO’s advanced research vessel (RV) Investigator surveyed an unidentified shipwreck in June 2024, collecting video footage and high-resolution seafloor mapping data.

In collaboration with experts from New South Wales (NSW) Heritage and NGO The Sydney Project the team was able to identify the wreck as the MV Noongah.

ALSO READ:  Imran loyalists triumph, betrayers bite the dust

The investigation showed the wreck is sitting upright at a depth of 170 meters.

Matt Kimber from the CSIRO’s Marine National Facility (MNF) informed stakeholders including surviving crew members and the families of the sailors who died, of the outcome of the RV Investigator survey.

The data and vision collected by the CSIRO have been provided to the project partners to allow planning for a dive by The Sydney Project to collect additional vision of the wreck.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

Continue Reading

International

Israel recovers bodies of five hostages from Gaza

Published

on

By

Israel recovers bodies of five hostages from Gaza

Israel recovers bodies of five hostages from Gaza

Jerusalem, July 25 (IANS) The bodies of five Israeli people, who were held hostages by Hamas after the attack on the country, have been recovered, Israeli forces said on Thursday.

They were identified as Maya Goren from Kibbutz Nir Oz and four soldiers, whose bodies were held hostage, according to a joint statement released by the Israeli military and the Shin Bet internal security agency. The soldiers — Oren Goldin, Tomer Ahimas, Ravid Aryeh Katz, and Kiril Brodski — were killed in combat with Hamas militants on October 7, 2023, Xinhua news agency reported.

The bodies were retrieved in an operation carried out in Gaza on Wednesday by commando and Shin Bet forces and taken to Israel for identification, according to the statement.

Kibbutz Nir Oz, one of the communities most severely affected by Hamas’ assault, released a statement saying that Goren, a 56-year-old kindergarten teacher, was “brought home for burial” after nine months of being held in Gaza. Israeli authorities said in December 2023 that she was believed to be dead.

ALSO READ:  10.8 mn children in need of humanitarian aid in Ethiopia: UN

With about 110 people still being held hostage in Gaza, at least a third of them are feared dead, according to Israeli estimates.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

Continue Reading

International

Three killed in road accident in Afghanistan

Published

on

By

Three killed in road accident in Afghanistan

Three killed in road accident in Afghanistan

Charikar, July 25 (IANS) Three commuters lost their lives and three others were injured following a road accident in Afghanistan’s Parwan province on Thursday morning, police said.

The accident occurred in Siagard district when a passenger car rammed into a truck, leaving three dead including two women, and injuring three others, said Fazal Rahim Muskinyar, spokesman for the provincial police.

Three women, who were injured in the accident, were transported to the provincial hospital for treatment, Xinhua news agency reported.

Dilapidated roads, reckless driving, overspeeding, overloading, and lack of safety measures often cause deadly accidents in Afghanistan.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

ALSO READ:  Trump calls for 'no holds barred' debate as Biden tries to undo damage from the first
Continue Reading

International

One missing after oil tanker capsizes in Philippines

Published

on

By

One missing after oil tanker capsizes in Philippines

One missing after oil tanker capsizes in Philippines

Manila, July 25 (IANS) One person went missing after an oil tanker sank in the Philippines’ Bataan province on Thursday, Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) personnel said.

Rear Admiral Armando Balilo said the vessel, Motor Tanker Terra Nova, carrying 1.4 million litters of industrial fuel oil, capsized and eventually sank 3.6 nautical miles east of Limay town around 1:10 a.m. local time Thursday, Xinhua news agency reported.

Balilo said the vessel was sailing south to Iloilo province in the central Philippines when the accident happened.

Balilo said the Coast Guardsmen rescued 16 of the 17 crew, four of whom were injured. “The search and rescue operation for the missing crew is ongoing,” he added.

According to Balilo, a marine environmental protection team has been sent to the area to combat oil spills, and an investigation is underway to find the cause of the accident.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

ALSO READ:  Czech Republic approves plan to buy upto 77 Leopard tanks from Germany
Continue Reading

Trending