Connect with us

National

Delhi cop arrested in UP Police exam paper leak

Published

on

Lucknow, April 24 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) arrested a Delhi Police constable on Tuesday for arranging a resort in Haryana’s Gurugram for aspirants to read and solve question papers of the Uttar Pradesh Police Constable Examination, said senior police officials.

The accused was arrested near the Peripheral Expressway flyover in Baghpat.

The STF officials said the accused was identified as Vikram Pahal, a resident of Jind, Haryana.

They said he was recruited as a constable in Delhi Police in 2010 and served there at different units for around 14 years.

The officials said the accused met Ravi Attri, one of the two alleged masterminds of the question paper leak case, through his childhood friend Nitin of Sonipat, Haryana, and got into the nexus involved in the leaking of question paper of different recruitment examinations.

They added that he only arranged the Nature Valley Resort at Manesar of Gurugram, Haryana, where as many as 500 aspirants were made to read and solve question papers.

ALSO READ:  Deficit snowfall poses growing risk of glacial lake outburst in Himalayas, warn glaciologists

They said the Haryana resort owner Satish Dhankad was arrested from his hideout on March 21.

“Other than Nature Valley resort, the racketeers had arranged read and solve facility for around 300 aspirants at Shiv Maha Shakti resort of Rewa. The involvement of Shiv Maha Shakti resort is still under investigation,” an STF official said.

Earlier on April 3, one of the two masterminds of the Uttar Pradesh Police Constable exam question paper leak, Rajiv Nayan Mishra, 32, was arrested from Gautam Buddha Nagar by the STF. He revealed that the aspirants were made to solve the question papers on February 16, around 24 hours before the recruitment examination scheduled on February 17 and 18 earlier this year.

The second kingpin of the paper leak, Ravi Attri was also arrested from Gautam Buddha Nagar on April 10.

More than 400 people have been arrested so far in connection with the paper leak.

ALSO READ:  Inspect each and every school bus, directs Haryana Chief Secretary

–IANS

amita/khz

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Rajkot fire claims 35 lives, DNA tests to identify victims

Published

on

By

Rajkot, May 26 (IANS) The fire at Gamezone amusement park in Rajkot on May 25 resulted in the loss of 35 lives, leaving victims charred beyond recognition that identification is possible only through DNA testing, officials shared.

According to reports, DNA samples were dispatched to Gandhinagar via air ambulance at 4:30 a.m. The results of these tests are expected within 48 hours. So far, 25 DNA samples have been sent, while the relatives of two victims are yet to arrive.

According to sources, some relatives are travelling from Junagadh, and no immediate family member is present for one individual who came from abroad. Sixteen bodies are currently in cold storage at AIIMS, and 11 others are at the Civil Hospital.

“Over 27 bodies have been transported to Rajkot Hospital, where DNA samples will be collected before conducting post-mortem examinations. The Civil Hospital in Rajkot is overwhelmed with the number of deceased. DNA samples from missing family members will also be collected to aid identification. It has been reported that most of the victims are from Gondal, with 31 families still searching for their missing children. More than 10 police teams are involved in documenting the incident, and the death toll may rise above 50,” sources said.

ALSO READ:  Inspect each and every school bus, directs Haryana Chief Secretary

“Families of the injured are heartbroken and in mourning, unable to see their loved ones one last time due to the condition of the bodies,” sources from Rajkot added.

The government has issued orders for an investigation and action against those responsible.

–IANS

janvi/kvd

Continue Reading

National

Rajkot Gamezone fire: Rs 99 scheme led people to death trap

Published

on

By

Rajkot, May 26 (IANS) As the death toll in fire tragedy at the Gamezone amusement park in Rajkot reached 35, it has emerged that the administrators took advantage of the weekend and launched a Rs 99 scheme, drastically reducing the entry fee from Rs 500 to lure the visitors.

Sources said this ill-fated decision, driven by profit, pushed people into a death trap.

According to sources, the Gamezone saw an overwhelming crowd due to the Rs 99 scheme. The entry fee was slashed from Rs 500 to Rs 99 to attract more holiday and weekend visitors. As a result, approximately 300 people had thronged the Gamezone when the fire broke out.

It has come to light that the Gamezone management did not obtain a Fire No Objection Certificate (NOC). To avoid municipal approvals, the Gamezone was set up in a shed, and a three-story facility was launched after only acquiring a ride certificate. The officials responsible for issuing these certificates are now absconding.

ALSO READ:  Not democracy, Congress is in danger: Shivraj Chouhan's reply to Rahul

The fire reportedly started due to a welding spark on a ladder. With only one staircase available, people on the second and third floors were trapped, leading to a higher casualty rate. The fire spread rapidly due to the structure and materials used in the Gamezone.

The Gamezone featured rubber and resin flooring, thermocol sheet partitions, and over a thousand tyres around the car zone, creating a highly flammable environment. Additionally, 1500 litres of diesel stored on-site exacerbated the fire, causing it to become fierce and uncontrollable, the sources added.

–IANS

janvi/uk

Continue Reading

National

Rajkot TRP game zone fire: Investigations reveal management's negligence

Published

on

By

Rajkot, May 26 (IANS) Investigations into the TRP game zone tragedy in Gujarat’s Rajkot that claimed 35 lives have revealed that the incident happened due to its management’s negligence.

The investigations revealed that the TRP game zone had been operating illegally in a residential area for four years without the necessary No Objection Certificate (NOC).

The amusement park was set up in a flimsy shed-like structure to bypass regulatory approvals, the sources said.

Despite this, the sources shared that the facility continued to attract visitors, oblivious to the lurking dangers.

Rajkot Additional Collector Chetan Gandhi did not respond to the media, while Executive Engineer of the Mechanical Department C. C. Patel has disappeared and is not responding to calls.

The Road and Building Department officials are also untraceable, and the officers responsible for issuing the stability certificate are missing.

It was found that the game zone managers had expanded the facility to three stories by obtaining a ride certificate.

ALSO READ:  Deficit snowfall poses growing risk of glacial lake outburst in Himalayas, warn glaciologists

The sources added that they secured permission from the police for the amusement park and sought approval for rides from the mechanical branch, sidestepping comprehensive safety evaluations.

Questions have been raised about the management and safety protocols at the Gamezone.

Reports indicate that 2,000 litres of petrol were stored on-site, ongoing welding activities, and numerous tyres were kept, all without a proper fire No Objection Certificate (NOC).

The state government and the Special Investigation Team (SIT) have pledged thorough investigations and justice for the victims.

Subhash Trivedi, Chairman of the SIT, said, “This is a very tragic incident, and guilty will not be spared. Justice will be served to all,” he said.

Trivedi assured that a proper investigation is underway and concrete actions will be taken against those responsible.

–IANS

janvi/svn

Continue Reading

National

SC to hear on Monday BJP's plea against Calcutta HC order restraining publications of ads against TMC

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) The Supreme Court is slated to hear on Monday the plea filed by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) against a Calcutta High Court order restraining the saffron party from publication of “derogatory” and “offending” advertisements against the Trinamool Congress (TMC).

As per the causelist published on the website of the apex court, a vacation bench of Justices JK Maheshwari and KV Vishwanathan will take up the matter for hearing on May 27.

Earlier on Friday, the special leave petition was mentioned before a vacation bench presided over by Justice Bela M Trivedi for directions seeking urgent listing.

After much persuasion, Justice Trivedi-led Bench said that it would consider listing the matter.

In an order passed this week, Calcutta High passed an ex-parte injunction prohibiting the publication of advertisements which squarely violate the political rights of Trinamool and its functionaries.

A bench of Justice Sabyasachi Bhattacharyya of the high court said that the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) prohibits all participants in the election process from criticism of other parties or their workers based on unverified allegations or distortion.

ALSO READ:  Deficit snowfall poses growing risk of glacial lake outburst in Himalayas, warn glaciologists

It said that the Election Commission of India “grossly failed” to address, in due time, the complaints raised by the ruling Trinamool Congress.

“Accordingly, respondent no. 2 (BJP) is hereby restrained from further continuing with the publication of the offending advertisements… till June 04, 2024, or until further order, whichever is earlier. The respondent no. 2 is further restrained from publishing advertisements in any form of media which is violative of the MCC issued by the ECI during the aforesaid period,” the HC order said.

The special leave petition filed before the Supreme Court stated that the high court “erred” by granting an interim injunction based on the purported violation of MCC without taking into consideration that the issue was pending before the ECI, which has the authority to take appropriate action against any political party.

–IANS

pds/uk

Continue Reading

National

Kidney racket : Kerala SIT reaches Tamil Nadu after prime accused reveals connections

Published

on

By

Chennai, May 26 (IANS) A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Kerala Police reached Tamil Nadu to probe the kidney racket based out of Kerala with international connections.

The special team of the Kerala Police led by a DSP is in the Coimbatore and Pollachi areas of Tamil Nadu after the main accused in a kidney racket, Sabith Nasar (30) revealed his Tamil Nadu connections to the investigation team.

IANS had earlier reported that Tamil Nadu Police have taken into custody a few people who were directly associated with the Kerala kidney racket’s main accused Sabith.

On May 19, Kerala Police arrested Nasar as he returned from Iran, following a tip-off from the Central intelligence agencies. On interrogation, he revealed that he was involved in organ trade and had taken twenty people to Iran for kidney transplant for money.

He also told interrogators that he had received Rs 5 lakh for each kidney transplant and that he had transferred around Rs 10 lakh to each donor. However, sources in the investigation team told IANS that the amount that Sabith and his associates received was much higher and that more people are involved in the racket including a Keralite doctor based out of Iran.

ALSO READ:  Raj Babbar says no division in Congress, rues lack of major development in Gurugram in last 10 years

The Kerala Police team in Tamil Nadu will be conducting a thorough investigation on the contacts of the accused Sabith Nasar and will question a few people who are already in the custody of Tamil Nadu SIT.

During the initial days of questioning, Sabith had revealed that people from Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and a few north Indian states were taken to Iran as organ donors, while he kept silent on the Tamil Nadu connection.

Police teams from both states are conducting a joint investigation on the number of people taken from Tamil Nadu to Iran for kidney trade and the money that was transferred.

–IANS

aal/kvd

Continue Reading

Trending