Connect with us

National

Delhi Mayor elections to be held on April 26

Published

on

New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) The Mayor and Deputy Mayor elections for the Municipal Corporation of Delhi will be held on April 26, an official said on Wednesday.

According to the MCD secretary’s office, the Ordinary April (2024) meeting of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi will be held on Friday, April 26, 2024, at 11.00 a.m. in Aruna Asaf Ali Auditorium, A-Block, 4th Floor, Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Civic Centre, Jawahar Lal Nehru Marg, New Delhi.

“Election of Mayor and Deputy Mayor will also be held in this meeting of the corporation,” it said in an order released on Wednesday.

The MCD House, comprising 250 members, holds significant sway in Delhi’s political landscape. Presently, the AAP holds the majority with 134 councillors, while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) commands 104 seats, with the support of an Independent councillor, elevating its tally to 105.

The Congress trails behind with nine seats, while the remaining members consist of two independent councillors.

ALSO READ:  Delhi court rejects Supertech chairman RK Arora's plea for bail extension

Mayor Shelly Oberoi, Deputy Mayor Aaley Iqbal, and Leader of the House Mukesh Goel currently hold key positions in the MCD.

The question on everyone’s mind is whether AAP leader Shelly Oberoi will retain the position of Mayor or who will be AAP face this time.

This political battle marks the first major electoral event after AAP national convenor and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s arrest by ED in the excise policy case.

–IANS

ssh/uk

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Industry Minister rebuts opposition's charge on Maha losing GAIL India project to MP

Published

on

By

Mumbai, May 28 (IANS) Industry Minister Uday Samant on Tuesday rebutted the Opposition’s charge that Maharashtra has lost a Rs 50,000 crore petrochemical project by the state-run GAIL India to Madhya Pradesh.

“Opposition should not blame the state government for GAIL India’s decision. The company had not submitted a complete proposal to the Maharashtra government. It had requested land in Ratnagiri district but the necessary land was not available at that time with the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC). When the land became available, the company officials referred to the protests that took place in the case of the mega refinery project (Nanar Refinery project in Ratnagiri district). Thereafter, the company did not make any proposal with the state government,” the Industry Minister said.

His response came days after the Leader of the Opposition Ambadas Danve targeted the MahaYuti government over GAIL India’s decision to set up the petrochemical project in Madhya Pradesh

ALSO READ:  Ruchir Sharma's warning to West: Beware of bigger governments you wish for

“The GAIL India was to come up in Chhatrapati Sambhaji Nagar or in Dabhol with an investment of Rs 50,000 crore. Now the project will be set up in Sehore, Madhya Pradesh. How did the company choose Madhya Pradesh when it had earlier thought of setting up the project in Maharashtra? How did Maharashtra’s share of employment go out easily?” Danve asked.

Industry Minister Uday Samant has announced to constitute a high-level committee comprising of principal secretaries of the Industry and Environment Departments to probe the Dombivli chemical company blast in which at least 10 persons died and 60 others were injured.

“The committee will submit its report in three weeks. They will also review the industries of A, B, and C categories. The companies who have violated the rules or have done unauthorised constructions will also be reviewed. The committee will follow the instructions given by Chief Minister Eknath Shinde,” the minister said.

ALSO READ:  Sharad Pawar petitions SC against EC decision recognising Ajit Pawar's side as ‘real’ NCP

He said that the Dombivli blast caused a loss of around Rs 13 crore comprising a commercial loss of Rs 12 crore and a residential loss of Rs 1.66 crore. He added that the Maharashtra government is positive to recover all these losses.

He added that a decision was taken two years ago to relocate chemical companies from Dombivli to other places. The process of land acquisition begun at Patalganga and Jambhavali last year but it was stopped due to the code of conduct.

“Efforts are underway to relocate the companies to other MIDC-run industrial estates and Chemical Zones in Maharashtra. The government is taking steps for that. The state government will take care that these companies do not suffer any loss while migrating to other places,” the minister said.

–IANS

sj/dan

Continue Reading

National

Election Commission revises sixth phase turnout to 63.37 per cent

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) The Election Commission on Tuesday revised the voter turnout in the sixth phase of the Lok Sabha election, spanning 58 seats in 8 states/UTs, to 63.37 per cent, while also releasing the absolute number of voters for the phase.

The previously estimated turnout, released late on Saturday night after polling in the day, was pegged at 61.20 per cent.

According to the revised estimates, the gender-wise turnout was 61.95 per cent for males, 64.95 per cent for females, and 18.67 per cent for third-gender voters.

The turnout ranged from 82.71 per cent in West Bengal (8 seats) to 54.04 per cent in UP (14 seats), while J&K’s Anantnag-Rajouri seat logged an impressive 55.40 per cent – the highest in several decades.

The turnout in other states/UTs was 74.45 per cent in Odisha (6 LS seats and 42 Assembly seats), 65.39 per cent in Jharkhand (4 seats), 64.80 per cent in Haryana (10 seats), 58.69 per cent in Delhi (7 seats), and 57.18 per cent in Bihar (8 seats).

ALSO READ:  ECI removes inspector-in-charge of Baharampur PS days before polls

A total of 889 candidates were in the electoral fray, including Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan from Odisha’s Sambalpur, former Union Maneka Gandhi from UP’s Sultanpur, former Calcutta High Court judge Abhijit Gangophadhyay from West Bengal’s Tamluk, industrialist Naveen Jindal from Haryana’s Kurukshetra (all BJP), Kumari Selja from Haryana’s Sirsa, Deepender Singh Hooda from Haryana’s Rohtak, J.P. Agarwal from Delhi’s Chandni Chowk (all Congress), PDP President and former J&K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti (Anantnag-Rajouri), and actor-politician Deepak Adhikari Dev from West Bengal’s Ghatal (Trinamool Congress).

Other prominent contests included Union Minister Sushma Swaraj’s daughter Bansuri Swaraj making her electoral debut from New Delhi against Aam Aadmi Party’s Somnath Bharti, Congress’ Raj Babbar taking on Union Minister and sitting MP Rao Inderjit Singh in Gurgaon, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s cousin Dharmendra Yadav against sitting BJP MP Dinesh Lal Yadav ‘Nirhua’ in Azamgarh.

–IANS

vd

Continue Reading

National

Naveen Patnaik will soon become ex-CM, says Amit Shah in Odisha

Published

on

By

Bhubaneswar, May 28 (IANS) Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday said that Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik will become the former CM of Odisha after the election results are out on June 4.

“You give BJP more than 75 seats in assembly elections and we promise to give you an Odia-speaking Chief Minister. Naveen Babu ruled Odisha for 25 years but have you ever heard him speaking in Odia? Now a person will become the Chief Minister who will talk to you in Tamil,” the Home Minister said while addressing an election rally.

Amit Shah addressed three election meetings at Chandbali assembly seat in Bhadrak, Nimapara assembly segment under Jagatsinghpur and Korei assembly seat under the Jajpur parliamentary constituencies. Polling will be held in these three parliamentary constituencies on June 1.

“If you elect BJP, I promise you to make a Dhartiputra (son of the soil), young and educated person as the Chief Minister of Odisha who can speak in Odia,” the Home Minister said.

ALSO READ:  Additional CCTV cameras to be installed in strong rooms where EVMs kept, Madras HC told

He said the BJP Chief Minister will be a devotee of Lord Jagannath.

The Home Minister targeted the BJD and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik saying that migration of youths outside the state is continuing despite 25 years of rule of BJD.

He added that Odisha is enriched with different types of natural resources but the Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik with the instructions of some officers sent the natural resources outside Odisha.

He added that the people from Tamil Nadu are getting mining, infrastructure contracts and jobs in Odisha. He advised Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to contest elections from Tamil Nadu instead of Odisha.

Amit Shah assured to make public the report of the commission set up to probe into the missing keys of Ratna Bhandar (treasury of Shree Jagannath Temple at Puri) within 100 days of coming to power and also promised to open all the doors of the Jagannath temple.

ALSO READ:  Sharad Pawar petitions SC against EC decision recognising Ajit Pawar's side as ‘real’ NCP

He also assured to put behind bars the guilty persons involved in the multi-crore Chit Fund scam within 18 months after the formation of the BJP government in Odisha.

Amit Shah also attacked Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, saying that the BJP doesn’t fear the nuclear arsenal of Pakistan. “We will bring back PoK,” the Home Minister said.

Notably, voting for the assembly and Lok Sabha elections is being held simultaneously in Odisha.

–IANS

gyan/dan

Continue Reading

National

Narendra Modi will become PM for 3rd time: Ex- Haryana CM Khattar

Published

on

By

Gurugram, May 28 (IANS) Former Haryana Chief Minister M.L. Khattar said on Tuesday that the BJP will win all 10 Lok Sabha seats in Haryana and Narendra Modi will become the country’s Prime Minister for the third consecutive time.

He also claimed that the lone Assembly seat in Karnal will also be won by the saffron party.

“Congress has appeared nervous throughout the elections, which will be the biggest reason for Congress’s defeat,” the former Chief Minister said while addressing a press conference here at the BJP office.

While addressing the media, former Chief Minister Khattar also raised the issue of bogus votes.

He also spoke about taking strict action against those officials who harassed people despite the implementation of the Model Code of Conduct.

“In the six phases of elections held so far, NDA has won 360 to 370 seats. Now, as soon as the seventh phase of elections is completed, we will cross the 400-mark and a strong government will be formed under the leadership of Narendra Modi ji,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Sharad Pawar petitions SC against EC decision recognising Ajit Pawar's side as ‘real’ NCP

Launching a scathing attack at the Opposition INDIA bloc, the former Chief Minister said that INDIA bloc members could not even choose a single universally accepted leader.

“A lot of differences have been seen within the Opposition. Every leader which is part of the INDIA bloc is desperate to win elections and become the Prime Minister of the country.”

While slamming Congress, the former Chief Minister said that Congress used to scare people in the name of Ram Temple and abrogation of Article 370 but the Modi government built the Ram Temple, removed Article 370 and abolished triple talaq.

He added that Congress considers Muslims as a votebank.

“Congress wants to give OBC reservations to Muslims, but Prime Minister Modi will not allow this to happen.”

The former Chief Minister said that Congress made false promises in the Lok Sabha elections that if Congress formed the government, Rs 1 lakh would be given to women.

ALSO READ:  Additional CCTV cameras to be installed in strong rooms where EVMs kept, Madras HC told

He asked the Congress how Rs 100,000 will be given to 40 crore people.

“They (Congress) don’t even have any such plan. The opposition is only doing politics of lies.”

He added that the Aam Aadmi Party’s statements that Haryana is blocking water was wrong.

He claimed that water is being provided from Haryana to Delhi like before.

The former Chief Minister said that the voting percentage this time was four per cent less as compared to the 2019 Lok Sabha election.

Election analysts have said that Lok Sabha poll result is in favour of the BJP which will be out on June 4.

However, Former Chief Minister Khattar accepted that the victory margin of the BJP will be less in Rohtak and Sirsa, but BJP will win all 10 Lok Sabha seats.

“The Nayab Singh Saini-led BJP government has a complete majority. There will be 41 MLAs on June 4. Two JJP MLAs are with us. We have 45 MLAs out of 88. Our government is in the majority. We have 2 JJPs, one Haryana Lokhit Party, and three Independent MLAs. There is no threat to our government. The BJP government will complete its term in the state,” he added.

ALSO READ:  Delhi court rejects Supertech chairman RK Arora's plea for bail extension

–IANS

str/khz

Continue Reading

National

TN SIT takes three into custody in Kerala kidney racket case

Published

on

By

Chennai, May 28 (IANS) The Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Tamil Nadu Police has taken three persons into custody from different parts of the state in connection with a kidney racket based out of Kerala with international connections.

Those taken into custody were allegedly involved in connecting kidney donors with recipients, police sources said.

On May 19, Kerala Police arrested a person named Sabith Nasar (30) after he returned from Iran following inputs from central intelligence agencies, which were monitoring his whereabouts for the past couple of months.

While Nasar admitted to being involved in the illegal sale of kidneys of around 20 people in Iran, the police suspect the involvement of more people in this case.

During questioning, the accused disclosed the involvement of another person named Sajith Shyam, a resident of Kochi, who Nasar claimed was the person behind the money transactions in the kidney racket.

Nasar and Shyam, who was arrested later, revealed the presence of many agents in various parts of the country, including in several north Indian states.

ALSO READ:  Sharad Pawar petitions SC against EC decision recognising Ajit Pawar's side as ‘real’ NCP

The Tamil Nadu Police began a parallel investigation into the case and directed all the DSPs to conduct a probe into the missing person cases in their respective jurisdictions.

Based on this probe, three persons were taken into custody from Coimbatore and Pollachi, who, according to the police, admitted to having connections with Nasar.

The Tamil Nadu Police are also probing the involvement of certain persons in the coastal regions of the state who went to Middle Eastern countries recently.

–IANS

aal/khz/arm

Continue Reading

Trending