Connect with us

National

Delhi Police nab teenager wanted for murder

Published

on

New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) A teenager, allegedly hired by a man to kill his son, was arrested by the Crime Branch, said a Delhi Police official, adding that the accused was on the run since the commission of the crime in March.

The 18-year-old accused was identified as Lakshay a.k.a Ankush, a resident of Devli.

According to police, on March 7, one Gaurav was attacked with an iron rod and scissors in the Tigri area and was declared brought dead to the Max Hospital.

During the probe, it was revealed that Gaurav’s father was the main conspirator of the murder. He engaged three boys namely Lakshay, Sahil and Abhishek in his plan to kill his son.

“Two accused were arrested by the local police and Lakshay had been absconding since then,” said the official.

However, recently, input was received that a wanted criminal, Lakshay, was hiding somewhere in Mumbai. “Furthermore reliable information was collected and it was found that Lakhshay was coming from Mumbai to Delhi and would meet his sister in front of Batra Hospital,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime) Amit Goel.

ALSO READ:  TMC to launch mass outreach programme to counter BJP's CAA narratives

On April 26, based on manual information, a trap was laid near Batra Hospital, Delhi and Lakshay was arrested.

On interrogation, Lakshay disclosed that he was in touch with the father of the deceased, who had allured him and his accomplices by the offer of Rs 75,000 for murdering his son.

“On the intervening night of March 6 and 7, all of them executed the murder. After committing the murder, Lakshay was evading his arrest and hiding somewhere in Mumbai. After that he came to Delhi to meet his sister,” the DCP added.

–IANS

ssh/dpb

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Ending 'VIP culture', Assam CM to pay own electricity bills

Published

on

By

Guwahati, June 17 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Sunday announced that the state government has decided to end the ‘VIP culture’ rule in paying power bills of senior government officials including the ministers.

CM Sarma said that from July 1, he will also pay the electricity bills of his residence.

“In the last 75 years after India got Independence, no Chief Minister in Assam had paid power bills on their own and the state government took the burden of paying it. Even though I was also enjoying free electricity for the last three years and I was unaware of the fact,” he said.

Sarma said that soon after came to know that from a particular fund of the state government, the bills were paid, he issued an order to install electricity meters in the Chief Minister’s residence.

He mentioned that all the ministers in the state will pay their own power bills starting July 1.

ALSO READ:  'Will refraining from accusing BJD MP Pinaki Misra of conspiracy against PM', Adv Anant Dehadrai assures Delhi HC (Ld)

The senior government officials including those working in the state secretariat will have to pay bills for their own electricity consumption.

“We have already informed the senior state government officials about not getting free electricity anymore if they are staying at the quarters,” the Chief Minister added.

He asserted that this decision will ease the burden of the state government and the power department will not have to hike the electricity tariffs.

Sarma said that to set an example, he and the Chief Secretary of the state will start paying their electricity bills from July 1 onwards.

Taking to his X handle, the Chief Minister wrote: “We are ending the #VIPCulture rule of paying electricity bills of Government officials using taxpayer money.

“Myself and the Chief Secretary will set an example and start paying our power bills from July 1 onwards. Beginning July 2024, all public servants will have to pay for their own electricity consumption,” he added.

ALSO READ:  One more MLA to be given show-cause notice for anti-party activities: AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal

–IANS

tdr/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Online helicopter service booking begins for Amarnath Yatra

Published

on

By

Srinagar, June 17 (IANS) Online booking of helicopter service for this year’s Amarnath Yatra began on Sunday. Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB) has started the facility for both Baltal and Pahalgam yatra routes for this year’s 52-day long Shri Amarnath Yatra starting on June 29.

A statement by SASB said on Sunday that the annual pilgrimage of Amarnath is starting on June 29 and will conclude on August 19 on the day of Raksha Bandhan coinciding with Shravan Purnima festival.

Officials said that for the north Kashmir Baltal route, helicopter service is being provided on Neelgrath- Panjtarni-Neelgrath, and for Pahalgam route, it will be available on Pahalgam-Panjtarni-Pahalgam route.

However, officials added that online booking of the helicopter service can be availed by visiting the official website JKSASB.nic.in

“Offline tickets or priority will not be available, hence the booking will be on a first come first serve basis and will be provided directly to the devotees,” an official said, adding that one way fare from Pahalgam to Panjtarni has been fixed at Rs 4,900; two-way fare at Rs 9,800; one way fare from Neelgrath to Panjtarni has been fixed at Rs 3,250 and both way fare at Rs 6,500.

ALSO READ:  Scam victim's own bank job ruse ends in arrest

Pilgrims undertaking the yatra must have a health certificate while booking the helicopter tickets.

Journey from Panjtarni helipad to the holy cave and back takes time, so the available slots for the pilgrims will be visible with a gap of at least 5 to 6 hours between the trips.

“The traveller must carry original photo identity card and a health certificate during the journey while the pilgrims must reach the respective helipads at least 30 minutes before the booked time slot.

“Charter booking is only allowed for travel between Srinagar and Neelgrath with priority seats on the connecting service running between Neelgrath and Panjtarni,” a statement noted.

“The preparations for the pilgrimage are in full swing. The advance registration for pilgrims has already started from April 15. This year, 125 langars have been permitted to be installed up to the holy cave,” an official said.

J&K Lt. Governor, Manoj Sinha, on May 16, during his visit to Katra, urged devotees to become messengers and spread the message of Lord Shiva.

ALSO READ:  TMC to launch mass outreach programme to counter BJP's CAA narratives

–IANS

sq/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Assam Police foil drug peddling attempt; 3 arrested

Published

on

By

Guwahati, June 16 (IANS) Assam Police have foiled an inter-state drug peddling attempt and arrested three narcotics peddlers including one resident of violence-hit Manipur on Sunday, officials said.

According to the police, the consignment of drugs was coming from Manipur and the peddlers were trying to deliver it somewhere in Goalpara district in Assam. However, the police foiled that attempt and seized contraband items.

An official said that the Special Task Force (STF) of Assam Police received prior information about the movement of narcotics in two vehicles.

“We received information that a notorious drug peddler, namely, Nasiruddin a.k.a. Nasir Bhai of Goalpara district and his associates in two vehicles would receive a narcotics consignment bound from Sora in Manipur to Goalpara which would be carried by a Manipuri carrier, namely Salim. He is a resident of Sora in the neighbouring state of Manipur,” he added.

The police said that a vehicle was intercepted in front of Boko Police Station in the Kamrup district and recovered at least 30 packets of heroin kept in a bag.

ALSO READ:  NDA means Naidu-Nitish dependent alliance: Congress' bitter barb at Modi 3.0

“The total weight of the seized narcotics substances was 420 grams. Three occupants of the vehicle, Nasir Bhai, Atikur and the Manipuri carrier Salim were apprehended,” a police officer said.

However, a second escorting vehicle which was looking out for police checks escaped.

The house of the driver, Shohidul Islam of Matia area was searched, but he escaped, leaving behind the vehicle and his family members resisted and facilitated his escape, according to a statement by the police.

Necessary legal actions in the matter were initiated, police mentioned.

Meanwhile, in a joint operation of Border Security Force (BSF) and Assam Police, at least 30,000 Yaba tablets were seized in Karimganj district on Sunday.

The BSF said that the market value of the seized contraband items must be around Rs 3 crore.

Two drug peddlers identified as Atikul Rehman and Saharul Islam were arrested. Both of them are residents of Karimganj district.

–IANS

tdr/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Haryana to soon start recruitment of 'Van Mitras'

Published

on

By

Chandigarh, June 16 (IANS) Haryana Chief Minister Nayab Singh Saini on Sunday announced that recruitment of ‘Van Mitras’, who will be given an honorarium to take care of newly planted tree saplings, under the ‘Van Mitra’ Scheme will begin soon.

Presiding over a review meeting of the Forest and Wildlife Department, he also warned that if there is a delay in extinguishing the fire in forests, “accountability will be fixed from forest guards to senior officers”.

He directed the officers to ensure arrangements for supplying water from canals or tube-wells to national parks like Kalesar, Sultanpur and other dense forests so that this water can be used by wildlife during extreme heat and to aid in extinguishing fires.

The CM directed the officers to regularly map existing plants and those planted annually under the plantation campaign using drones.

He reviewed in detail the annual plantation drive conducted by the Forest Department and directed that these plants be geo-tagged and their growth should be monitored for five years with the help of drones.

ALSO READ:  Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik opens Kalinga Literary Festival

The Chief Minister was informed that a budget of Rs 150 crore has been allocated for the plantation drive for 2024-25, while Rs 10 crore will be spent on herbal parks.

He also said illegal cutting of trees from the forest areas will not be tolerated, and if any employee is found to be complicit, action will be taken against them.

He also released a brochure for the ‘Pran Vayu Devta’ scheme. The Chief Minister was also informed that under the scheme, the state government plans to provide an annual pension of Rs 2,750 to those who take care of trees over 75 years old. So far, 3,819 such trees have been identified under the scheme.

–IANS

vg/vd

Continue Reading

National

Eknath Shinde defends Sena leader Waikar's LS poll victory, dismisses oppn's 'EVM malfunction' claims

Published

on

By

Mumbai, June 16 (IANS) Maharashtra Chief Minister and Shiv Sena supremo Eknath Shinde on Sunday strongly defended the victory of his party leader Ravindra Waikar from Mumbai North West constituency against Shiv Sena (UBT) candidate Amol Kirtikar while dismissing the opposition’s charges of malfunctioning of EVMs at the counting centre.

The Maharashtra Chief Minister also questioned the opposition’s move to raise doubts over the EVMs’ functioning only in case of Waikar’s victory.

“The people of the constituency have elected Ravindra Waikar, and it is a people’s victory. The opposition is misleading the people over the EVM,” Shinde said while taking a swipe at the opposition, reiterating that Waikar had been elected by the people.

Waikar has rebutted the opposition charges, saying that it has been done because of its defeat.

“There were policemen, candidates and the candidates’ representatives present at the counting centre. So how can Ravindra Waikar go in and do something different? I don’t know how this is possible. The Opposition is unable to digest its defeat and therefore these allegations are made,” he said.

ALSO READ:  'Will refraining from accusing BJD MP Pinaki Misra of conspiracy against PM', Adv Anant Dehadrai assures Delhi HC (Ld)

Meanwhile, the Returning Officer of Mumbai North West Constituency Vandana Suryavanshi has also denied the malfunctioning of the EVMs.

”EVMs are standalone devices without any wired or wireless connectivity with units outside the EVM system. Advanced technical features and robust administrative safeguards are in place to rule out any possibility of manipulation. Standards include conducting everything in the presence of candidates or their agents,” the Returning Officer said.

The denial by Shinde, Waikar and the Returning Officer came after the Opposition alleged that there was a malpractice in the counting of votes in Mumbai North West constituency.

Waikar defeated Kirtikar by just 48 votes.

Waikar’s brother-in-law has been accused of taking a mobile phone to the counting centre.

–IANS

sj/pgh

Continue Reading

Trending