Connect with us

National

Eastern Naga body to 'abstain' from, not 'boycott' Lok Sabha poll in Nagaland

Published

on

Kohima, April 15 (IANS) Eastern Nagaland People’s Organisation (ENPO) President R. Tsapikiu Sangtam on Monday clarified that the people of eastern Nagaland, comprising six districts, would not “boycott” the coming Lok Sabha elections but “abstain” from the electoral process.

He said that there would be no obstruction to polling and election-related official and other activities in the six districts, despite the decision of eastern Nagaland’s people to abstain from casting their ballots in the April 19 election to the state’s sole Lok Sabha seat.

Sangtam, while talking to the media, said that though the normal polling process would continue in all the ENPO areas, the public would abstain from the electoral process. He reiterated the ENPO’s call to the people of the eastern region to stand in solidarity with the decision taken earlier.

Acknowledging the citizens’ right to vote, the Naga leader also highlighted their equal right to refrain from voting.

ALSO READ:  BJD and BJP governing Odisha in partnership: Rahul Gandhi

“People of eastern Nagaland are unhappy with the indifferent attitude of the governments and treatment meted out to them by both the Central and state governments. People of the region had chosen to express their dissatisfaction at the highest level,” he said.

The ENPO, which has been demanding a separate administration or state comprising six backward Nagaland districts since 2010, earlier urged the people to boycott the April 19 elections to the lone Lok Sabha seat in the state unless their demand is met, despite the appeals from the state government and various other parties.

The agitating ENPO in support of its demand since March 8, has imposed a “public emergency” affecting normal activities.

Meanwhile, the Election Commission is getting ready to hold the polls for the Nagaland seat in the state on Friday.

Election officials said that they are making all-out efforts to conduct the voting in the eastern Nagaland areas, comprising 20 of the 60 assembly seats, in six eastern districts — Kiphire, Longleng, Mon, Noklak, Shamator, and Tuensang.

ALSO READ:  BJP won’t ally with Uddhav Thackeray, nor in talks with Raj Thackeray: Devendra Fadnavis

Urging the ENPO to participate in the voting, Deputy Chief Minister and BJP Legislature Party leader Yanthungo Patton had earlier said that polling stations would be set up across the state, including eastern Nagaland.

Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio earlier held a meeting with officials of the eastern Nagaland region and requested them to persuade the ENPO to withdraw the boycott call. Rio, who is sympathetic to the demand of the ENPO, recently said that the state government has already recommended, to the Centre, that an autonomous region be set up for the people of the eastern region.

Of Nagaland’s 16 districts, seven backward tribes — Chang, Khiamniungan, Konyak, Phom, Tikhir, Sangtam, and Yimkhiung — live in the six eastern districts. The ENPO, the apex Naga body, and its associated organisations, in support of its separate state demand, gave a call to boycott last year’s Assembly polls (February 27) but later withdrew it following an assurance from Union Home Minister Amit Shah. The Union Home Ministry, responding to the ENPO’s demand, last year formed a three-member committee, headed by Adviser, Northeast, A.K. Mishra to study their demand, and the panel visited Nagaland several times and spoke with all stakeholders.

ALSO READ:  Don't eat for 2-days if your parents don't vote for me: Shiv Sena MLA tells schoolchildren

The BJP, which is a partner of the United Democratic Alliance government in Nagaland and the Eastern Nagaland Legislative Union (ENLU), a body of 20 MLAs representing the six backward districts, earlier separately urged the ENPO to participate in the voting.

–IANS

sc/vd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

LS polls: MK Stalin says communal forces trembling with fear anticipating defeat

Published

on

By

Chennai, May 26 (IANS) Asserting that communal forces were trembling with fear in anticipation of defeat in the Lok Sabha polls, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin called upon the DMK cadres to “dedicate the victory of the INDIA bloc to the memory of his father and (late) former chief minister, M. Karunanidhi”.

In a statement on Sunday, Stalin said that M. Karunanidhi’s birth centenary falls on June 3. “The results will be out on June 4. Let us hoist the flag of victory and dedicate the victory of the INDIA bloc to our leader Kalaignar Karunanidhi.”

Stalin said that the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) for elections had come in the way of celebrating the centenary of M. Karunanidhi. Still, the election-related work carried out by the party cadres was a tribute to his memory.

The Chief Minister said: “No one could deny his contribution. He upheld federalism and state autonomy.”

ALSO READ:  Rajasthan Govt to reach out to UK Govt to find names of 24 martyrs of 1857 Revolt

Stalin, also the president of the DMK, said that the party was synonymous with social justice, communal harmony, rights of the ordinary people, and saving Tamils from the onslaught of the “oppressors’ language” and pioneering schemes.

The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, further targetting the Opposition, said: “We can hear them lamenting on the prospect of the INDIA bloc forming a ‘new India’.”

–IANS

aal/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Delhi fire tragedy: Hospital had been in row earlier over nurse's abusive behaviour

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) The Delhi hospital, where seven children were killed after a massive fire broke out late on Saturday, had faced allegations of abuse to a newborn child in the past.

Care New Born and Child Hospital owner, Dr Naveen Kichi, was arrested on Sunday, had moved the Delhi High Court seeking the quashing of an FIR registered against him in 2021 over the allegation that a hospital nurse had beaten a newborn infant.

In that case, he had contended that the allegations in the FIR as well as the CCTV footage only showed allegations against the nurse and he had nothing to do with the allegations in the FIR.

Later, he chose to withdraw his plea since the police charge sheet did not name him as an accused or as a witness.

Dr Kichi, a resident of Bhairon Enclave, Paschim Vihar, was granted anticipatory bail by the high court in the case in December 2021.

ALSO READ:  Rajasthan Govt to reach out to UK Govt to find names of 24 martyrs of 1857 Revolt

Meanwhile, a police probe into the incident has revealed that the licence issued to the hospital by the state government had expired on March 31 and doctors holding BAMS degrees were handling Neonatal Intensive care.

According to police, the fire at the hospital was reported to the Vivek Vihar police station around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday, following which a police team rushed to the spot. As per Deputy Commissioner of Police (Shahdara) Surendra Chaudhary, all the 12 newborn babies were rescued from the hospital with the help of other people and shifted to East Delhi Advance NICU Hospital.

Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg said that seven children were declared dead at the hospital while five other babies are undergoing treatment.

–IANS

pds/vd

Continue Reading

National

Rajkot game zone fire: Search for missing individuals continues; relatives anxious

Published

on

By

Rajkot, May 26 (IANS) The search for the missing persons in the TRP Game Zone here continued on Sunday a day after a massive fire claimed the lives of at least 35 people including children.

Relatives of those yet to be found or identified among the missing and dead waited anxiously at the site of tragedy as rescue workers continued a relentless search operation.

Meanwhile, several bodies were also awaiting identification at Rajkot Civil Hospital.

“Rescue workers were continuously bringing out charred bodies but no information about my relatives was available. The five missing relatives are Khushali Dusara, Vivekbhai Dusara, Isha Modasia, Smiley, and Himanshu Parmar,” a Rajkot resident, Dilipbhai Modasia, said.

Another city resident, Devikaba Jadeja, said that her father Virendrasinh Jadeja remains missing.

Virendrasinh Jadeja disappeared after he rushed to the upper floor of the game zone to save his son and three other relatives when the fire erupted.

“Authorities are currently listing him as ‘missing’ and we are anxiously waiting for the DNA test results to confirm their identities,” she said.

ALSO READ:  SpiceJet’s Board approves allotment of 4.01 cr shares to two investors, raises additional Rs 316 cr

Officials have recovered five drums of ethyl acetate, a highly flammable compound, from a repair site at the gaming zone.

Besides, liquor was also seized from the amusement park administrators’ office.

An NDRF team remains on standby at the site of the incident.

Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel earlier on Sunday conducted an on-site assessment.

The Chief Minister also visited the Rajkot AIIMS and other hospitals to check on the injured and interacted with the injured and their families.

He also met the families of those who lost their lives, offered condolences, and assured them full support.

Meanwhile, the Rajkot Merchants’ Association has announced that all markets in the city will remain closed until 1 p.m. on May 27.

–IANS

janvi/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Gurugram: Man kills girlfriend over 'blackmail', surrenders to police

Published

on

By

Gurugram, May 26 (IANS) A man allegedly stabbed his girlfriend to death in Gurugram late on Saturday and then, surrendered to the police, police said on Sunday.

Both the accused and the deceased hailed from Maharashtra’s Akola district.

According to the police, they received information about the murder of a 22-year-old woman in a PG located in Tikri village, under the Sadar police station area, on Saturday night, and a police team, along with forensic science and fingerprint teams reached the spot.

“At the spot, the woman’s body was found lying in a pool of blood. Stabbing marks were found on her head and neck. The post-mortem examination was also conducted,” a senior police officer said.

The man came to the Sadar police station and told the policemen on duty that he had killed his girlfriend.

Police suspect that the matter relates to a love affair.

The woman had reportedly come to the city two to three days ago to meet the man.

ALSO READ:  Don't eat for 2-days if your parents don't vote for me: Shiv Sena MLA tells schoolchildren

The accused told the police that she had filed a rape case against him in Maharashtra and was blackmailing him. She came to Gurugram in this connection, a quarrel broke out between them, and he killed her in a fit of rage, he said.

“All the facts are being investigated. A case of murder has been registered against the man and he has been arrested,” the SHO, Sadar Police Station, said.

–IANS

str/vd

Continue Reading

National

Cyclone Remal: NE states on high alert, local officials asked to be prepared

Published

on

By

Guwahati/Agartala, May 26 (IANS) Ahead of the approaching severe cyclonic storm “Remal”, disaster management authorities and security forces in various northeastern states have been placed on high alert and district administrations asked to take advance precautionary steps.

According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecast, Cyclone Remal, predicted to cross the coast on Sunday midnight, is forecast to make landfall between Sagar Island along West Bengal and Khepupara in Bangladesh and intensify into a severe cyclone.

Currently, a maximum sustained wind speed of 110-120 kmph, gusting to 135 kmph, prevails around the cyclone centre.

The outer cloud band lies over coastal areas of Bangladesh and West Bengal leading to heavy rainfall activity. The cyclone is under the continuous surveillance of the Kolkata Doppler Weather Radar, an IMD statement said late on Sunday.

The Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Manipur, and Mizoram governments have issued separate advisories and asked the National Disaster Response Force, State Disaster Response Forces, district administrations and other departments concerned to remain maximum vigilant and ready to meet any eventualities.

ALSO READ:  Woman gives birth to baby girl inside ambulance in Goa

The Assam government has taken measures to ensure the safety and well-being of its citizens in light of the impending increase in rainfall and wind speeds due to cyclone Remal.

The Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) said that the IMD has warned of extremely heavy rainfall over Assam along with other northeastern states on May 27 and 28.

Orange alert has been issued for Dhubri, South Salmara, Bongaigaon, Bajali, Tamulpur, Barpeta, Nalbari, Morigaon, Nagaon, Hojai, and West Karbi Anglong districts and Red Alert for extremely heavy rainfall in Chirang, Goalpara, Baksa, Dima Hasao, Cachar, Hailakandi and Karimganj districts, an ASDMA statement said.

It said that squally winds of 40-50 kmph gusting to 60 kmph are likely over south Assam and Meghalaya on Monday.

A Meghalaya government notification said that the state government urged residents to remain vigilant, ensure that emergency kits are prepared, avoid unnecessary travel during this period and stay updated with the latest weather reports.

ALSO READ:  Rajasthan Govt to reach out to UK Govt to find names of 24 martyrs of 1857 Revolt

In light of the imminent weather threat, authorities emphasised the importance of preparedness. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for cyclones provide essential guidelines for emergency responses, the notification said.

The Tripura government, in view of the cyclonic storm “Remal”, has closed all educational institutions including universities on May 27 and 28.

Tripura Revenue Secretary Brijesh Pandey said that in view of cyclone Remal’s impact on the coastal region of West Bengal, including Kolkata, all kinds of flight operations in the Kolkata-Agartala route were suspended till 9 a.m. on Monday.

However, the flight services on other routes — Agartala-Guwahati, Agartala-Delhi, and Agartala-Bengaluru — are operating normally.

The first cyclone in the Bay of Bengal in this pre-monsoon season, it has been named “Remal” (or sand in Arabic), according to a system of naming cyclones in the Indian Ocean region.

–IANS

sc/vd

Continue Reading

Trending