Connect with us

National

Eight killed in two road accidents in Andhra Pradesh

Published

on

Amaravati, May 27 (IANS) Eight people have been killed in two separate accidents in Andhra Pradesh on Monday, police said.

A car overturned after hitting a road divider in Tirupati district, killing four persons and injuring two others.

The accident occurred on Puthalapattu-Naidupeta highway near M. Kongaravaripalli in Chandragiri mandal early Monday morning.

The car was on its way to Vellore from Nellore. The deceased are identified as Seshaiah, his wife Jayanti, their relative Padmamma and car’s driver Sameer. They were all residents of Nellore district.

Four persons died and another was injured in a separate accident in Krishna district. According to police a car rammed into a truck coming from the opposite direction after hitting the divider. The accident occurred in Bapulapadu mandal on Chennai-Kolkata National Highway.

The car was heading towards Tamil Nadu from Kovuru. The deceased are identified as Swaminathan (35), Gopi (31), Radha Priya (14) and Rakesh (12). The injured was admitted to Vijayawada government hospital.

ALSO READ:  Yogi govt to foster skill development in 47 ITI, Polytechnics through PSP module

In yet another accident in Tirupati district, two persons escaped with minor injuries when the car in which they were travelling caught fire after it overturned due to a collision against the divider. The car caught fire after rolling on the other side of the road. Both the occupants came out before the entire vehicle was engulfed by the flames. They sustained minor injuries and were taken to a hospital.

–IANS

ms/kvd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

'No need to panic': K'taka minister to industry leaders after govt withholds job quota bill

Published

on

By

'No need to panic': K'taka minister to industry leaders after govt withholds job quota bill

'No need to panic': K'taka minister to industry leaders after govt withholds job quota bill

Bengaluru, July 18 (IANS) Karnataka’s Minister for Large and Medium Industries M.B. Patil has justified the Congress government’s decision to withhold the introduction of the bill providing reservation of jobs in the private sector for Kannadigas and assured industry leaders that they “need not to panic”.

Patil took to social media platform X on Wednesday and stated that Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has taken due cognisance and the bill is “withheld until further consultations and due diligence”.

“The government is committed to further creation of jobs, and furthermore for Kannadigas, however in a more amicable manner,” he said.

Meanwhile, state IT & BT Minister Priyank Kharge slammed Andhra Pradesh HRD Minister Nara Lokesh’s call for NASSCOM members to relocate businesses to Vizag from Bengaluru in the backdrop of the proposed bill.

“Karnataka has always excelled in the most of the sectors due to our consistent relationships and consultative approach with industry leaders, advisory bodies, and consortiums in drafting policies and schemes. As with previous initiatives, this draft bill will include recommendations from our industry partners,” the IT Minister said in a post on X.

ALSO READ:  Union Minister Chandrasekhar plans to make Thiruvananthapuram 'focal point' for 2036 Olympics readiness

“Our goal is to develop a global workforce using local talent, while also encouraging global investments and creating employment opportunities,” he said.

“By the way, wouldn’t you also like to ensure that every company invested in Andhra Pradesh employs deserving, trained and skilled individuals from Andhra Pradesh?” Priyank Kharge asked Lokesh.

“Dear NASSCOM members, be rest assured, we will not do anything that will not withstand legal scrutiny. This is your government and as always we are just a call away,” he added.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Congress-led Karnataka government the bill is still in the preparation stage. The proposed bill has faced stiff opposition from industry bodies and business tycoons.

“The draft bill intended to provide reservations for Kannadigas in private sector companies, industries, and enterprises is still in the preparation stage,” the Chief Minister wrote on X.

He further said that a comprehensive discussion will be held in the next Cabinet meeting to make a final decision.

ALSO READ:  ‘I am UKG student, will study my ministries in detail’, says Suresh Gopi after taking charge

–IANS

mka/sha

Continue Reading

National

Bengal govt sets up panel to review new criminal laws, Guv questions move

Published

on

By

Bengal govt sets up panel to review new criminal laws, Guv questions move

Bengal govt sets up panel to review new criminal laws, Guv questions move

Kolkata, July 18 (IANS) With the West Bengal government issuing a notification on Wednesday evening regarding the formation of a seven-member committee to review the three new criminal laws, Governor C.V. Ananda Bose immediately raised questions on the objectives of the panel.

“The state government is pleased hereby to constitute a committee for reviewing the said criminal laws, i.e. Bharatiya Nyaya Sanita, 2023 (BNS), the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, 2023 (BNSS) and the Bharatiya Sakshya Adhiniyam, 2023 (BSA),” read the notification released by the state government.

The office of the Governor, within an hour, sought a report from Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on the objectives of the committee.

In the statement, Governor Bose also reminded the Chief Minister that West Bengal cannot be a “banana republic”.

“The West Bengal Governor has called upon Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to furnish an immediate report on the objectives of the committee for the review of the amended CRPC, IPC and Evidence Act. Governor wants specific report on whether the West Bengal government, has responded to the proposal on time when asked for by Govt of India,” the Governor’s office said.

ALSO READ:  ‘I am UKG student, will study my ministries in detail’, says Suresh Gopi after taking charge

–IANS

src/sha

Continue Reading

National

Assam Rifles chief briefs Manipur Governor about security situation, preparedness

Published

on

By

Assam Rifles chief briefs Manipur Governor about security situation, preparedness

Assam Rifles chief briefs Manipur Governor about security situation, preparedness

Imphal, July 17 (IANS) Assam Rifles Director General Lt. Gen. Pradeep Chandran Nair on Wednesday briefed Manipur Governor Anusuiya Uikey about the prevailing security situation in the state.

A Raj Bhavan official said that Lt Gen Nair, accompanied by the force’s Inspector General, South, Major Gen. Ravroop Singh, informed her about the deployment of Assam Rifles personnel in the state in the wake of the ethnic conflict which has been continuing since May last year.

They also explained in detail about the preparedness of the force to face any eventualities at any point in time in the state, the Raj Bhavan official said.

The Governor often holds meetings with top officials, including Chief Secretary Vineet Joshi, the state government’s Chief Security Advisor Kuldiep Singh, and Director General of Police Rajiv Singh to review the prevailing situation in the state.

The ethnic strife-devastated Manipur still witnesses incidents of violence. A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan was killed and three other security personnel got injured when suspected militants ambushed a joint patrol party in Jiribam district earlier this week. The three injured include a CRPF jawan and two Manipur Police personnel.

ALSO READ:  ‘I am UKG student, will study my ministries in detail’, says Suresh Gopi after taking charge

Jiribam witnessed a wave of violence after the killing of 59-year-old farmer Soibam Saratkumar Singh on June 6, leading to 900 tribals belonging to the Kuki and Hmar communities taking shelter at the homes of relatives and friends in two villages in Cachar district of southern Assam, while around 1,000 people, mostly belonging to the Meitei community, are now sheltered in seven relief camps in Jiribam.

–IANS

sc/vd

Continue Reading

National

Haryana CM opens Asia's largest apple market in Pinjore

Published

on

By

Haryana CM opens Asia's largest apple market in Pinjore

Haryana CM opens Asia's largest apple market in Pinjore

Chandigarh, July 17 (IANS) Haryana Chief Minister Nayab Singh Saini on Wednesday inaugurated the first phase of Asia’s largest modern apple, fruit, and vegetable market in Pinjore in Panchkula district.

To boost business in the modern apple, fruit, and vegetable market, he also announced the reduction of market fees from one per cent to 0.5 per cent. Besides, he also announced the expansion of the Haryana Mukhyamantri Kisan Evam Khetihar Mazdoor Jiwan Suraksha Yojana, 2013, increasing the upper age limit from 65 years to 75 years.

The Chief Minister said previously no compensation was provided for accidents caused by lightning strikes on farmers and farm labourers. Now, such accidents will also be covered under this scheme.

He also said under the Atal Kisan Mazdoor Canteen Scheme the government has decided to open 100 canteens in the state to provide subsidised meals at Rs 10 per plate throughout the year to farmers and labourers. So far, 48 canteens have been made operational and other canteens will also be opened soon.

ALSO READ:  ‘I am UKG student, will study my ministries in detail’, says Suresh Gopi after taking charge

Regarding the Vivadon Ka Samadhan policy, he announced no compound interest will be charged from all plot holders in the market yard and all outstanding amounts will be calculated at simple interest only. Additionally, no penal interest will be charged if the instalment is paid within 20 days of the due date. He also announced the abolition of HRDF on all fruits and vegetables and extended the Vivadon Ka Samadhan scheme till September 30.

Earlier, the Chief Minister laid the foundation stone for the construction of a new grain market at Sagga village in Karnal district, costing Rs 8.99 crore, and the special repair works of the Babain grain market in Kurukshetra district, costing Rs 6.69 crore, to maintain various basic facilities. He also announced a grant of Rs 5 crore for various development works in the Kalka Assembly constituency.

Saini said the modern apple, fruit, and vegetable market in Pinjore will be the largest modern market in Asia. Spread over 78 acres, the construction of this market will cost Rs 220 crore. The first phase has been constructed over 10 acres at a cost of Rs 14.66 crore. The second phase is in progress and will be completed by December 31.

ALSO READ:  Union Minister Chandrasekhar plans to make Thiruvananthapuram 'focal point' for 2036 Olympics readiness

He said that the establishment of this market will benefit the fruit and vegetable farmers and traders of Haryana, as well as the apple growers and traders from Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.

–IANS

vg/vd

Continue Reading

National

3-yr-old undergoes successful liver transplant at Hyderabad’s Osmania Hospital

Published

on

By

3-yr-old undergoes successful liver transplant at Hyderabad’s Osmania Hospital

3-yr-old undergoes successful liver transplant at Hyderabad’s Osmania Hospital

Hyderabad, July 17 (IANS) Doctors at the Osmania General Hospital, the oldest government-run hospital in Hyderabad, have successfully performed a liver transplant on a three-year-old boy.

Modugu Chohan Aditya of Khammam district was suffering from congenital biliary atresia and liver failure.

An advanced liver donor transplant procedure was performed successfully on July 3 by Madhusudan and his team of surgical gastroenterology and liver transplantation at the Osmania General Hospital.

According to a statement issued by the Chief Minister’s Office, the child’s mother Amla donated a part of her liver to her son. Both the mother and child were discharged on July 16.

So far, 30 cases of liver transplant, including 8 paediatric liver transplant cases, have been successfully performed at the Osmania General Hospital.

Established in 1910, Osmania Hospital is the oldest hospital and one of the biggest government-run healthcare facilities in Telangana.

–IANS

ms/arm

ALSO READ:  Padma awards: Prema Dhanraj, a burns survivor who rose to be a pioneer in reconstructive surgery
Continue Reading

Trending