Connect with us

National

Ex-Raj CM Ashok Gehlot says Congress manifesto most impressive since Independence

Published

on

Ex-Raj CM Ashok Gehlot says Congress manifesto most impressive since Independence

Ahmedabad, May 2 (IANS) Former Chief Minister of Rajasthan Ashok Gehlot said on Thursday that the Congress has prepared the most impressive manifesto since Independence.

Gehlot was in Ahmedabad campaigning for Congress and expressed concern over the current political discourse. He criticized Prime Minister Narendra Modi for allegedly making “unfounded comments about the Congress manifesto without having read it.”

“The Congress has prepared the most impressive manifesto since Independence, and the Prime Minister has no right to criticize it without fully understanding it,” Gehlot said. He commended Rahul Gandhi’s efforts, which he said were reflected in the manifesto, to address the needs of every class.

Highlighting the broader implications of the government’s actions, Gehlot pointed to the misuse of enforcement agencies, claiming, “In the country, the ED and CBI are working illegally, which is a risk to our democracy.” He also referred to international concerns, noting, “The UN has spoken about what is happening in India.”

ALSO READ:  Muslim cleric accuses SP of selling minority votes, calls for boycott

Gehlot said in a direct attack on the BJP’s electoral promises, “Promises were made but not fulfilled. Modi’s guarantee was there in 2014 about black money, Rs 15 lakh in accounts, and doubling farmers’ income, but whose guarantee was that?”

Gehlot’s speech ended on a critical note regarding the recently introduced Agniveer scheme, questioning the prospects for the youth involved after four years.

Earlier, while leaving for Gujarat, Ashok Gehlot said in Japiur that Congress will win the LS polls with a double-digit score in Rajasthan.

“I went to 22 constituencies during the LS polls and hence am aware that Congress will win with a double-digit score in Rajasthan.”

–IANS

janvi/arc/dpb

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

After botched abortion, woman's lover, friend dump her body and her two kids into Pune river

Published

on

By

After botched abortion, woman's lover, friend dump her body and her two kids into Pune river

After botched abortion, woman's lover, friend dump her body and her two kids into Pune river

Pune, July 22 (IANS) In another chilling crime, a man and his friend allegedly dumped the body of a woman, who died from a purportedly botched-up abortion in Thane, into a river here and also mercilessly flung in her two minor kids, a police official said.

The Talegaon MIDC Police Station have arrested the two accused – Gajendra Dagadkhair, who reportedly admitted to having an affair with the woman, plus his accomplice Ravikant Gaikwad, police station official Suresh P. Jadhav said.

“They were arrested and produced before a Magistrate court here on Monday and it sent them to police custody till July 30,” Jadhav told IANS.

The shocking triple-murders took place over three days (July 6-9) with the body of the woman – Samreen Nissar Nevrekar, 25 – dumped into the Indrayani River, and then her children, Ishan, 5, and Ijan, 2, also flung into the same river. However, nothing was known about the crime for a few days till her parents, Ghulam Gavandi and his wife Fazina Gavandi lodged a ‘missing’ complaint for their daughter and the Talegaon MIDC Police launched a search for her and her two kids.

ALSO READ:  Govt doubles FCI's authorised capital to Rs 21,000 cr in big boost to farm sector

After making detailed inquiries in the neighbourhood, the investigators learnt that Samreen had been separated from her husband but was in an alleged romantic affair with a youth living in the vicinity, the prime accused Dagadkhair, who was detained on Sunday.

His sustained questioning by the Talegaon MIDC Police team unravelled the ghastly triple-murder crime and the entire circumstances leading to it during the three days last fortnight.

Dagadkhair, in his statement to the police, admitted that he was in a romantic liaison with Samreen and she became pregnant a few months ago, Investigating Officer Shyam Mhaske told IANS. Panicking at the unwanted development, Dagadkhair convinced her to accompany his friend Gaikwad and undergo an abortion at a private hospital in Thane on July 6.

Gaikwad took Samreen along with her two kids in his car to a Thane hospital and got her admitted there for the abortion, said the official. However, since she was in an advanced stage of pregnancy, the woman succumbed after a couple of days though details of the hospital where the procedure was performed and the exact causes of her death are still being investigated.

ALSO READ:  Kerala Minister takes potshots at own CPI-M's student wing

Shaken by her death, Dagadkhair sought Gaikwad’s help to dispose of her body which they took in his car to an isolated spot along the Indrayani River near Induri village and threw it in. Seeing this, the two minor children started crying, howling and screaming, and enraged by the ruckus, Dagadkhair-Gaikwad even flung them one after the other – alive – to their watery graves. Mhaske said that the police have not recovered the bodies of the trio till now as the Indrayani River is in a swollen state after last week’s heavy rains in the region, and it is feared they may have been washed away downstream.

The police team, led by API Mhaske, is still questioning the accused duo for more details, including about the Thane clinic where the abortion was allegedly performed without taking into account the risks to the woman’s life, and the entire crime sequence that has shocked Pune.

ALSO READ:  Congress leader Chennithala moves Kerala HC challenging amended Lok Ayukta Act

(Quaid Najmi can be contacted at: q.najmi@ians.in)

–IANS

qn/vd

Continue Reading

National

SI paper leak: ‘Illegal’ house of accused razed in Rajasthan

Published

on

By

SI paper leak: ‘Illegal’ house of accused razed in Rajasthan

SI paper leak: ‘Illegal’ house of accused razed in Rajasthan

Jaipur, July 22 (IANS) The Rajasthan government on Monday demolished the ‘illegally’ constructed house of an accused involved in the Sub Inspector (SI) recruitment paper leak in Churu.

Officials said that the accused, Vivek Bhambhu, had ‘illegally’ constructed permanent structures on two plots in Poonia Colony of Churu.

“The JCB and tractor of the Municipal Council reached street number 11 of Poonia Colony, where the accused had made illegal construction on plot numbers 114 and 115 without the permission of the council. These constructions were demolished with the help of JCB,” DSP Sunil Kumar Jhajharia said.

He said that the house was built on the boundary of the Municipal Council illegally without permission. “That is why the house was demolished,” he said.

–IANS

arc/dan

ALSO READ:  Congress leader Chennithala moves Kerala HC challenging amended Lok Ayukta Act
Continue Reading

National

Action demanded about wild elephant found buried inside Assam oil refinery

Published

on

By

Action demanded about wild elephant found buried inside Assam oil refinery

Action demanded about wild elephant found buried inside Assam oil refinery

Guwahati, July 22 (IANS) Northeastern region’s leading biodiversity conservation organisation, ‘Aaranyak’ and a few organisations in Assam on Monday demanded legal action against the alleged illegal disposal of elephant carcass inside Numaligarh Refinery Ltd (NRL) campus in Golaghat district.

Member of the Steering Committee of the government’s Project Elephant Bibhuti P Lahkar also in a letter to Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Bhupender Yadav demanded proper inquiry into the illegal disposal of elephant carcasses inside the NRL campus.

The Assam Forest Department exhumed the carcass of the elephant on July 19 and later, a post-mortem was carried out.

A case under the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 was registered by the Forest Department after the NRL buried the carcass of the wild elephant without informing the Forest Department.

‘Aaranyak’, a member of the State Board of Wildlife, Assam and former member of the National Board of Wildlife, expressed its deep concern and outrage about the July 18 incident involving the death of a female wild elephant inside the Numaligarh Oil Refinery campus in Golaghat district of Assam.

ALSO READ:  Women have made it big across sectors solely on merit: SG Tushar Mehta

“This tragic event is a stark reminder of the ongoing threats faced by elephants in their natural habitat, particularly in the Golaghat district, which is part of a critical elephant corridor,” ‘Aaranyak’ said in a statement.

It said that reports indicate that the elephant died due to suspected electrocution after coming into contact with an exposed power cable within the Butterfly Park adjacent to the refinery, set up by the government under the provisions made in the historic Assam Accord signed on August 15, 1985.

‘Aaranyak’ said: “What is even more shocking is that the refinery authorities buried the elephant without notifying the forest department, in gross violation of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 as amended in 2022.

The biodiversity protection body said that the elephants are classified as Schedule I animals under the Wildlife (Protection) Amendment Act 2022, and recognized as endangered species, besides the National Heritage Animal in the country, deserve the highest level of protection and respect.”

ALSO READ:  Wanted cousin of jailed gangster Nasir nabbed from Bhopal

This incident raises serious questions about the operational protocols of the NRL, its intention and its commitment towards the welfare of wildlife, it said.

Various students and wildlife-related organisations in Golaghat district also demanded a probe and legal action against those responsible for the death and illegal burial of the elephant.

On July 12, Assam Water Resources and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pijush Hazarika requested the state’s Environment and Forest Minister Chandra Mohan Patowary to take measures to prevent elephant deaths hit by trains.

Hazarika’s request to Patowary comes four days after an adult wild elephant died after being hit by a speeding train in Assam’s Morigaon district on July 9.

Officials said the mishap took place in the Jagiroad area on the outskirts of Guwahati city.

The Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) officials said that the area was not an elephant corridor, so there were no speed restrictions.

–IANS

sc/dan

Continue Reading

National

Maha: Countering Maratha stir, OBC groups launch long march from Jalna

Published

on

By

Maha: Countering Maratha stir, OBC groups launch long march from Jalna

Maha: Countering Maratha stir, OBC groups launch long march from Jalna

Jalna (Maharashtra), July 22 (IANS) In apparent counter to the hunger strike launched by Shivba Sanghatana leader Manoj Jarange-Patil for Maratha quotas, the OBCs’ resistance groups led by Laxman Hake launched its own awareness march to ensure the community’s quotas are not diluted, here on Monday.

Prof Hake along with a large number of followers, started the ‘Arakshan Bachao OBC Jan Akrosh Yatra’ march from Ambad village in Jalna, carrying banners, and posters while raising slogans.

This will come barely three days before the Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi (VBA) President Prakash Ambedkar and his team launch a separate ‘Save Reservations Yatra’ on July 25, starting from Mumbai, going to Pune, Kolhapur, and after passing several districts terminate in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar.

The OBCs’ procession will traverse through several districts including Ahmednagar, Parbhani, Beed, Hingoli, Washim, Buldhana, and Chhatrapati Sambhajinar with hundreds of OBC members likely to join en route.

It may be recalled that from July 20, Jarange-Patil launched his 6th indefinite hunger strike in a year from his native Antarwali-Sarati village (Jalna) and has threatened to announce his next phase of the programme in August if the state government doesn’t concede to the demands of the Marathas.

ALSO READ:  Congress leader Chennithala moves Kerala HC challenging amended Lok Ayukta Act

The demands comprise the inclusion of reservation for Marathas as ‘Kunbis’ a sub-caste under the OBC category, giving OBC Kunbi certificates to those who seek it, and a formal notification for the ‘sage-soyare’ (bloodline) which would entire more people to get reservation.

Visibly irked by the OBCs’ march today, Jarange-Patil warned that he would launch an agitation outside the Nashik (Yeola) home of Nationalist Congress Party Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, and also contest all the 288 seats in the October Assembly elections while slamming both the government and opposition parties for letting them down despite giving assurances.

“We have no hope from the ruling MahaYuti or the opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi. We shall work to defeat all their candidates who have worked against the interests of the Marathas, and also put up our nominees for elections in all the 288 seats,” Jarange-Patil said on July 20 in what was construed as a shift of gear from a limited social cause to a larger political platform.

ALSO READ:  PM Modi to visit Sant Ravi Das temple in Varanasi on Friday, his third trip since 2016

–IANS

qn/dan

Continue Reading

National

Nipah virus alert sounded in Rajasthan

Published

on

By

Nipah virus alert sounded in Rajasthan

Nipah virus alert sounded in Rajasthan

Jaipur, July 22 (IANS) Nipah virus alert has been issued in Rajasthan after the detection of the dreadful virus in Kerala which has claimed a life, the officials said on Monday.

Director of Health Directorate Dr. Ravi Prakash Mathur issued an order alerting all the medical college principals, CMHO and PMOs and instructing them to detect the suspected patients coming to the hospital and to share their information.

Doctors have said that patients complain of severe headaches and fever. “Its symptoms can become severe over time. The risk of brain infection or encephalitis can increase due to this virus attack,” the doctors said.

Instructions have also been passed to keep an eye on the passengers travelling from Kerala.

The administration has also alerted the hotel operators to monitor the tourists coming from Kerala.

–IANS

arc/dan

ALSO READ:  Maharashtra launches 4th Women Policy focusing on empowerment, skilling, gender-responsive governance
Continue Reading

Trending