Connect with us

National

Fire at Bandhwari landfill site raises concerns; no casualties reported

Published

on

Gurugram, April 23 (IANS) A fire broke out at the Bandhwari landfill site about 20 km from here on Monday evening which is yet to be doused completely.

However, no casualties were reported in the incident, a fire department official said.

While the exact cause of the fire is known yet, fire tenders have been rushed to the site, officials said on Tuesday.

According to fire officials, the incident took place at around 5 p.m. on Monday in the Bandhwari landfill area. The fire is suspected to have started due to a build-up of methane, a flammable gas, at the landfill site due to the decomposition of solid municipal waste. The fire also spread due to polythene and other plastic waste in the landfill.

“A fire broke out at the top of the landfill due to which it is taking time to douse the flames. Several fire tenders from Gurugram and Faridabad fire stations were pressed into action. Also, around 40 fire personnel were present at the spot to control the blaze. It took firefighters more than 22 hours to control the flames,” Manoj Kadyan, a fire official, told IANS.

ALSO READ:  Deported by China, mafiosi Prasad Poojary sent to 14-day police custody (Lead)

“Every effort is being made to douse the fire fully,” Kadyan added.

In 2013, a major fire made the Bandhwari waste management defunct for some time, before its operational municipal bodies in Gurugram and Faridabad continued to dump over 1,000 tonnes of untreated garbage at the site every day.

–IANS

str/arm

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Delhi fire tragedy: Hospital had been in row earlier over nurse's abusive behaviour

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) The Delhi hospital, where seven children were killed after a massive fire broke out late on Saturday, had faced allegations of abuse to a newborn child in the past.

Care New Born and Child Hospital owner, Dr Naveen Kichi, was arrested on Sunday, had moved the Delhi High Court seeking the quashing of an FIR registered against him in 2021 over the allegation that a hospital nurse had beaten a newborn infant.

In that case, he had contended that the allegations in the FIR as well as the CCTV footage only showed allegations against the nurse and he had nothing to do with the allegations in the FIR.

Later, he chose to withdraw his plea since the police charge sheet did not name him as an accused or as a witness.

Dr Kichi, a resident of Bhairon Enclave, Paschim Vihar, was granted anticipatory bail by the high court in the case in December 2021.

ALSO READ:  Man shot dead after altercation in Delhi's Shastri Park

Meanwhile, a police probe into the incident has revealed that the licence issued to the hospital by the state government had expired on March 31 and doctors holding BAMS degrees were handling Neonatal Intensive care.

According to police, the fire at the hospital was reported to the Vivek Vihar police station around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday, following which a police team rushed to the spot. As per Deputy Commissioner of Police (Shahdara) Surendra Chaudhary, all the 12 newborn babies were rescued from the hospital with the help of other people and shifted to East Delhi Advance NICU Hospital.

Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg said that seven children were declared dead at the hospital while five other babies are undergoing treatment.

–IANS

pds/vd

Continue Reading

National

Rajkot game zone fire: Search for missing individuals continues; relatives anxious

Published

on

By

Rajkot, May 26 (IANS) The search for the missing persons in the TRP Game Zone here continued on Sunday a day after a massive fire claimed the lives of at least 35 people including children.

Relatives of those yet to be found or identified among the missing and dead waited anxiously at the site of tragedy as rescue workers continued a relentless search operation.

Meanwhile, several bodies were also awaiting identification at Rajkot Civil Hospital.

“Rescue workers were continuously bringing out charred bodies but no information about my relatives was available. The five missing relatives are Khushali Dusara, Vivekbhai Dusara, Isha Modasia, Smiley, and Himanshu Parmar,” a Rajkot resident, Dilipbhai Modasia, said.

Another city resident, Devikaba Jadeja, said that her father Virendrasinh Jadeja remains missing.

Virendrasinh Jadeja disappeared after he rushed to the upper floor of the game zone to save his son and three other relatives when the fire erupted.

“Authorities are currently listing him as ‘missing’ and we are anxiously waiting for the DNA test results to confirm their identities,” she said.

ALSO READ:  K'taka HM says special court to be set up for trial in minor girl beheading case

Officials have recovered five drums of ethyl acetate, a highly flammable compound, from a repair site at the gaming zone.

Besides, liquor was also seized from the amusement park administrators’ office.

An NDRF team remains on standby at the site of the incident.

Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel earlier on Sunday conducted an on-site assessment.

The Chief Minister also visited the Rajkot AIIMS and other hospitals to check on the injured and interacted with the injured and their families.

He also met the families of those who lost their lives, offered condolences, and assured them full support.

Meanwhile, the Rajkot Merchants’ Association has announced that all markets in the city will remain closed until 1 p.m. on May 27.

–IANS

janvi/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Gurugram: Man kills girlfriend over 'blackmail', surrenders to police

Published

on

By

Gurugram, May 26 (IANS) A man allegedly stabbed his girlfriend to death in Gurugram late on Saturday and then, surrendered to the police, police said on Sunday.

Both the accused and the deceased hailed from Maharashtra’s Akola district.

According to the police, they received information about the murder of a 22-year-old woman in a PG located in Tikri village, under the Sadar police station area, on Saturday night, and a police team, along with forensic science and fingerprint teams reached the spot.

“At the spot, the woman’s body was found lying in a pool of blood. Stabbing marks were found on her head and neck. The post-mortem examination was also conducted,” a senior police officer said.

The man came to the Sadar police station and told the policemen on duty that he had killed his girlfriend.

Police suspect that the matter relates to a love affair.

The woman had reportedly come to the city two to three days ago to meet the man.

ALSO READ:  Three dead in road mishap in Odisha's Sundargarh

The accused told the police that she had filed a rape case against him in Maharashtra and was blackmailing him. She came to Gurugram in this connection, a quarrel broke out between them, and he killed her in a fit of rage, he said.

“All the facts are being investigated. A case of murder has been registered against the man and he has been arrested,” the SHO, Sadar Police Station, said.

–IANS

str/vd

Continue Reading

National

Cyclone Remal: NE states on high alert, local officials asked to be prepared

Published

on

By

Guwahati/Agartala, May 26 (IANS) Ahead of the approaching severe cyclonic storm “Remal”, disaster management authorities and security forces in various northeastern states have been placed on high alert and district administrations asked to take advance precautionary steps.

According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecast, Cyclone Remal, predicted to cross the coast on Sunday midnight, is forecast to make landfall between Sagar Island along West Bengal and Khepupara in Bangladesh and intensify into a severe cyclone.

Currently, a maximum sustained wind speed of 110-120 kmph, gusting to 135 kmph, prevails around the cyclone centre.

The outer cloud band lies over coastal areas of Bangladesh and West Bengal leading to heavy rainfall activity. The cyclone is under the continuous surveillance of the Kolkata Doppler Weather Radar, an IMD statement said late on Sunday.

The Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Manipur, and Mizoram governments have issued separate advisories and asked the National Disaster Response Force, State Disaster Response Forces, district administrations and other departments concerned to remain maximum vigilant and ready to meet any eventualities.

ALSO READ:  Man wanted for killing his uncle nabbed in Delhi

The Assam government has taken measures to ensure the safety and well-being of its citizens in light of the impending increase in rainfall and wind speeds due to cyclone Remal.

The Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) said that the IMD has warned of extremely heavy rainfall over Assam along with other northeastern states on May 27 and 28.

Orange alert has been issued for Dhubri, South Salmara, Bongaigaon, Bajali, Tamulpur, Barpeta, Nalbari, Morigaon, Nagaon, Hojai, and West Karbi Anglong districts and Red Alert for extremely heavy rainfall in Chirang, Goalpara, Baksa, Dima Hasao, Cachar, Hailakandi and Karimganj districts, an ASDMA statement said.

It said that squally winds of 40-50 kmph gusting to 60 kmph are likely over south Assam and Meghalaya on Monday.

A Meghalaya government notification said that the state government urged residents to remain vigilant, ensure that emergency kits are prepared, avoid unnecessary travel during this period and stay updated with the latest weather reports.

ALSO READ:  Land allocation in Dharavi marks major step in slum rehabilitation: Devendra Fadnavis

In light of the imminent weather threat, authorities emphasised the importance of preparedness. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for cyclones provide essential guidelines for emergency responses, the notification said.

The Tripura government, in view of the cyclonic storm “Remal”, has closed all educational institutions including universities on May 27 and 28.

Tripura Revenue Secretary Brijesh Pandey said that in view of cyclone Remal’s impact on the coastal region of West Bengal, including Kolkata, all kinds of flight operations in the Kolkata-Agartala route were suspended till 9 a.m. on Monday.

However, the flight services on other routes — Agartala-Guwahati, Agartala-Delhi, and Agartala-Bengaluru — are operating normally.

The first cyclone in the Bay of Bengal in this pre-monsoon season, it has been named “Remal” (or sand in Arabic), according to a system of naming cyclones in the Indian Ocean region.

–IANS

sc/vd

Continue Reading

National

Cash, liquor, freebies worth Rs 95 crore seized in J&K during election period

Published

on

By

Srinagar, May 26 (IANS) Election authorities and other enforcement agencies seized around Rs 95 crore worth of cash, liquor, and other freebies, meant to be used to influence the voters during the five-phase Lok Sabha elections in Jammu and Kashmir, officials said on Sunday.

The election process in J&K ended on Saturday with voting in the Anantnag-Rajouri constituency.

“Despite the voter turnout having broken a 35-year-old record in Kashmir, some candidates had tried to use money, liquor, freebies etc to influence the voters. We seized material and cash with a total value of Rs 94.797 crore from the date of commencement of the Lok Sabha elections in J&K,” an Election Commission official said.

Officials credited the J&K Police with playing the most important role in checking the use of money and freebies as it accounted for Rs 90.83 crore seized during the campaign.

Cash, liquor, drugs and other freebies were seized by various enforcement departments. Major department-wise seizures included seizures by the police valued at Rs 90.831 crore, the Income Tax Department at Rs 42 lakh, the Excise Department at Rs 1.01 crore while the Narcotics Control Bureau seized drugs valued at Rs 2.32 crore, officials said.

ALSO READ:  Man wanted for killing his uncle nabbed in Delhi

“In order to ensure a level playing field for all contestants, we took action against over 40 government employees who were allegedly violating the Model Code of Conduct. We received 143 grievances on the CVIGIL app out of which over 80 have been resolved while the remaining are under the process of resolution,” the EC official said.

“To monitor various election-related activities and also check the Model Code of Conduct compliance, we had established a command and control room at the CEO office in Jammu as well as in Srinagar. Similar mini-control rooms were also established in every DEO’s (district election officer) office and were functioning round-the-clock. All electronic media channels and social media platforms were monitored here. Any violation so detected was reported and the concerned RO/ARO issued a notice,” the official added.

“All techno-savvy facilities, including GPS monitoring, live surveillance, telecommunication, etc. were put into use to secure one of the most exhaustive and elaborate poll processes in J&K amid concerns about the disruption of this democratic process by anti-national elements in the past,” the EC official said.

ALSO READ:  Land allocation in Dharavi marks major step in slum rehabilitation: Devendra Fadnavis

–IANS

sq/vd

Continue Reading

Trending