Connect with us

International

India among 12 countries that avoid signing final communique of Ukraine Peace Summit

Published

on

India among 12 countries that avoid signing final communique of
 Ukraine Peace Summit

New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) India on Sunday said that it has decided to “avoid association with the joint communique or any other document” emerging from the two-day ‘Summit on Peace in Ukraine’ being held at Burgenstock near Lucerne in Switzerland.

“Our participation in this summit and continued engagement with all stakeholders is with a view to understanding different perspectives, approaches and options to find a way forward for a sustainable resolution of the conflict,” said Pavan Kapoor, Secretary, West, at the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) who led the Indian delegation at the event.

“In our view, only those options acceptable to both parties can lead to abiding peace,” Kapoor, India’s former Ambassador to Russia, added.

Around 100 delegations, including 57 heads of state and government, attended the summit which aimed at initiating the process for a lasting and just peace in Ukraine. Eighty countries and four European institutions signed the final joint communique.

ALSO READ:  Vance ties Kamala Harris to Biden calling him 'worst' President

Besides India, several other countries, including Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Mexico, South Africa, Brazil, Armenia, Libya, Indonesia, Bahrain, Colombia and the United Arab Emirates, have also refrained from signing the final communique of the Peace Summit.

In his meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky held on the sidelines of the 50th G7 Summit in Italy’s Apulia on Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had reiterated that New Delhi continues to encourage peaceful resolution of the Russia-Ukraine conflict through dialogue and diplomacy.

“Had a very productive meeting with President Volodymyr Zelensky. India is eager to further cement bilateral relations with Ukraine. Regarding the ongoing hostilities, reiterated that India believes in a human-centric approach and believes that the way to peace is through dialogue and diplomacy,” PM Modi posted on X after meeting Zelensky.

Last year, India had abstained from a vote at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on a resolution titled ‘Principles of the Charter of the United Nations underlying a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in Ukraine’, citing that it “lacked basic concepts” for achieving a sustainable peace in the region.

ALSO READ:  Philippines landslide death toll rises to 15, 110 missing

PM Modi has also consistently advocated that no solution can ever be arrived at the cost of human lives and that escalation of hostilities and violence is in no one’s interest. “India shares the global concerns over the situation in Ukraine and supports any collective desire to facilitate peaceful resolution of the conflict,” the MEA Secretary said in Switzerland on Sunday.

The countries and organisations which supported the joint communique include Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cabo Verde, Canada, Chile, Comoros, Costa Rica, Cote d’Ivoire, the Council of Europe, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, the European Commission, the European Council, the European Parliament, Fiji, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hungary, Iceland, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Kosovo, Latvia, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Palau, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Rwanda, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Serbia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Somalia, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Timor Leste, Turkiye, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Uruguay.

ALSO READ:  Biden slams 'outrageous' ICC request for Netanyahu's arrest warrant

–IANS

as/vd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Death toll from Philippine floods, landslides rises to 21

Published

on

By

Death toll from Philippine floods, landslides rises to 21

Death toll from Philippine floods, landslides rises to 21

Manila, July 25 (IANS) The death toll in the Philippine floods and landslides triggered by southwest monsoon enhanced by typhoon Gaemi has climbed to 21, police said on Thursday.

In a preliminary report, police said seven people died in the Philippine capital region Manila, three in Cavite province, five in Batangas province, and three in Rizal province. Police also reported that one died in Bulacan province and another two in Angeles City in Pampanga province.

The cause of death mainly was drowning, landslides, fallen trees, and electrocution, Xinhua news agency reported.

The Philippines’ national disaster agency has yet to report deaths due to the twin effects of southwest monsoon and Gaemi, which exits the Philippines on Thursday morning.

Gaemi, the third typhoon to lash the Philippines this year, has dumped rains, triggering flash floods and landslides in Metro Manila and many regions.

Aside from taking lives, Gaemi submerged and destroyed houses, primarily shanties in coastal and riverside communities, and swept away cars.

ALSO READ:  Israel carries out air strikes on rocket launching site in Gaza Strip

Displaced residents spent Wednesday night in covered courts, schoolhouses, churches, and other makeshift evacuation centers while waiting for the floodwaters in their areas to recede.

The Philippines is one of the most disaster-prone countries globally, mainly due to its location in the Pacific Ring of Fire and the Pacific typhoon belt. On average, the archipelagic country experiences 20 typhoons yearly, some intense and destructive.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

Continue Reading

International

Australian shipwreck found 55 years after maritime disaster

Published

on

By

Australian shipwreck found 55 years after maritime disaster

Australian shipwreck found 55 years after maritime disaster

Canberra, July 25 (IANS) Researchers from Australia’s national science agency have solved one of the country’s biggest maritime mysteries by discovering the wreck of a ship that sank over 50 years ago.

The motor vessel (MV) Noongah was carrying steel between the east coast cities of Newcastle and Townsville on August 25, 1969, when it encountered a storm and sank, triggering one of the largest searches for survivors in Australian maritime history, Xinhua news agency reported.

Of the 26 crew on board at the time of the incident, 21 died. Only one body was recovered and the wreck was never found.

However, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) on Thursday announced it has confirmed the final resting place of the 71-meter freighter.

The CSIRO’s advanced research vessel (RV) Investigator surveyed an unidentified shipwreck in June 2024, collecting video footage and high-resolution seafloor mapping data.

In collaboration with experts from New South Wales (NSW) Heritage and NGO The Sydney Project the team was able to identify the wreck as the MV Noongah.

ALSO READ:  Works begin in Gaza to restore power to water supply facility: Israeli sources

The investigation showed the wreck is sitting upright at a depth of 170 meters.

Matt Kimber from the CSIRO’s Marine National Facility (MNF) informed stakeholders including surviving crew members and the families of the sailors who died, of the outcome of the RV Investigator survey.

The data and vision collected by the CSIRO have been provided to the project partners to allow planning for a dive by The Sydney Project to collect additional vision of the wreck.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

Continue Reading

International

Israel recovers bodies of five hostages from Gaza

Published

on

By

Israel recovers bodies of five hostages from Gaza

Israel recovers bodies of five hostages from Gaza

Jerusalem, July 25 (IANS) The bodies of five Israeli people, who were held hostages by Hamas after the attack on the country, have been recovered, Israeli forces said on Thursday.

They were identified as Maya Goren from Kibbutz Nir Oz and four soldiers, whose bodies were held hostage, according to a joint statement released by the Israeli military and the Shin Bet internal security agency. The soldiers — Oren Goldin, Tomer Ahimas, Ravid Aryeh Katz, and Kiril Brodski — were killed in combat with Hamas militants on October 7, 2023, Xinhua news agency reported.

The bodies were retrieved in an operation carried out in Gaza on Wednesday by commando and Shin Bet forces and taken to Israel for identification, according to the statement.

Kibbutz Nir Oz, one of the communities most severely affected by Hamas’ assault, released a statement saying that Goren, a 56-year-old kindergarten teacher, was “brought home for burial” after nine months of being held in Gaza. Israeli authorities said in December 2023 that she was believed to be dead.

ALSO READ:  Philippines landslide death toll rises to 15, 110 missing

With about 110 people still being held hostage in Gaza, at least a third of them are feared dead, according to Israeli estimates.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

Continue Reading

International

Three killed in road accident in Afghanistan

Published

on

By

Three killed in road accident in Afghanistan

Three killed in road accident in Afghanistan

Charikar, July 25 (IANS) Three commuters lost their lives and three others were injured following a road accident in Afghanistan’s Parwan province on Thursday morning, police said.

The accident occurred in Siagard district when a passenger car rammed into a truck, leaving three dead including two women, and injuring three others, said Fazal Rahim Muskinyar, spokesman for the provincial police.

Three women, who were injured in the accident, were transported to the provincial hospital for treatment, Xinhua news agency reported.

Dilapidated roads, reckless driving, overspeeding, overloading, and lack of safety measures often cause deadly accidents in Afghanistan.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

ALSO READ:  Works begin in Gaza to restore power to water supply facility: Israeli sources
Continue Reading

International

One missing after oil tanker capsizes in Philippines

Published

on

By

One missing after oil tanker capsizes in Philippines

One missing after oil tanker capsizes in Philippines

Manila, July 25 (IANS) One person went missing after an oil tanker sank in the Philippines’ Bataan province on Thursday, Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) personnel said.

Rear Admiral Armando Balilo said the vessel, Motor Tanker Terra Nova, carrying 1.4 million litters of industrial fuel oil, capsized and eventually sank 3.6 nautical miles east of Limay town around 1:10 a.m. local time Thursday, Xinhua news agency reported.

Balilo said the vessel was sailing south to Iloilo province in the central Philippines when the accident happened.

Balilo said the Coast Guardsmen rescued 16 of the 17 crew, four of whom were injured. “The search and rescue operation for the missing crew is ongoing,” he added.

According to Balilo, a marine environmental protection team has been sent to the area to combat oil spills, and an investigation is underway to find the cause of the accident.

–IANS

int/rs/svn

ALSO READ:  Vance ties Kamala Harris to Biden calling him 'worst' President
Continue Reading

Trending