Connect with us

National

Joshimath is now 'Jyotirmath', Uttarakhand government renames teshil in Chamoli

Published

on

Joshimath is now 'Jyotirmath', Uttarakhand government renames teshil in Chamoli

New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) Joshimath tehsil in Chamoli district will now be known by a new name ‘Jyotirmath’, the Uttarakhand chief minister office announced on Wednesday.

Jyotirmath is the ancient name of Joshimath and the state government’s proposal to effect a name change for the tehsil was approved by the Centre on Wednesday.

The move is being hailed by the local residents of Joshimath as they believe that the restoration of tehsil after its original name will not just showcase its ancient roots but will also honour its rich cultural and historical heritage.

Notably, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami publicly announced his government’s decision to rename the tehsil and restore its ancient glory at an event in Chamoli district last year.

The locals had been demanding the name change for a long time. Taking into consideration the sentiments of people, Dhami government moved a proposal to the Centre to rename the tehsil.

ALSO READ:  Minority body stages protest in Kolkata over Uyghur muslims issue

This was approved by the Centre on Wednesday.

Locals believe that Adi Guru Shankaracharya visited this place in 8th century. He is understood to have practiced penance under Amar Kalpa tree and attained divine knowledge and light here.

The place was then known as Jyotirmath but as time passed by, it became popular by another name, Joshimath.

–IANS

mr/pgh

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Action demanded about wild elephant found buried inside Assam oil refinery

Published

on

By

Action demanded about wild elephant found buried inside Assam oil refinery

Action demanded about wild elephant found buried inside Assam oil refinery

Guwahati, July 22 (IANS) Northeastern region’s leading biodiversity conservation organisation, ‘Aaranyak’ and a few organisations in Assam on Monday demanded legal action against the alleged illegal disposal of elephant carcass inside Numaligarh Refinery Ltd (NRL) campus in Golaghat district.

Member of the Steering Committee of the government’s Project Elephant Bibhuti P Lahkar also in a letter to Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Bhupender Yadav demanded proper inquiry into the illegal disposal of elephant carcasses inside the NRL campus.

The Assam Forest Department exhumed the carcass of the elephant on July 19 and later, a post-mortem was carried out.

A case under the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 was registered by the Forest Department after the NRL buried the carcass of the wild elephant without informing the Forest Department.

‘Aaranyak’, a member of the State Board of Wildlife, Assam and former member of the National Board of Wildlife, expressed its deep concern and outrage about the July 18 incident involving the death of a female wild elephant inside the Numaligarh Oil Refinery campus in Golaghat district of Assam.

ALSO READ:  Uncle-nephew held in UP for call spoofing senior govt officials

“This tragic event is a stark reminder of the ongoing threats faced by elephants in their natural habitat, particularly in the Golaghat district, which is part of a critical elephant corridor,” ‘Aaranyak’ said in a statement.

It said that reports indicate that the elephant died due to suspected electrocution after coming into contact with an exposed power cable within the Butterfly Park adjacent to the refinery, set up by the government under the provisions made in the historic Assam Accord signed on August 15, 1985.

‘Aaranyak’ said: “What is even more shocking is that the refinery authorities buried the elephant without notifying the forest department, in gross violation of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 as amended in 2022.

The biodiversity protection body said that the elephants are classified as Schedule I animals under the Wildlife (Protection) Amendment Act 2022, and recognized as endangered species, besides the National Heritage Animal in the country, deserve the highest level of protection and respect.”

ALSO READ:  Cong leader Alka Lamba seeks PM's intervention to bring Prajwal Revanna back to India

This incident raises serious questions about the operational protocols of the NRL, its intention and its commitment towards the welfare of wildlife, it said.

Various students and wildlife-related organisations in Golaghat district also demanded a probe and legal action against those responsible for the death and illegal burial of the elephant.

On July 12, Assam Water Resources and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pijush Hazarika requested the state’s Environment and Forest Minister Chandra Mohan Patowary to take measures to prevent elephant deaths hit by trains.

Hazarika’s request to Patowary comes four days after an adult wild elephant died after being hit by a speeding train in Assam’s Morigaon district on July 9.

Officials said the mishap took place in the Jagiroad area on the outskirts of Guwahati city.

The Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) officials said that the area was not an elephant corridor, so there were no speed restrictions.

–IANS

sc/dan

Continue Reading

National

Maha: Countering Maratha stir, OBC groups launch long march from Jalna

Published

on

By

Maha: Countering Maratha stir, OBC groups launch long march from Jalna

Maha: Countering Maratha stir, OBC groups launch long march from Jalna

Jalna (Maharashtra), July 22 (IANS) In apparent counter to the hunger strike launched by Shivba Sanghatana leader Manoj Jarange-Patil for Maratha quotas, the OBCs’ resistance groups led by Laxman Hake launched its own awareness march to ensure the community’s quotas are not diluted, here on Monday.

Prof Hake along with a large number of followers, started the ‘Arakshan Bachao OBC Jan Akrosh Yatra’ march from Ambad village in Jalna, carrying banners, and posters while raising slogans.

This will come barely three days before the Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi (VBA) President Prakash Ambedkar and his team launch a separate ‘Save Reservations Yatra’ on July 25, starting from Mumbai, going to Pune, Kolhapur, and after passing several districts terminate in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar.

The OBCs’ procession will traverse through several districts including Ahmednagar, Parbhani, Beed, Hingoli, Washim, Buldhana, and Chhatrapati Sambhajinar with hundreds of OBC members likely to join en route.

It may be recalled that from July 20, Jarange-Patil launched his 6th indefinite hunger strike in a year from his native Antarwali-Sarati village (Jalna) and has threatened to announce his next phase of the programme in August if the state government doesn’t concede to the demands of the Marathas.

ALSO READ:  Gujarat BJP strengthens ranks with key political figures joining from Congress, BTP

The demands comprise the inclusion of reservation for Marathas as ‘Kunbis’ a sub-caste under the OBC category, giving OBC Kunbi certificates to those who seek it, and a formal notification for the ‘sage-soyare’ (bloodline) which would entire more people to get reservation.

Visibly irked by the OBCs’ march today, Jarange-Patil warned that he would launch an agitation outside the Nashik (Yeola) home of Nationalist Congress Party Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, and also contest all the 288 seats in the October Assembly elections while slamming both the government and opposition parties for letting them down despite giving assurances.

“We have no hope from the ruling MahaYuti or the opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi. We shall work to defeat all their candidates who have worked against the interests of the Marathas, and also put up our nominees for elections in all the 288 seats,” Jarange-Patil said on July 20 in what was construed as a shift of gear from a limited social cause to a larger political platform.

ALSO READ:  Delhi HC refers Gautam Gambhir's defamation suit against Punjab Kesari to mediation

–IANS

qn/dan

Continue Reading

National

Nipah virus alert sounded in Rajasthan

Published

on

By

Nipah virus alert sounded in Rajasthan

Nipah virus alert sounded in Rajasthan

Jaipur, July 22 (IANS) Nipah virus alert has been issued in Rajasthan after the detection of the dreadful virus in Kerala which has claimed a life, the officials said on Monday.

Director of Health Directorate Dr. Ravi Prakash Mathur issued an order alerting all the medical college principals, CMHO and PMOs and instructing them to detect the suspected patients coming to the hospital and to share their information.

Doctors have said that patients complain of severe headaches and fever. “Its symptoms can become severe over time. The risk of brain infection or encephalitis can increase due to this virus attack,” the doctors said.

Instructions have also been passed to keep an eye on the passengers travelling from Kerala.

The administration has also alerted the hotel operators to monitor the tourists coming from Kerala.

–IANS

arc/dan

ALSO READ:  Gujarat BJP strengthens ranks with key political figures joining from Congress, BTP
Continue Reading

National

Punjab CM seeks special package for state

Published

on

By

Punjab CM seeks special package for state

Punjab CM seeks special package for state

Chandigarh, July 22 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Monday sought a special package for the holistic development of the state from the 16th Finance Commission, currently on a visit to the state.

The Chief Minister, while welcoming the commission members, including Chairman Arvind Panagariya, said due to the immense contribution of Punjab in making the country self-sufficient in food production, the state should be given a special economic package. He said Punjabis have already carved a niche for themselves in every country across the globe and the package will further give impetus to economic growth of the state.

Mann expressed hope that the Finance Commission would give a sympathetic view to the genuine demands of the state and generously allot funds to Punjab.

He sought funds of Rs 132,247 crore from the Finance Commission to give impetus to the development of the state. He said this includes development funds of Rs 75,000 crore, Rs 17,950 crore for agriculture and paddy diversification, Rs 5,025 crore for stubble burning, Rs 8,846 crore for tackling narco-terrorism and drug abuse, besides Rs 6,000 crore for industry revitalisation.

ALSO READ:  Gujarat BJP strengthens ranks with key political figures joining from Congress, BTP

Mann said apart from this, Rs 9,426 crore should be given for urban local bodies and Rs 10,000 crore for rural local bodies. He said with improved sustainability and self-sufficiency, the state has been doing everything in its power to mobilize resources. In the last two years alone, major heads of state’s Own Tax Revenue have witnessed impressive growth by surpassing national growth rates, he said, adding that the GST revenue has gone up by 33 per cent and excise alone has gone up by more than 50 per cent.

He said this has been possible with robust administration and honest governance, which the state government has provided from day one. The Chief Minister said the state government is also reviewing various expenditure items and looking at rationalising unproductive expenditure. He said through solarisation, the state government intends to rationalise power subsidies in the long term and improve the reliability of power infrastructure.

ALSO READ:  Minority body stages protest in Kolkata over Uyghur muslims issue

Mann said Punjab’s problems are not new and have a legacy nature, adding many of these problems came into existence due to ill-advised political decisions of previous governments just before the election. Citing examples, the Chief Minister said that a CCL loan of Rs 30,584 crore that was taken in March 2017 or substantial untargeted subsidies given right before elections in 2021 has ruptured the state’s economy.

He said that “the repercussions of these actions are still being felt today, as we strive to achieve financial consolidation amidst these inherited challenges”. Mann said the state government “is making concerted efforts for carving out Rangla Punjab for which support of the people of the state is a must”.

–IANS

vg/vd

Continue Reading

National

Goa CM hails Centre lifting ban on govt employees joining RSS activities

Published

on

By

Goa CM hails Centre lifting ban on govt employees joining RSS activities

Goa CM hails Centre lifting ban on govt employees joining RSS activities

Panaji, July 22 (IANS) Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Monday welcomed the decision of the Central government to lift the ban on government employees who want to take part in Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) programmes.

“I welcome the decision taken by the Union government to withdraw the restrictions on the government employees to participate in the programmes of RSS,” the Chief Minister said.

He said that the unconstitutional restrictions imposed by the then successive Congress government show their reluctance to accept a different view.

“The Bharatiya view must be carried forward. I congratulate the Union government for the decision,” the Chief Minister added.

RSS Goa Chief Rajan Bhobe said that with this decision there will be no fear among government servants to partake in ‘Shakhas’.

“There were no such restrictions earlier also and whoever was willing to work for Sangh, used to engage in programmes of RSS. There were no restrictions. Hence, I don’t find anything to welcome in this decision. People participate in Shakhas on Sundays, wherein we discuss ongoing issues,” Bhobe said.

ALSO READ:  Delhi HC refers Gautam Gambhir's defamation suit against Punjab Kesari to mediation

He said that the organisation does not allow anyone to work for RSS by taking leave or by remaining absent at their workplace and nobody has done such things in the past.

In November 1966, the Late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi imposed a ban on participation in the RSS affiliated programmes, which was removed on July 9.

–IANS

sbk/dan

Continue Reading

Trending