Connect with us

National

K'taka Dy CM Shivakumar gets Lokayukta notice in disproportionate assets case

Published

on

Bengaluru, April 10 (IANS) Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister and state Congress President, D.K. Shivakumar, has been served a notice by the State Lokayukta on Wednesday in connection with the disproportionate assets (DA) case, sources confirmed.

Shivakumar has been asked to provide all documents in his defence regarding the case.

The development is seen as a setback for Shivakumar, who is busy with strategising and executing election campaigns for the Congress.

Shivakumar is also at the forefront of election campaigns with Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.

In a controversial move, the Congress government had withdrawn the permission given to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe the matter.

The case was handed over to the CBI by the then BJP government headed by former Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa.

The case was then handed over to the Lokayukta by the Congress government on November 23, 2023.

The CBI had questioned the Karnataka government’s decision in the court, claiming that it is in the last phase of filing the charge sheet against Shivakumar.

ALSO READ:  Pregnant woman dies, another delivers stillborn after blood transfusion in Rajasthan

The Supreme Court had recently quashed the case probed by the Enforcement Directorate against Shivakumar.

Shivakumar had recently claimed that even after the DA case was quashed and permission withdrawn for the CBI probe, the central probe agencies still served notices to him, his family and business partners and accused that they were harassed.

The CBI had alleged that the assets of Shivakumar’s family, which was amounting to Rs 33 crore in 2013 had increased to Rs 166.79 crore by 2018.

The preliminary probe proved the increase of 44.93 per cent additional property disproportionate to the sources of income, sources said.

–IANS

mka/khz

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Assam slowly emerging out of flood crisis, two more deaths, 6 lakh people still affected

Published

on

By

Guwahati, July 14 (IANS) With waters receding, the overall flood situation in Assam improved on Sunday even as two more deaths were reported from the Karimganj district and over 6 lakh people remain affected in 18, or over half, of the state’s 35 districts, Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) officials said.

According to ASDMA officials, with the two fresh deaths, as of Sunday, at least 93 people died due to the current flood in 23 districts and around 10 more people died due to landslides and other calamities after the monsoon rain started early last month.

The highest number of deaths (22) were reported from Cachar district in southern Assam.

According to the ASDMA officials, the number of flood-affected people has sharply come down from over 24.20 lakh in 30 districts as of July 5.

Flood water is still submerging 5,367 hectares of crop area in 1,342 villages in 18 districts while over 2.83 lakh domestic animals have also been badly affected.

ALSO READ:  Cong infighting in K'taka: Party will take decision if anyone crosses limits, says Shivakumar

Of the 18 flood-affected districts, Dhubri, Cachar, Dhemaji, Darrang, Goalpara, and Golaghat are still badly hit.

The Brahmaputra is flowing above the danger level at Neamatighat, Tezpur, and Dhubri, while Burhidihing and Disang rivers are also flowing above the danger level in a few areas.

ASDMA officials said over 30,000 people are sheltered in the 172 relief camps set up by the district administrations, while 32 relief distribution centres are functioning in different districts.

The flood water also submerged the vast areas of Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve (KNPTR). The Forest and Wildlife Department workers have so far rescued 143 wild animals while more than 196 animals, including deer, rhinos, and hog deer, have drowned in flood waters.

–IANS

sc/vd

Continue Reading

National

Odisha: H&FW Dept suspends empanelment of private hospital after fire mishap

Published

on

By

Bhubaneswar, July 14 (IANS) Following a fire mishap in Cuttack, the state Health and Family Welfare (H&FW) Department has suspended the empanelment of Trisha Hospital under the Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana (BSKY).

“It is to inform you that pending enquiry by the Health and Family Welfare Department and Fire Department; the empanelment of Trisha Hospital under BSKY is hereby suspended due to the recent fire incident at the hospital,” informed the H&FW department in a letter to Trisha Hospital on Sunday.

Odisha Chief Secretary Manoj Ahuja issued directions regarding the constitution of the special task force comprising officials of Health, Home and Energy departments to ensure proper fire safety measures are installed and guidelines followed at all the hospitals in the state.

Notably, a fire broke out at two nursing homes operating from the same building at Telanga Bazar in Cuttack on Saturday. Around 45 patients narrowly escaped from the inferno reportedly caused due to a short circuit.

ALSO READ:  Ex-DCP sent to judicial custody in Telangana phone-tapping case

A seven-day-old child, who was shifted to Sishu Bhawan in Cuttack after the fire broke out in Trisha Hospital on Saturday, died earlier on Sunday while undergoing treatment.

–IANS

gyan/dan

Continue Reading

National

SC ruling on alimony to divorced Muslim women against Islamic law: AIMPLB

Published

on

By

New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) The All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) said on Sunday that it is exploring all possible measures to get the Supreme Court to “roll back” its ruling on alimony to divorced Muslim women as it is “against” Islamic law.

The AIMPLB Working Committee held a meeting here on Sunday to discuss the Supreme Court verdict on the maintenance of Muslim divorcee women and adopted a resolution, which stated it is against the “Sharia” (Islamic law).

“The Board emphasised that the Holy Prophet had mentioned that amongst all permissible deeds the most abhorred is divorce in the sight of Allah, hence it is desirable to continue the marriage by applying all permissible measures to safeguard it and follow several guidelines mentioned in Holy Quran about it. However, if married life becomes difficult to maintain, then divorce was prescribed as a solution to mankind,” the resolution read.

“The board observed that this judgment will create further problems to women who have successfully come out of their painful relationship,” it added.

ALSO READ:  Congress threatens to agitate after Goa govt increases VAT on petrol, diesel

The AIMPLB authorised its President, Khalid Saifullah Rahmani, to initiate all possible measures (legal, constitutional and democratic) to ensure that “this decision by the Supreme Court is rolled back”, AIMPLB spokesperson Syed Qasim Rasool Ilyas said after the meeting.

–IANS

sha/

Continue Reading

National

Heavy rains in Maha's Konkan disrupt normal life, administration on high alert as rivers rise

Published

on

By

Mumbai, July 14 (IANS) In the wake of heavy rains and rising water levels in many rivers, the District Collectors of Raigad, Ratnagiri, and Sindhudurg in Maharashtra’s Konkan region have asked officials to be vigilant and swiftly undertake rescue and relief operations.

This is in the wake of the IMD issuing a red alert in Ratnagiri, Kolhapur, and Satara, an orange alert in Raigad and Sindhudurg, Pune, Chandrapur, Gadchiroli, and Gondiya, and a yellow alert in Mumbai, Thane, Palghar, Sangli, and Solapur.

According to the state government sources, In Sangameshwar taluka of Ratnagiri, the roads in Kond, Ambed-Dingni-Karjuve, Dhamani, Kasba, and Phanaswane areas are flooded and vehicular movement has been ordered stopped.

The administration has swung into action to evacuate the people from low-lying areas.

As flood waters of the Vashisti river have entered Chiplun city, there has been heavy water-logging in the markets and the administration has asked traders and citizens not to venture out. An NDRF team has been deployed there.

ALSO READ:  Ideals of MGR & Jayalalithaa need to be kept alive: OPS, Sasikala to party cadres

Due to floods in the Khed-Diwan Khavati area of Ratnagiri district, connectivity to seven villages has been snapped and seven hamlets are also cut off from Ganeshwadi. Life in rural areas of Ratnagiri district has been disrupted due to heavy rains and revenue and police officials are maintaining a close vigil.

The Mumbai-Goa highway is also closed. Traffic has been stopped at the Borghar bus stop on the highway due to the water logging.

The incessant and heavy rains in Raigad district since Saturday have led to a rise in the level of the Kundalika, Patalganga, and Amba rivers, which have crossed the warning level. The district administration has warned the citizens of Roha, Nagothane, Khalapur, Khopoli, and Apta areas to be alert. The bridge over the Kundalika river in Roha town has been completely closed to traffic due to the flow of flood waters.

The NDRF is monitoring the water level of the Savitri river in Raigad.

ALSO READ:  Ministers need to introspect how efficiently they delivered in Lok Sabha polls: Priyank Kharge

The powerloom town of Bhiwandi and rural areas have also been hit by heavy rains and water has accumulated up to 3 to 4 feet in the Khadipar area and has entered many houses.

Rainwater has also accumulated in large quantities in Tin Batti, Vegetable Market, and the Eidgah Road.

The Kalyan city has also been hit by heavy rains. The Raita bridge on the Kalyan-Nagar route has been closed to traffic due to the swelling water level of the Ulhas river. The administration has appealed to those coming to Kalyan to use the Goveli-Titwala route.

–IANS

sj/vd

Continue Reading

National

DPS Dwarka student 'harassment': Delhi Education Minister Atishi assures action

Published

on

By

New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) Delhi Education Minister Atishi on Sunday assured that action would be taken with regard to the alleged harassment of students by Delhi Public School Dwarka over outstanding fees.

Asked about some parents’ claim that their children were being subjected to harassment by the school authorities over the dues, Atishi, at a press meet here, said: “Action will be taken.”

On Saturday, parents of at least 20 students of DPS Dwarka accused the institution of not allowing their children inside classrooms and publishing their wards’ names on its official website over their outstanding fee dues.

According to some parents, the action followed their refusal to pay the revised fee, which, they claim, was increased “without following Directorate of Education (DoE) norms”.

They said that the public display of their children’s names breached their ward’s Fundamental right to personal space and privacy.

Parents accused the school of harassing their children by demanding “unapproved” revised fees. “We have submitted numerous complaints since 2021 but got no relief,” a parent had said.

ALSO READ:  Pregnant woman dies, another delivers stillborn after blood transfusion in Rajasthan

“We moved the court against the DoE and the school… and the court ordered that parents will have to pay 50 per cent of the revised fee and names which had been struck off from the rolls should be immediately restored immediately but the school has no respect for the court order either,” another parent had claimed.

–IANS

sha/vd

Continue Reading

Trending