Connect with us

National

Land subsidence leaves 350 people homeless in J&K’s Ramban District

Published

on

Jammu, April 27 (IANS) Over 350 people in Jammu and Kashmir’s (J&K’s) Ramban District abandoned their homes on Saturday after destruction of the houses due to land subsidence.

Reports said that 30 houses were completed destroyed, 20 partially damaged and 10 others developed huge cracks making them unfit for occupation in a village uphill and downhill on the Ramban-Gool Road.

These families are now living under the open sky after taking their household goods and livestock out of the inhabitable residences.

Authorities are providing tents, drinking water facility, healthcare, toilets, bedding etc to these 350 people.

Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has said that he is personally monitoring the situation and the cause of land subsidence is being determined.

He has assured rehabilitation, relief and compensation to the affected families.

Scientifically, land sinking or subsidence is caused by removal of water, oil, natural gas, mineral resources out of the ground by pumping, fracking or mining activities.

ALSO READ:  Maharashtra: Woman govt officer plotted 'supari' killing of father-in-law for Rs 22-crore property

–IANS

sq/rad

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Kuwait fire tragedy: Around 40 Indians killed, says MEA; Jaishankar speaks to Kuwaiti FM

Published

on

By

New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Wednesday spoke to his Kuwaiti counterpart Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya about the fire tragedy in Kuwait City in which around 40 Indians are feared to have died.

According to reports by Kuwaiti media, the fire broke out in a six-floor building that was crammed with migrant workers in the city’s al-Mangaf area.

EAM Jaishankar, in a post on X, said: @Spoke to Kuwaiti FM Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya on the fire tragedy in Kuwait. Apprised of the efforts made by Kuwaiti authorities in that regard. Was assured that the incident would be fully investigated and that responsibility will be fixed.”

S. Jaishankhar said that he urged the Kuwaiti Foreign Minister for the early repatriation of the mortal remains of those who lost their lives.

“He emphasized that those injured were getting the requisite medical attention. We will review the situation after MoS Kirtivardhan Singh reaches Kuwait tomorrow,” he added.

ALSO READ:  Cops nab two minors for water-filled balloon attack in south Delhi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi earlier on Wednesday chaired a review meeting on the fire tragedy in Kuwait at his residence.

PM Modi also announced ex-gratia relief of Rs 2 lakh to the families of deceased Indian nationals from the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund.

The Prime Minister expressed his deep sorrow at the unfortunate incident and extended condolences to the families of the deceased. He also wished speedy recovery for those injured.

Meanwhile, in a statement, the External Affairs Ministry (EAM) said: “In an unfortunate and tragic fire incident in a Labour housing facility in Mangaf area of Kuwait, around 40 Indians are understood to have died and over 50 injured. The Embassy is ascertaining the full details from the concerned Kuwaiti authorities and the company. We offer our deepest condolences to the bereaved families.”

The EAM statement mentioned that those injured are presently admitted to five government hospitals in Kuwait and receiving proper medical care and attention. According to hospital authorities, most of the admitted patients are stable.

ALSO READ:  Maharashtra: Woman govt officer plotted 'supari' killing of father-in-law for Rs 22-crore property

The EAM statement further said: “Following the incident, Ambassador of India in Kuwait, Adarsh Swaika, immediately visited the location of the incident and also the hospitals to ascertain the welfare of the Indian nationals. The Embassy continues to coordinate with local authorities to assist Indian nationals who have been injured in this unfortunate incident and extend all possible support. The Embassy is receiving full cooperation from the Kuwaiti authorities.”

The statement also said that the Indian Embassy in Kuwait continues to remain in touch with local authorities to provide relief to those affected.

“The Embassy has established a helpline +965-65505246 (WhatsApp and regular call) for family members to get in touch. Regular updates are being provided through the helpline,” the EAM said.

The fire broke out while the workers were asleep, and some residents had to jump from the building in an attempt to survive, Kuwaiti newspaper al-Qabas reported, citing witnesses.

ALSO READ:  ‘Sangam par Charcha’: Prayagraj boatmen’s views offer insight into ‘Mood of the Nation’

Kuwait’s Emir Meshal Al Ahmad has ordered investigations to determine the cause of the blaze and bring to account those found responsible, Kuna said.

–IANS

pgh/

Continue Reading

National

Bihar hospitals see surge in cases of heat-related illnesses

Published

on

By

Patna, June 13 (IANS) Hospitals in Bihar seeing a surge in cases of heat-related illnesses as the state continues to reel under high temperatures and humidity.

Cases of heat stroke, diarrhoea, stomach ache and headache saw a significant rise in recent days, paramedics said on Wednesday. Around 400 such patients visited the sub-divisional hospital in Patna’s Masaurhi on Wednesday. A similar trend was seen in other government and private hospitals in the state capital.

“Majority of the patients who are coming to the hospital are suffering from heat stroke. We have advised them to avoid going out in the scorching sun and consume liquids, easily digestible and vitamin-rich foods. A heatwave ward has been permanently set up in our hospital,” said Dr Sanjita Rani, incharge of Masaudhi sub-divisional hospital.

The situation in PMCH, NMCH, IGIMS, AIIMS Patna, Kurji Holy Family and other hospitals in the capital city remained the same. Several other parts of the state also reported a significant surge in heat-related illnesses.

ALSO READ:  Youth should get chance in Lok Sabha too, says Sachin Pilot

In view of the scorching heat, Patna’s District Magistrate (DM) S. Kapil Ashok on Wednesday ordered the closure of all schools and coaching institutions till June 15.

The maximum temperature in Patna remained between 43 and 46 degrees Celsius during the last few days.

“In the light of the weather department’s forecast, there is a possibility of students falling ill due to the heat wave. Thus, all the educational institutions and coaching institutes of the district will remain closed from June 13 to June 15,” the Patna DM said in an order issued on Wednesday. The DM said coaching institutes can conduct their classes through online modes during the period.

“The Met Department has issued a heat wave alert in Bihar for the next 48 hours. There is a red alert in the districts of North West, South West and South Central Bihar, while there is a yellow alert in other districts. In this season, there is a need to follow the instructions given by the Disaster Management Department regarding protection from heat,” said Anand Shankar, Meteorologist at the Patna Meteorological Centre.

ALSO READ:  Farmers adopted 67,418 solar pumps last year: Haryana Minister

Chief Minister Nitish Kumar directed all DMs and civil surgeons to ensure adequate arrangements of medicines in hospitals of their respective districts. He also directed the power distribution companies to ensure electricity supply round the clock in the state.

Besides heat-related illnesses, administration during the month of June also remains on alert for Chamki fever (Acute Encephalitis Syndrome) which led to the death of several children in Muzaffarpur and its adjoining districts in 2019.

As per studies, Chamki Fever remains at its peak from June 9 to 21.

“The Health Department is fully alert and special precautions are being taken till June 21. ASHA workers have been directed to visit door-to-door in their areas every day. Special attention is being paid to weak children. It is advised to immediately consult a doctor if any child’s health deteriorates,” said Dr Satish Kumar, Vector Borne Disease Control Officer-cum-ACMO of Muzaffarpur.

–IANS

ajk/sha

Continue Reading

National

NCP decides to nominate Sunetra Pawar for June 25 Rajya Sabha bypoll

Published

on

By

Mumbai, June 12 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) on Wednesday decided to nominate party chief and Maharashtra Deputy CM Ajit Pawar’s wife Sunetra Pawar for the Rajya Sabha bypoll to be held on June 25.

Sunetra Pawar’s name was finalised at a meeting convened by Ajit Pawar with the party ministers at his official residence in Mumbai.

Incidentally, Sunetra Pawar lost to her sister-in-law and NCP (SP) chief Sharad Pawar’s daughter Supriya Sule from Baramati in the just concluded Lok Sabha elections.

Sunetra Pawar will file her nomination on Thursday, the last date for filing nominations.

With her nomination, the party has taken a conscious decision to rehabilitate her ahead of the upcoming Assembly elections likely to be held in October this year.

The party’s move is aimed to checkmate NCP chief Sharad Pawar and his party MP Supriya Sule in Baramati in the run-up to the Assembly elections.

While Ajit Pawar is likely to contest from Baramati in the Assembly elections, the NCP (SP) is promoting Yogendra Pawar, his nephew, against the NCP chief.

ALSO READ:  Delhi excise policy matter: Court permits YSRCP MP's son Raghav Magunta to turn approver in CBI's case

At Wednesday’s meeting, NCP Working President Praful Patel proposed Sunetra Pawar’s name and asked the ministers to express their views.

Agriculture Minister Dhananjay Munde supported Patel’s proposal, saying that it would boost the morale of the party cadres, especially in Baramati following the defeat of Sunetra Pawar in the general elections.

However, senior NCP minister Chhagan Bhujbal, who was an aspirant for a Rajya Sabha nomination, said that while he has no objections to Sunetra Pawar’s nomination, why was a parliamentary board meeting not called to recommend her name?

–IANS

sj/arm

Continue Reading

National

669 candidates, including 238 women, file nominations for Nagaland civic polls

Published

on

By

Kohima, June 12 (IANS) As many as 669 candidates, including 238 women, have filed their nominations for the much-expected urban local body (ULB) elections in Nagaland to be held on June 26, officials said on Wednesday.

After more than 20 years, elections for the three municipal councils and 36 town councils will be held in the state amid the vote boycott call given by the Eastern Nagaland Peoples’ Organisation (ENPO).

Officials in the State Election Commission (SEC) said on Wednesday that the scrutiny of nomination papers will take place on Thursday with June 20 as the last date for withdrawing candidatures.

Importantly, the upcoming local body polls are the first-ever municipal elections in the state to be held with 33 per cent reservation for women.

The government took initiatives several times in the past to hold the ULB polls, but objections from the tribal bodies and civil society organisations against the reservation for women and the tax on land and properties had held back the polls.

ALSO READ:  Maharashtra: Woman govt officer plotted 'supari' killing of father-in-law for Rs 22-crore property

The elections were finally announced following the intervention of the Supreme Court.

Municipal elections in Nagaland were last held in 2004, and the terms of the civic bodies ended in 2009-10.

Meanwhile, ENPO, the influential Naga body, has already announced to boycott the June 26 civic polls, and urged the people of the six eastern Nagaland districts to abstain from voting.

Governor La Ganesan, the state government, the State Election Commission, and various other authorities have separately appealed to the ENPO and the people of eastern Nagaland to participate in the polls scheduled on June 26.

The SEC also severed a show-cause notice to the ENPO, but the Naga body remains firm on its decision.

The Lok Sabha polls for the lone seat in Nagaland were held on April 19 amid a call by the ENPO to the people of the six districts to abstain from voting over its demand for a separate state.

ALSO READ:  Pulled my shirt up, punched me in chest and stomach: Chilling details in Swati Maliwal’s FIR

The people in the six districts, which have over four lakh voters, remained indoors on April 19, responding to the ENPO’s call to press for its statehood demand for ‘Frontier Nagaland Territory’.

Since 2010, the ENPO has been demanding a separate ‘Frontier Nagaland Territory’, or a separate state, comprising six eastern Nagaland districts — Kiphire, Longleng, Mon, Noklak, Shamator, and Tuensang, inhabited by seven backward tribes — Chang, Khiamniungan, Konyak, Phom, Tikhir, Sangtam, and Yimkhiung.

–IANS

sc/arm

Continue Reading

National

Tribal welfare board scam: SIT arrests man behind creating fake bank accounts, seizes Rs 10 crore cash

Published

on

By

Bengaluru, June 12 (IANS) In a major development, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the tribal welfare board scam and suicide of an employee of the board has arrested a person behind the creation of fake bank accounts and seized 16 kg gold and Rs 10 crore cash, sources said on Wednesday.

The arrested person has been identified as Satyanarayana Varma, a resident of Hyderabad in Telangana.

According to the police, the accused had opened 18 fake accounts in various banks and huge funds were transferred to these accounts from the Karnataka Maharishi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation (KMVSTDC).

The accused’s role had come out during the verification of bank accounts to which the reserved government funds were transferred. The SIT sleuths are likely to bring him to Bengaluru.

The scam in the corporation came to light following the suicide of Chandrashekaran (50), who was working as an Account Superintendent in the Tribal Welfare Board.

ALSO READ:  Cops nab two minors for water-filled balloon attack in south Delhi

He was allegedly pressurised to move large sums of money to various illegal accounts.

It was alleged that the funds were diverted to Hyderabad to be used by Congress for the Lok Sabha election in Telangana and other states.

Congress has denied all the allegations.

B. Nagendra who was Minister for Youth Empowerment, Sports and Tribal Welfare has tendered his resignation in connection with the case. The BJP has been demanding the resignation of the Medical Education Minister Sharan Prakash Patil.

The BJP has also been pointing fingers at Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, senior Congress leaders Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi.

–IANS

mka/pgh

Continue Reading

Trending