Connect with us

National

Leadership crisis makes AAP to back out of LS polls in UP

Published

on

Lucknow, March 17 (IANS) A leadership crisis within the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Uttar Pradesh has forced it not to contest the Lok Sabha elections in the state.

According to party sources, the decision has been taken since senior AAP MP Sanjay Singh, who is in charge of the state, is in jail since October last year on money laundering charges and in his absence, it was felt that the campaign would not be possible.

“Sanjay Singh has been focusing on UP since the past three to four years and knows all that is needed for electoral politics. With his being in jail, there is no other leader who can fill the vacuum, select candidates, design the campaign and take part in electioneering. Rather than floundering in the field, it has been decided that we will not contest the polls in UP this time,” said a party functionary, Nadeem Ashraf.

He further said, “Sanjay Singh had been working relentlessly in UP and without him, it would not be possible to contest elections here. Instead, our workers will either go to Delhi or Punjab or other states to campaign for the party or will work for INDIA bloc candidates here.”

ALSO READ:  UP man bites off shopkeeper's finger over Rs 50 dispute

Another factor that has made AAP back away from contesting elections in UP is the fact that the main INDIA constituents in UP — the Samajwadi Party and Congress — have not even made an effort to involve AAP in seat sharing talks. “Since both the INDIA parties have announced their candidates in UP , there is no point in contesting the polls and damaging the opposition,” the AAP leader said.

–IANS

amita/dpb

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Delhi HC issues notice on fresh pleas against NEET(UG) grace marks, paper leak

Published

on

By

New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) The Delhi High Court on Wednesday issued notices in response to four new petitions challenging the award of grace marks and alleging a paper leak in the NEET (UG) Examination held on May 5.

Justice Neena Bansal Krishna of the Vacation Bench sought responses from the National Testing Agency (NTA) on the petitions.

On the petitions filed by candidates Adarsh Raj Gupta, Keya Azad, Mohammed Florez, and Anavadya V., Solicitor General (SG), Tushar Mehta, informed the court that multiple writ petitions regarding the examination have been filed in various courts, including the Supreme Court.

He stated that the issues raised in these petitions broadly fall into three categories: The awarding of compensatory or grace marks, anomalies in certain questions, and the alleged paper leak.

SG Tushar Mehta further noted that the NTA is in the process of filing a transfer plea before the Supreme Court to consolidate all related petitions for a unified hearing.

ALSO READ:  Shahjahan's arrest opens the field for Oppn parties in Sandeshkhali

In light of this, the Delhi High Court issued notices on the fresh petitions and scheduled them for hearing before the Roster Bench on July 5.

Earlier this week, the Supreme Court also issued a notice on a separate plea seeking the cancellation of the NEET (UG) examination due to allegations of a paper leak, with a hearing scheduled for July 8.

Last week, a 17-year-old moved the High Court challenging the NTA over alleged inconsistencies in the NEET (UG) 2024 examination.

The petition, filed by the student’s mother on her behalf, contests the accuracy of the answer key for the exam conducted.

The issue revolves around Question No. 29 in Test Booklet Code R5, where the final answer key, released on June 3, reportedly listed two correct answers.

This contradicts the instructions given in the examination booklet, which clearly stated that only one option could be correct for each multiple-choice question in Section A.

ALSO READ:  Historians Swapna Liddle, Alka Pande talk about Mughal art & architecture at AKLF

The petition highlights that the provisional answer key was published by the NTA on May 30 with a window for students to raise objections until May 31.

Despite this, the final answer key considered both options 2 and 4 as correct for the disputed question.

This discrepancy has significant implications for the examinees, it stressed.

The petitioner argues that the NTA’s decision to award marks to students who selected either of the two options unfairly benefits those who guessed or inadvertently marked one of the correct answers.

This, the petition claims, discriminates against candidates who followed the instructions and refrained from marking an answer due to the ambiguity.

The petitioner further contends that this inconsistency has resulted in arbitrary and unfair grace marks, adversely affecting the ranks of students who did not benefit from this decision.

According to the petition, such arbitrary awarding of marks can cause a rank difference of approximately 20,000 places, potentially impacting the future prospects of many candidates.

ALSO READ:  Assam: Four killed after hailstorm lashes state

Given these grievances, the petitioner has filed a writ petition under Article 226 of the Constitution, seeking the High Court’s intervention to address the alleged violations and ensure a fair resolution for all affected candidates.

The petitioner seeks a reassessment of the disputed question and a revision of the results to ensure equity and fairness in the examination process.

The High Court has sought NTA’s stand on the matter.

–IANS

spr/rad

Continue Reading

National

Haryana declares solid waste exigency in Gurugram

Published

on

By

Chandigarh, June 12 (IANS) Haryana Chief Secretary T.V.S.N. Prasad on Wednesday said due to the alarming levels of untreated waste in Gurugram the government has declared a municipal solid waste exigency under Section 22 of the Disaster Management Act, 2005.

In order to address the critical waste management issues, SWEEP (Solid Waste Environment Exigency Program) has been initiated.

He said the SWEEP program, spearheaded by a high-level committee, including the Divisional Commissioner, aims to overhaul waste management in Gurugram.

He said the committee is tasked with implementing a three-tier system for waste collection, segregation, transportation, processing, and disposal across all 35 wards of Gurugram and GMDA areas.

Additional measures include establishing a round-the-clock control room with a helpline for active monitoring, conducting a gap analysis of existing infrastructure, creating a GIS-based map for waste tracking, and developing a robust grievance redressal mechanism.

–IANS

vg/dan

ALSO READ:  Historians Swapna Liddle, Alka Pande talk about Mughal art & architecture at AKLF
Continue Reading

National

Husband kills wife, tries to make it look like suicide

Published

on

By

Gurugram, June 12 (IANS) A man was arrested after he allegedly killed his wife and tried to make it look like suicide by hanging her body from a ceiling fan in their house in Gurugram’s Indra colony, police said on Wednesday.

Satish, a resident of the Kannauj district of Uttar Pradesh had a strained relationship with his wife Reena and was also doubted her character. They often fought with each other, police said.

According to the police, on June 10, Sector-40 police station received information that a woman had committed suicide by hanging herself in the Indira Colony.

Police reached the spot where the deceased’s husband Satish Kumar and their two children were found. The police took the body into custody and started an investigation. During the investigation, the police found the matter suspicious and then the police contacted the deceased’s family.

On June 11, the deceased’s brother, Sudama, informed the police that his sister Reena was married to Satish 12 years ago. She was residing with her husband and children in Indira Colony, village Silokhara. Satish used to beat his sister since they got married.

ALSO READ:  Drugs, Indian currency worth over Rs 3 cr seized in Mizoram; six including four Myanmar nationals held

Thereafter, police interrogated the deceased’s husband thoroughly, who confessed to his crime and told the police that he killed his wife by strangulating her to death over suspicion of her character.

After committing the murder and trying to mislead the police, he told them that his wife had committed suicide by hanging herself.

“The accused has been arrested and further investigation is underway. The accused has confessed to his crime,” Sandeep Kumar, spokesperson of the Gurugram police said.

–IANS

str/kvd

Continue Reading

National

PM Modi to leave for Italy on Thursday to attend G7 Summit

Published

on

By

New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) In what would be his first overseas visit after assuming office for the third consecutive term, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be travelling to Italy on Thursday to attend the Group of Seven (G7) Summit being held in Puglia from June 13-15.

PM Modi will be attending the G7 Summit’s Outreach Sessions on Friday at the invitation of Italy’s Prime Minister Georgia Meloni.

“The visit will provide PM Modi an opportunity to engage with other world leaders present at the G7 Summit on issues of importance to India, as also to the Global South,” said Foreign Secretary Vinay Kwatra.

This will be the 11th time that India will be taking part in the G7 Summit and Prime Minister Modi’s fifth consecutive participation.

The outreach sessions, where PM Modi is going to participate along with leaders of other invited countries, are expected to focus on Artificial Intelligence, energy, Africa and the Mediterranean.

ALSO READ:  INDIA bloc headed for clear mandate, says Jairam Ramesh

“India’s regular participation at the G7 Summit clearly points to increasing recognition and contribution of the efforts that India has been consistently making in trying to resolve global challenges, including those of peace, security, development and environment preservation,” said Kwatra.

Prime Minister Modi is also expected to hold a series of bilateral meetings with several leaders on the sidelines of the event.

The Foreign Secretary stated that India will also be participating at the Ukraine ‘Peace Summit’ being held in Switzerland, later this week.

“India will be participating in the Peace Summit at an appropriate level. That consideration is currently going on in the system and as and when we have a decision on the representative from India who will be participating, we will be happy to share,” said the top diplomat.

–IANS

as/svn

Continue Reading

National

POCSO case: Victim's brother moves Karnataka HC seeking Yediyurappa’s arrest

Published

on

By

Bengaluru, June 12 (IANS) In a setback to former Chief Minister and BJP Parliamentary Board member B.S. Yediyurappa, a writ petition was submitted in the Karnataka High Court on Wednesday seeking his arrest in a POCSO case lodged against him in Bengaluru before the Lok Sabha elections.

The victim’s brother filed the petition before the high court, claiming that the police have not taken any action though it has been months since the complaint was filed against the veteran BJP leader.

The victim’s mother, who passed away on May 26, had filed a case against Yediyurappa in March this year under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, alleging harassment of her daughter when she went to the former CM’s residence seeking help in a 2015 case of assault.

The petitioner claimed that the CCTV footage from Yediyurappa’s residence was not seized, and neither was a notice served to the BJP under Section 41A, which is a basic step in a POCSO case.

ALSO READ:  LS poll campaign: PM Modi to hold public meetings in MP, UP today

Earlier, Yediyurappa also approached the high court seeking quashing of the POCSO case against him.

He submitted in his petition that he did not indulge in any unlawful act, and alleged that the complainant had a habit of filing complaints.

“I had attended the interrogation after the FIR was lodged. The police had collected voice samples but did not record my statement,” Yediyurappa claimed.

In March, the victim’s mother had filed complaints against 53 persons, including senior police officers, politicians, and bureaucrats.

Commenting on the case, Karnataka Home Minister G. Parameshwara said on Wednesday that the investigation is going on and the police are gathering more evidence.

Earlier, the Congress government in Karnataka handed over the case to the special wing of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

–mka

IANS/arm

Continue Reading

Trending