Connect with us

National

Mamata Banerjee slams judiciary over court ruling in school jobs case

Published

on

Kolkata, April 23 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday launched a scathing attack against the judiciary over the Calcutta High ruling on Monday that cancelled 25,753 appointments in teaching and non-teaching posts made by the West Bengal School Service Commission (WBSSC) in 2016.

Addressing an election rally at Bhatar in East Burdwan district, the Trinamool Congress supremo said, “I do not want to name anybody. The judges will earn their livelihood from the public exchequer. The state exchequer will bear the cost of their security. Yet they will terminate services.”

In a crucial ruling on Monday, a division bench of the Calcutta High Court cancelled the appointment of all the 25,753 persons empanelled in 2016 for various categories of jobs at secondary and higher secondary schools in West Bengal. The case is being probed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Enforcement Directorate (ED).

Speaking at the rally, the Chief Minister also indirectly linked a section of the judiciary to the BJP.

ALSO READ:  Viral video showing BJP leader's minor son casting vote triggers row in MP

“We provide appointments, which they terminate using the court. Had there been any irregularity, we could have been informed. We could have rectified the errors. I cannot look after everything. There are different departments in the state government,” the Chief Minister said.

She also asked who would take the responsibility in case anyone takes a drastic step following the termination of his or her service.

After the court ruling on Monday, the Chief Minister had indirectly alleged a clandestine link between the BJP and a section of the judiciary, as she questioned how could someone predict in advance what the court’s decision would be.

Although Banerjee did not name anyone, her hint was at the leader of the opposition in the West Bengal Assembly, Suvendu Adhikari, who on Saturday claimed that Trinamool Congress would receive a major jolt that will shake the entire party next week.

“Someone said there will be an explosion. What sort of explosion? Is it the termination of service of 26,000 people? I condemn that. How could someone predict the court’s ruling in advance? The verdict was pronounced on Monday but some predicted it on Saturday.

ALSO READ:  50 huts gutted in fire in Telangana’s Karimnagar town

“How could this happen unless the person who made the projection himself drafted the court order,” the Chief Minister said on Monday.

–IANS

src/arm

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Govt asks telecom providers to block incoming international spoofed calls

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) In a significant move, the government on Sunday issued directions to Telecom Service Providers (TSPs) for blocking incoming international spoofed calls.

It noted that together with the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), the TSPs have devised a system to help identify and block incoming international spoofed calls from reaching any Indian telecom subscriber.

In a statement, the Ministry of Communications informed that “fraudsters are making international spoofed calls displaying Indian mobile numbers to Indian citizens and committing cyber-crime and financial frauds”.

“These calls appear to be originating within India but being made by the cyber-criminals from abroad by manipulating the calling line identity (CLI),” it added.

The ministry said that these calls “have been misused in recent cases of fake digital arrests, FedEx scams, drugs/narcotics in courier, impersonation as Govt and police officials, disconnections of mobile numbers by DoT/TRAI officials, etc”.

The DoT had previously asked the TSPs to block incoming international spoofed calls with Indian landline numbers.

ALSO READ:  Kejriwal 'kingpin & key conspirator' in excise policy case, says ED

“Now directions have been issued to the TSPs for blocking of such incoming international spoofed calls,” the ministry said.

To maintain the safety and security of the users, DoT has taken many initiatives including citizen-centric Sanchar Saathi portal to protect telecom users.

“Despite best efforts, there may still be some fraudsters who succeed through other means. For such calls, you can help everybody by reporting such suspected fraud communications at the Chakshu facility on Sanchar Saathi,” the ministry said.

–IANS

rvt/svn

Continue Reading

National

Two girls drown in Kerala river

Published

on

By

Thiruvananthapuram, May 26 (IANS) Two girls, who were cousins, died by drowning in Chalakudy river in Ernakulam district on Sunday.

The deceased are identified as Megha and Jwala Lakshmi.

According to police, a group of five women including three girls reached the Chalakudy river for a dip after attending the funeral services of their relative.

While the two women did not enter the river, the three girls went in and strong currents swept them away. One girl was rescued by the local people after those on the bank raised an alarm. However, Megha and Jwala Lakshmi could not be saved.

–IANS

aal/kvd

ALSO READ:  50 huts gutted in fire in Telangana’s Karimnagar town
Continue Reading

National

Swati Maliwal alleges threats following campaign by AAP leaders, YouTuber Dhruv Rathee

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) AAP Rajya Sabha MP Swati Maliwal on Sunday said that she has been receiving rape and death threats after a “character assassination” campaign allegedly orchestrated by party leaders and volunteers.

She said that the situation escalated after the YouTuber Dhruv Rathee posted a one-sided video against her.

“After the leaders and volunteers of my party, i.e., AAP orchestrated a campaign of character assassination, victim shaming, and fanning of emotions against me, I have been getting rape and death threats. This got further exacerbated when YouTuber @Dhruv_Rathee posted a one-sided video against me,” Maliwal wrote on X (formerly Twitter) on Sunday.

Maliwal accused the party leadership of trying to intimidate her into withdrawing her complaint. She also expressed disappointment with Dhruv Rathee, saying that despite her efforts to contact him and share her side of the story, he ignored her calls and messages.

“It is shameful that people like him, who claim to be independent journalists, could act like other AAP spokespersons and victim-shame me to the extent that I am now facing extreme abuses and threats,” she added.

ALSO READ:  Sheikh Shahjahan sent to 10-day police custody

Maliwal listed several points that she felt were neglected in Dhruv Rathee’s 2.5-minute video:

She said Rathee failed to mention: why the AAP took a U-turn after accepting that the incident happened; the ⁠MLC report that reveals injuries due to the assault; selected part of the video was released and then the phone of the accused was formatted; the accused was arrested from the crime scene (CM house). Why was he allowed to enter the place again? For tampering of evidence?; and how a woman who always stood for the right issues, even went to Manipur alone without security could be bought over by the BJP?

“The manner in which the entire party machinery and its supporters have attempted to vilify and shame me speaks volumes about their stand on women’s issues. I am reporting these rape and death threats to @DelhiPolice. I hope they take strong action against the perpetrators,” Maliwal said.

ALSO READ:  Two school buses parked in Delhi school catch fire

She concluded by noting, “In any case, if something happens to me, we know who instigated it.”

Bibhav Kumar was arrested on May 18 in connection with the assault on Maliwal at Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s residence on May 13.

Kumar, a former PS to Kejriwal, on Saturday moved local court seeking bail. The court has issued notice to Delhi Police and sought its reply.

–IANS

ssh/dan

Continue Reading

National

Kerala: IMD predicts heavy rain till May 29, issues yellow alert

Published

on

By

Thiruvananthapuram, May 26 (IANS) The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) on Sunday predicted that heavy rains will continue in Kerala till May 29 and also issued a ‘yellow alert’ in Pathanamthitta, Alappuzha, Kottayam and Ernakulam districts.

The IMD said that thunderstorms accompanied by gusty winds reaching speeds of 30-40 kmph are likely to occur in some places in Kerala on Sunday.

IMD has warned the fishermen not to venture into the sea till further notice. “Those living in coastal areas are advised to move to other safer places,” the IMD said.

The Kerala State Disaster Management Authority (KSDMA) also informed the fishermen to keep their fishing vessels and mechanised boats safe in the respective harbours to prevent them from drifting away into the sea.

The IMD said that the state will continue to witness heavy rains till May 29 due to the low-pressure area formed over the southeast Arabian Sea.

ALSO READ:  Goa: PRAWAH to meet on Feb 13, says WRD Minister

At least 13 people have lost their lives in Kerala due to the incessant rains which has also hit normal life. Around 230 people are staying in relief camps due to the water logging and inundation, leading to damage to the homes.

Rains have been lashing Kerala for the past week and several houses were damaged and roads inundated leading to traffic disruptions.

Several shops and commercial establishments in low-lying areas of Pathanamthitta, Alappuzha, Ernakulam and Thiruvananthapuram have also been inundated.

KSDMA said that 15 houses have been fully damaged while 218 houses have been partially damaged due to heavy rains.

–IANS

aal/dan

Continue Reading

National

SpiceJet flight to Leh returns to Delhi after engine hit by bird

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) A SpiceJet aircraft bound for Leh returned to Delhi airport following a bird-hit on engine 2 on Sunday, prompting authorities to declare a full emergency at the airport.

As per official sources, the flight took off from IGI airport at 1030 hours and landed safely at about 1100 hours.

“On May 26, 2024, SpiceJet B737 aircraft operating SG-123 from Delhi to Leh returned to Delhi after suffering a bird hit on engine 2,” said the airline spokesperson.

“The aircraft landed back safely in Delhi and passengers were deplaned normally. The aircraft made a normal landing and not an emergency landing,” added the spokesperson.

According to sources, the aircraft was carrying 135 people.

–IANS

ssh/kvd

ALSO READ:  Two school buses parked in Delhi school catch fire
Continue Reading

Trending