Connect with us

National

Markets, business establishments reopen in Nagaland after 3-day shutdown

Published

on

Kohima, April 29 (IANS) Markets, trade, and business establishments in Nagaland reopened on Monday after three days of shutdown, called by traders’ bodies to protest against “unabated extortion” by underground groups, following an appeal by the government.

The Confederation of Nagaland Chamber of Commerce and Industries (CNCCI) and the Dimapur Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI), who called the shutdown across the state, relaxed the strike on Monday for varying periods in different parts of the state.

Urging both the CNCCI and the DCCI to call off the indefinite shutdown, state Home Commissioner Vikeyie Kenya said that the state government assured necessary action in all the cases of extortion/illegal activities by multiple groups in the state.

Responding to the demands of the traders’ bodies, he said that the state Government does not support, and is fully against any illegal taxation or forcible demand or collection by any group or entity or individual in the state.

ALSO READ:  Union Minister Nisith Pramanik complains as car stopped for checking in Cooch Behar

Kenya said that the state government has empowered the police and district administration to act upon each and every complaint in regards to extortion, kidnapping, and waylaying of transport swiftly and book the culprits under the law and National Security Act to ensure safety and security of every individual in the state.

“Any aggrieved person may approach the law enforcing agencies in this regard,” the Home Commissioner said in a letter to the traders’ bodies.

The shutdown against “unabated extortion” by underground groups was first observed in the state’s commercial capital Dimapur on April 26 and subsequently, markets, trade and business establishments joined the agitation called by the CNCCI.

The DCCI and the CNCCI had earlier urged the state government to take immediate steps to stop the illegal “unabated extortions, intimidations, harassment and summons” by the underground groups.

Officials said that the Nagaland Police introduced an app and urged the business community, people and all stakeholders to report cases of extortion, intimidation, and drug trafficking.

ALSO READ:  Rajasthan: 3 killed after huge rock falls on workers inside granite mine

Due to the shutdown, prices of essential commodities, vegetables and fuel increased to a large extent, badly affecting the common people.

–IANS

sc/vd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

FIR lodged against Prajwal Revanna's brother over alleged sexual assault case

Published

on

By

Bengaluru, June 22 (IANS) The Karnataka Police have lodged an FIR against JD (S) MLC and former Prime Minister H.D. Deve Gowda’s grandson Suraj Revanna on Saturday night and summoned him to the police station for questioning in connection with the alleged sexual assault case lodged by a JD (S) worker, the police said.

Suraj Revanna has arrived at the Holenarasipura Rural police station and is being questioned by the police.

Police sources are not ruling out the possibility of arresting Suraj Revanna during the investigation.

The police have registered an FIR against Suraj Revanna under IPC Sections 377 (unnatural sex), 342 (wrongful confinement) and 506 (criminal intimidation).

The victim in the case had sent his complaint to the office of both the DGP and the Hassan Superintendent of Police.

The police after getting the copy of the complaint in this regard had transferred the case to the jurisdictional Holenarasipur Rural police station.

ALSO READ:  Polling stations to contain all amenities for voters amid heat, orders EC

The police had contacted the victim in connection with the alleged sexual assault case and recorded his statement.

The police had also taken the victim for a medical test.

Sources said that the victim is being taken to Bengaluru for medical tests upon his insistence.

Reacting to the development, Suraj Revanna said that it is a political conspiracy against him, and he has no idea how long it will go.

“Baseless allegations are made against me and I outrightly reject these allegations. Things will be dealt with legally and an FIR is also lodged against the victim.”

“Let there be an investigation and the truth should come out. I have faith in the law of the land. This is a conspiracy, and I won’t comment on it today. I am not going to point my fingers at anyone. The investigation is under progress and the truth will come out. The people of the state will know the truth,” he added.

ALSO READ:  ‘No change in exam schedule’: CBSE warns against fake notice

The victim alleged that he had met Suraj Revanna at a function organised by him.

Impressed by his organisational skills, Suraj Revanna allegedly shared his mobile number and started sending endearing messages with love symbols.

He was asked to meet him at his farmhouse where he was allegedly sexually abused.

Suraj Revanna’s elder brother and former JD (S) MP Prajwal Revanna has been arrested in connection with the sex video scandal.

His father JD (S) MLA H.D. Revanna was jailed and out on conditional bail in a kidnapping case linked to the sex video scandal.

His mother Bhavani Revanna is facing an investigation in a kidnapping case and was recently granted conditional bail from the court.

The Karnataka Police have also filed an FIR against two persons on charges of extortion following allegations of sexual abuse against Suraj Revanna.

Suraj Revanna’s aide Shivakumar filed a case against the victim and his kin at the Holenarasipura police station.

ALSO READ:  SC dismisses ED plea challenging Calcutta HC guidelines on raids, searches in Bengal scams probe

Shivakumar said in the complaint that false allegations were made against Suraj Revanna to extort money.

The complaint claimed that the accused had threatened Suraj Revanna with lodging a case of sexual abuse if he failed to pay Rs 5 crore.

The police have registered a case under IPC Sections 384 (extortion) and 584 (criminal intimidation).

–IANS

mka/khz

Continue Reading

National

Goa BJP MLA claims traffic cops prioritising challans over road safety

Published

on

By

Panaji, June 23 (IANS) BJP’s Calangute MLA Michael Lobo on Saturday alleged that the Traffic Police were prioritising targets to issue challan against traffic violations instead of taking measures to stop accidents.

Former Minister Lobo expressed concerns over the rising number of accidents in the coastal state and advocated the need to take measures at accident-prone zones.

“Accidents are taking place due to rash and negligent driving and also because of lack of traffic signage boards, unpainted speed breakers and uneven roads. Officers and local bodies should see that all these things are done properly,” Lobo said, adding people’s lives are more important.

“Strict measures should be taken. They (Traffic Police) are taking these measures to issue challans to traffic violators. They are busy giving challans for violation of seat belts, no entry, etc. They stand in such places, where ‘No Entry’ boards are not properly seen and then take action against the public,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Union Minister Nisith Pramanik complains as car stopped for checking in Cooch Behar

“They are trying to show that the order given by authorities has to be obeyed and hence they fulfill a target of 50 challans per day. All traffic cells have been given a target and to accomplish it traffic cells are issuing challans. This can’t be accepted,” Lobo added.

“I will speak about this issue with Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and will raise the issue in the Assembly session. Such targets will not reduce the number of accidents,” he said.

Earlier, MLA Lobo had said that Traffic Police harass tourists by imposing fines, which should be stopped or the wrong message will be sent by the state.

Lobo is the third BJP MLA, who has openly alleged that Traffic Police harass tourists visiting the coastal state.

Earlier, Goa Revenue Minister Atanasio Monserrate and Tourism Minister Rohan Khaunte had also alleged that tourists were being harassed by the Traffic Police.

–IANS

sbk/khz

ALSO READ:  Coimbatore car blast: NIA raids in Coimbatore, Tiruchi and Madurai
Continue Reading

National

Centre orders CBI probe into allegations of irregularities in NEET-UG

Published

on

By

New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) The Centre on Saturday ordered a CBI investigation into the alleged irregularities in the NEET-UG 2024.

The National Testing Agency (NTA) conducted the NEET-UG on May 5 in the offline OMR mode.

“Certain cases of alleged irregularities/cheating/impersonation/malpractices have been reported. For transparency on the conduct of the examination process, the Ministry of Education, Government of India after a review has decided to entrust the matter to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for comprehensive investigation,” the Centre said in a statement.

“Central government has also enacted the Public Examination (Prevention of Unfair Means) Act, 2024, to prevent unfair means in the public examinations and to provide for matter connected therewith or incidental thereto,” it added.

The NEET-UG, an abbreviation for the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (Undergraduate), is conducted by the NTA for admission in undergraduate medical programs.

–IANS

gcb/sha

ALSO READ:  Union Minister Nisith Pramanik complains as car stopped for checking in Cooch Behar
Continue Reading

National

Bihar EOU submits NEET paper leak probe report to Education Ministry

Published

on

By

Patna June 22 (IANS) The Economic Offences Unit (EOU) of Bihar Police probing the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) paper leak case submitted its report to the Union Education Ministry on Saturday.

Nearly 24 lakh students appeared for NEET-UG 2024 for undergraduate medical programmes on May 5. The results were released ahead of schedule on June 4. However, controversy arose with claims of question paper leak and the awarding of grace marks to more than 1,500 students, leading to widespread protests and legal actions, particularly in Bihar.

Nayyar Hasnain Khan, the Additional Director General of EOU, met the officials of the Education Ministry in Delhi on Saturday and submitted the report, which includes the statements of 13 arrested persons, admit cards, partially burnt question papers, booklets, and booking records of the NHAI guest house where the aspirants memorised the answers after the papers were allegedly leaked a day before the test.

As per sources, Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan is likely to do a hold review meeting with the officials, including Khan, on Monday.

ALSO READ:  I&B Minister Anurag Thakur condemns 'attack on media freedom' in Bengal

–IANS

ajk/arm

Continue Reading

National

Union Minister Kumaraswamy holds meeting with HMT officials in B'luru

Published

on

By

Bengaluru, June 22 (IANS) Union Heavy Industries and Steel Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy on Saturday held a meeting with the top officials of the ailing PSU Hindustan Machine and Tools (HMT) in Bengaluru.

During the meeting, the Minister had discussions with the company’s Chairman and Managing Director Rajesh Kohli, along with other senior officials.

The officials observed demonstrations and received comprehensive information about the company’s activities.

Chairman Rajesh Kohli outlined the various problems HMT was facing, including financial crises, lawsuits, and overall losses.

He stressed the need for the Union government’s intervention to resolve these issues.

In response, Minister Kumaraswamy promised to address these challenges.

Minister Kumaraswamy reviewed details on turnover, net profit, and other key metrics.

He discussed the financial, production, and operational conditions of the company with the officials.

The once-glorious HMT is currently facing significant challenges.

The Minister emphasised the need to strengthen the company and instructed Rajesh Kohli to submit a proposal to the Union government for necessary support.

ALSO READ:  I&B Minister Anurag Thakur condemns 'attack on media freedom' in Bengal

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ (Self-Reliant India) initiative was highlighted as a framework for HMT’s revival.

Minister Kumaraswamy encouraged the officials to adopt this vision and lead the recovery efforts, assuring them of the Union government’s assistance.

The Minister noted that HMT produces tools for the Department of Defence and space programmes, and has manufacturing units across the country.

He suggested that the company should enhance its capacity.

–IANS

mka/khz

Continue Reading

Trending