Connect with us

Sports

Nadal confirms return to action in Barcelona Open

Published

on

Madrid, April 15 (IANS) Spanish tennis legend Rafael Nadal confirmed on Monday that he will return to action in the Barcelona Open on Tuesday. Nadal called a press conference on the first day of the event he has won 12 times to say he will compete for the first time in almost three months after another injury setback had prevented him from competing in January’s Australian Open.

“I am happy to be here as I have a lot of good memories of this tournament,” he said, explaining he had come as a last-minute decision. “I have had a good week of training and I am going to be on court tomorrow [Tuesday],” he confirmed.

The 37-year-old Nadal has already hinted he will retire at the end of the year, and his words in Barcelona did nothing to change that view, reports Xinhua. “At this situation in my career, I am in a different situation, and rather than lament what I have missed, I would rather be happy to be here. I am taking this as my last year and I want to enjoy every moment and give it a special feeling.”

ALSO READ:  Premier League: Arsenal see off Luton to reclaim top spot

“I try and manage the situation with my injuries as well as possible, we know what there is and I will continue until it’s not worth doing so.”

“I am not going to set a limit, but life marks the way for you and I will try and do the most logical thing,” he said.

The veteran said it was a shame that Carlos Alcaraz, who many see as his successor, won’t compete in Barcelona due to a problem with his forearm. “It’s bad news for the tournament to lose the top seed in my half of the draw, but I’m still not ready to think about the semifinals,” commented Nadal.

–IANS

bsk/

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

T20 World Cup: Canada, Namibia, Oman win warm-up matches

Published

on

By

Dallas (USA), May 29 (IANS) Canada, Oman, and Namibia won their respective warm-up matches ahead of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, gaining some advantage in their buildup to the mega event to be played in the USA and Caribbean. Canada defeated Nepal by 63 runs at the Grand Prairie Cricket Stadium, Dallas; Oman handed Papua New Guinea a 3-wicket win while Namibia got the better of fellow African side Uganda by five wickets at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, Tarouba.

Electing to bat first, Canada rode on a half-century by Nicholas Kirton and a blazing unbeaten 41 off 17 balls as Canada posted 183/7 in 20 overs on Tuesday. Opener Navneet Dhaliwal gave them a decent start with 32 off 27 balls, hitting four boundaries while Kirton struck a 39-ball 52, studded with four boundaries and two sixes. Ravinderpal Singh hammered one four and four maximums as he contributed a vital 17-ball 41 to help Canada post a challenging total.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Rayudu wants Rohit to lead CSK when Dhoni retires

In response, Nepal were bundled out for 120 runs in 19.3 overs with Dilon Heyliger claiming 4-20 in 2.3 overs. Jeremy Gordon and Saad Bin Zafar both claimed identical 2-25 each for Canada. For Nepal Kushal Malla scored a 30-ball 37 while Aasif Sheikh and Anil Sah contributed 22 and 24 runs respectively. Six Nepalese batters were out for single figures.

Electing to field first, Oman restricted Papua New Guinea (PNG) to 137/9 in 20 overs thanks to a three-fer by Aqib Ilyas (3-22) and 2-20 by Bilal Khan. Lega Siaka top-scored with 28 runs off 24 balls, hitting three boundaries.

Chasing 138, Oman rode on a 42-ball 45 by Zeeshan Maqsood, who blasted four boundaries and one six, while Khalid Kail (27 off 26 balls) as they reached 141/7 in 19.1 overs.

In another match played at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, Tarouba, Uranda could manage only 134 in 20 overs despite a half-century by Roger Mukasa, who struck six boundaries and one six off 41 balls.

ALSO READ:  Premier League: Arsenal see off Luton to reclaim top spot

Robinson Obuya scored 38 off 27 balls, hitting five boundaries and two sixes, and shared a 34-run partnership for the third wicket. Namibia rode on a 34-ball 54 by opener Nikolaas Davin, who struck three boundaries and five maximums to mount a successful chase. Davin added 85 runs for the second wicket partnership with Jean-Pierre Kotze (29 off 31 balls) as they virtually put Namibia on course to victory.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

French Open: De Minaur, and Fritz advance to second round; Navone too wins first-round clash

Published

on

By

Paris, May 28 (IANS) Australian Alex de Minaur, American Taylor Fritz, Mariano Navone, and Jaume Munar won their respective men’s singles matches and reached the second round of the French Open 2024 in the French capital on Tuesday.

Alex de Minaur kick-started his Roland Garros campaign in style, despite a few hours of rain interruption which did not do anything to prevent him from advancing on Tuesday afternoon. After play finally got underway on Court Simonne-Mathieu in around afternoon, the 11th-seeded Australian raced past #NextGenATP Alex Michelsen 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 to seal his second-round spot at the clay-court major.

De Minaur converted eight of 13 break points he earned, according to Infosys Stats, to advance to face Jaume Munar or Roberto Bautista Agut. De Minaur saved two break points in the opening game of the match but barely looked back from then on, ultimately wrapping victory in just one hour and 48 minutes against Roland Garros debutant Michelsen.

ALSO READ:  Noor Ali Zadran bids farewell to international cricket

With his win, the No. 11 in the ATP Rankings avenged his loss to Michelsen in February in Los Cabos and tied the pair’s ATP head-to-head series at 1-1.

Taylor Fritz too reached the second round, taking the tally of Americans in the second round to six by rallying past Federico Coria 2-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1. The 12th seed put together an impressive display full of clean baseline hitting to down Argentina’s Coria in two hours, and 28 minutes on Court 9.

Navone will take on Tomas Machac in the second round. The Geneva finalist overcame Nuno Borges 7-6(3), 6-4, 6-3 for his maiden Roland Garros win.

Spaniard Jaume Munar defeated Roberto Bautista Agut 6-1, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 while 28th seed Tomas Martin Etcheverry of Argentina fought back from defeat in the first set to beat Arthur Cazaux of France 3-6, 6-2, 6-1, 6-4.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

German paddler Boll to retire from international stage after Paris Olympics

Published

on

By

Berlin (Germany), May 28 (IANS) As Timo Boll boarded the Air China flight CA932 this Monday evening, the 43-year-old might have started his trip to the WTT Champions tournament in Chongqing with mixed feelings. Shortly before his departure, the two-time Olympic silver medallist announced that the Paris Olympic Games, his seventh Olympics, would be his last international appearance.

“In the past, I often talked about being a little afraid of the decision to end my international career, despite it was inevitable that this day would come,” the former World No. 1 said. “Now the time has come for my farewell on the world stage of active sport.”

Boll also announced he will play another season for his club Borussia Dusseldorf in the national league and the Champions League. The veteran paddler is said to be around as an advisor for his German club after his last season, reports Xinhua. “Table tennis has been my life, and I will be around in whatever function,” he said.

ALSO READ:  ITBP, Maharashtra Police continue to dominate in National Kho Kho Championship

Boll noted that he will “pay special attention to China and its people. There are so many ideas of what to do. I am sure my life will stay active and thrilling.” Boll said he is thankful for his career. “But it seems enough now. My career has left its marks,” he stated, referring to various injuries over the years.

“You start to extend your recovery time, find ways to explore new treatment measures, you reduce your training times to be at a competitive level when in tournaments,” he told Xinhua in a recent interview. “I have reached an age that is affecting my performance. It has been a constant fight against the pain over the past years. That’s far from satisfying, and you are aware you more and more lose the fight against the pain.”

The first German paddler to become the world No. 1 in 2003, Boll has also clinched two silvers at Beijing 2008 and Tokyo 2020, and two bronzes at London 2012 and Rio 2016, all in the men’s team event. “To be here is like coming home, as China has become my second home over the years,” Boll said of his relationship with China. “I know many players and people have a big fan base. It’s always a pleasure for me to be here or play tournaments in China.”

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Will cheer now for Sharma ji ka beta at T20 WC, says Rahul as LSG end campaign with win

The prospect of attending his seventh Olympics made him continue despite “the past years hasn’t been overwhelmingly joyful.”

Before stepping down, one of his sport’s greatest is heading for a last big goal. “It would be a perfect farewell if we manage to win a team medal at the Olympics in Paris,” said the eight-times European Champion who has a 25-year career.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Football: Italian coach Maresca to leave Leicester City for Chelsea

Published

on

By

London, May 28 (IANS) Chelsea are set to name Enzo Maresca as their new first-team coach after the 44-year-old announced intentions to leave Leicester City on Tuesday. Maresca confirmed his departure from the club he led to promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt in a post on social media.

“It’s with great emotion that I write to you today to say goodbye. In less than a year at the club, I’m proud to say we archived exactly what was needed which is coming back to the Premier League,” wrote the Italian.

Maresca was a cultured central midfielder who represented a host of teams, including Juventus, Sevilla, Malaga, Fiorentina, and Sampdoria, before moving into coaching, reports Xinhua.

He picked up valuable experience in the Manchester City youth system and had a brief spell with Parma before spending a year as Pep Guardiola’s assistant.

Last season saw him appointed to Leicester City with the task of taking the recently relegated side back to the Premier League. Maresca did that at the first attempt, with the team finishing top of the Championship.

ALSO READ:  PVL Season 3: Delhi Toofans stun Bengaluru Torpedoes, to get off the mark

Chelsea had asked Leicester for permission to speak to the coach about the vacancy after the departure of Mauricio Pochettino at the end of the season. The Italian is expected to sign a five-year contract.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

MotoGP 2024: Joan Mir, Luca Marini bullish as Honda Team get straight back to work in Mugello

Published

on

By

Italy, May 28 (IANS) Team Honda riders Joan Mir and Luca Marini will get back into action soon after an intense burst of action with back-to-back races and a test as the 2024 MotoGP World Championship season gathers pace at the Gran Premio d’Italia in Mugello, Italy.

The first back-to-back weekend of the season sees the Honda Team travel from Barcelona to Mugello for another weekend of MotoGP action. A classic on the MotoGP calendar, the Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello is known for its incredibly straight and fast, flowing corners. The layout of the circuit will give both teams and riders a great opportunity to continue collecting data and working towards the future.

Local hero Marini enters the weekend eager to embrace the boost from his home fans off the back of a weekend of progress in Barcelona. Recent upgrades and changes to the Honda RC213V have helped Marini to improve his feeling and close the distance to the other Honda riders, authoring a strong start to the Catalan GP where he challenged for top Honda honours.

ALSO READ:  Noor Ali Zadran bids farewell to international cricket

On the other side of the Honda Team garage, Mir is targeting a return to his early-year form. Despite taking points and fighting for top Honda honours in Barcelona, Mir is hungry for more around the Italian track. His best premier class result at the track came in 2021 when he finished third.

Marini said he is looking forward to his home grand prix.

“Your home GP is always something nice and I am really excited to go there as a factory Honda rider for the first time. I really want to enjoy the weekend with the Italian fans and enjoy their support. We made progress in Barcelona and I know that we can keep building on what we found during our private Mugello test for this coming weekend,” said Marini.

“It’s all about making this progress at each round and continuing to feel better and better. You can understand a lot about a bike around Mugello so the weekend, and post-race test, will be very useful for us,” he added.

ALSO READ:  Shoaib Bashir becomes youngest English bowler to pick multiple fifers before turning 21

Mir said, “We have this race and a test before a bit of a break in the calendar. I want to extract the maximum possible from this weekend to recover from the tricky weekend we had in Barcelona. Everyone in the team and HRC are working hard to make improvements and continue development. We have some ideas already from the test we had here, so let’s keep on going and enjoy riding.”

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Trending