Connect with us

National

President, PM extend best wishes on Odia New Year

Published

on

President, PM extend best wishes on Odia New Year

Bhubaneswar, April 14 (IANS) Wishes poured in from all corners of the country as Odisha celebrates New Year on the occasion of Maha Bishuba Sankranti or Pana Sankranti on Sunday.

President Droupadi Murmu took to her official X handle and posted: “On the occasion of Pana Sankranti, I wish hearty congratulations to the people of Odisha and Odia brothers and sisters living abroad. Pana Sankranti or Maha Bishuba Sankranti is celebrated in every nook and corner of Odisha with pomp and gaiety. I wish happiness and prosperity to my beloved Odia brothers and sisters on the occasion of Odia New Year, a symbol of cultural richness.”

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP chief J. P. Nadda, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, and several other dignitaries extended their wishes to the people on the traditional Odia New Year.

“Best wishes on Maha Bishuba Pana Sankranti and Odia New Year. We take great pride in the wonderful Odia culture. I pray that the year ahead is full of happiness and success. May all your dreams be fulfilled as well and may everyone be healthy,” tweeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

ALSO READ:  Centre extends cut-off date for enrolment under PMFBY to July 31 in Maharashtra

Taking to his official X handle, Nadda wrote: “My warmest regards to all the brothers and sisters of Odisha on the occasion of Maha Bishuba Sankranti. May this New Year bring good health, profound happiness, and prosperity to everyone’s life. Wishing you all a year ahead filled with blessings and success. Jay Jagannath!”

“I extend best wishes and greetings on the occasion of Maha Bishuba Sankranti or Odia New Year. May the immense grace of Lord Jagannath fill happiness and prosperity in the life of everyone,” CM Patnaik tweeted.

–IANS

gyan/sd/uk

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Encounter starts in J&K’s Kupwara District

Published

on

By

Encounter starts in J&K’s Kupwara District

Encounter starts in J&K’s Kupwara District

Srinagar, July 23 (IANS) A gunfight started in the forest area of Jammu and Kashmir’s (J&K) Kupwara District between the security forces and terrorists on Tuesday.

Officials said that the security forces started a CASO (Cordon & Search Operation) in Trumkhan forests of Kupwara District after receiving Intelligence inputs about the presence of terrorists there.

“As the security forces came closer to the hiding terrorists, they fired at the security personnel triggering an encounter which is now underway”, officials said.

Earlier on Tuesday, one Army soldier was martyred in Battal area of KG sector in Mendhar Tehsil of Poonch District where the Army foiled an infiltration bid by the ultras.

The operation against the militants is still going on in Battal.

Security forces are aggressively carrying out anti-terror operations after the ultras made their presence felt in the mountainous areas of Jammu Division.

Over 4,000 soldiers including those drawn from the elite Para Commandos and those trained in mountain warfare have been deployed in the hilly areas of Poonch, Rajouri, Doda, Reasi and Kathua districts of Jammu division.

ALSO READ:  Non-locals' killing in Srinagar: Search on for accused's cellphone, more evidence

–IANS

sq/rad

Continue Reading

National

Over 4,300 students crossed over to India from B’desh in last 4 days

Published

on

By

Over 4,300 students crossed over to India from B’desh in last 4 days

Over 4,300 students crossed over to India from B’desh in last 4 days

Kolkata, July 23 (IANS) Border Security Force (BSF) on Tuesday said that over 4,300 students, including a Canadian and two Maldivian nationals, have crossed over to India from Bangladesh in the last four days.

“Since Friday, 4,315 students have crossed over the Indo-Bangladesh Border (IBB) and have been provided assistance by the BSF. Of those students who have crossed over, 3,087 are Indians, 41 Bangladeshis, 1,118 Nepalese, 66 Bhutanese, two Maldivians and a Canadian,” an official of the BSF’s Eastern Command said.

He said that these students have undergone medical check-ups and have been provided food.

“Special counters have also been set up for documentation, as and when the need arises. Transportation is also being provided to the students by the BSF to their nearest destinations,” the official said.

Eastern Command ADG BSF Ravi Gandhi has issued an ‘Operation Alert’ – all along the IBB – after nationwide violence erupted in neighbouring Bangladesh.

ALSO READ:  We’re committed to provide right environment for startups to flourish, create wealth: PM Modi

“While security has been tightened to prevent any illegal immigration from across the IBB, special care is being taken to ensure the safe return of students from India as well as other countries,” the BSF official said.

BSF’s Eastern Command is entrusted with the responsibility of guarding the IBB passing along 32 districts of five Indian states that adjoin 30 Bangladeshi districts. The IBB stretches for 4096.7 km, 23 per cent of which is riverine and unfenced. This is the fifth-longest land border in the world.

“We are closely monitoring the situation across the IBB while facilitating in safe return of students, in close coordination with sister agencies and the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB),” the official said.

He said that the BSF has made all operational and administrative arrangements at the Integrated Check Posts (ICPs) and Land Customs Stations (LCSs) for refreshments, food packets, transportation and health check-ups.

ALSO READ:  Centre extends cut-off date for enrolment under PMFBY to July 31 in Maharashtra

–IANS

jayanta/dan

Continue Reading

National

Budget to create opportunities, unlock multipliers for economy: BSE MD and CEO

Published

on

By

Budget to create opportunities, unlock multipliers for economy: BSE MD and CEO

Budget to create opportunities, unlock multipliers for economy: BSE MD and CEO

New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) Sundararaman Ramamurthy, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) lauded the Union Budget and its nine priorities for thrust on the middle-class and inclusiveness of all segments including poor, youth, women and farmers – the four pillars of ‘Viksit Bharat’, as often underlined in PM Modi’s speeches.

The MD and CEO of the country’s leading stock exchange said that he finds the Budget “forward-looking, equitable, middle class-oriented, all-inclusive budget covering poor, women, youth, and farmers.”

In a video message, Sundararaman Ramamurthy said, “The Finance Minister’s seventh straight budget has its objective ‘Viksit Bharat’. With clear emphasis on nine priorities, it lays down the road map for infrastructure development, startups, SMEs, job creation and skill development, innovation.”

The BSE MD and CEO expressed confidence that the government’s focus on jobs creation across various segments will set new benchmarks and also have multiplier impact on the economy.

ALSO READ:  Despite BJP’s all-out efforts, Praniti will never join BJP: Sushilkumar Shinde

“This will usher in new opportunities, uplift demand, and unlock multipliers for the economy, including long-term capital formation with fiscal products,” he said.

The nine priority areas that were spotlighted in Finance Minister Sitharaman’s Budget included – productivity and resilience in agriculture, employment and skilling, improved human resources, social justice, manufacturing and services, urban development, energy security, infrastructure, innovation, research and development, and next-gen reforms.

–IANS

mr/rad

Continue Reading

National

Ashok Gehlot slams Union budget for ignoring Rajasthan’s needs

Published

on

By

Ashok Gehlot slams Union budget for ignoring Rajasthan’s needs

Ashok Gehlot slams Union budget for ignoring Rajasthan’s needs

Jaipur, July 23 (IANS) Former chief minister of Rajasthan, Ashok Gehlot, expressed disappointment with the Union budget presented by finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Tuesday. Gehlot posted on social media platform X, calling the budget directionless.

Ashok Gehlot posted, “The budget presented by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has brought only disappointment to Rajasthan. It seems that the central government, for political reasons, has allocated the entire budget to Andhra Pradesh and Bihar.

“Geographically and socially, our Rajasthan needed a special package, but Rajasthan wasn’t even mentioned in the entire budget speech. During the last assembly elections, the Prime Minister’s speeches never ended without the misleading claims of double development from the so-called double-engine government.

“We had hoped that the central government would grant national project status to Eastern Rajasthan Canal Project (ERCP) and allocate special funds for it in this budget, but the central government did not say anything regarding ERCP. They just neglected Rajasthan.

ALSO READ:  Gujarat unveils plans for 3 new airports to boost connectivity

“Earlier the BJP government promised 2 crore jobs annually, but now the budget announces 1 crore internships in 5 years with a monthly stipend of 5,000 rupees.

“There are no measures in this budget to control inflation. Neither was any tax reduced on petrol and diesel, nor was LPG made cheaper. Our government in Rajasthan has provided gas cylinders for 500 rupees. If the state of Rajasthan can do this, why can’t the central government?

“After listening to the entire budget speech, the public is disappointed. Such a directionless budget is unlikely to succeed in getting the country’s economy back on track.”

–IANS

psd/bg

Continue Reading

National

Kerala's ruling Left, opposition Congress slam Union Budget

Published

on

By

Kerala's ruling Left, opposition Congress slam Union Budget

Kerala's ruling Left, opposition Congress slam Union Budget

Thiruvananthapuram, July 23 (IANS) Kerala’s ruling Left and opposition Congress slammed the Budget 2024-25 presented by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Tuesday for ignoring the state, but the state BJP said that it will spur development.

State Finance Minister K.N.Balagopal said this is the most disappointing Union budget in the recent past.

“Kerala has been totally sidelined in this budget and it’s really disappointing as there is not even a mention at all. We had submitted a package where our needs were clearly spelt out but there has been nothing,” he said.

Leader of Opposition V.D. Satheesan, of the Congress, said this budget clearly shows it’s more political than financial.

“This budget is more a political document as for obvious reasons, this is a budget for Andhra Pradesh and Bihar. The Union FM appears to have totally forgotten a state like Kerala. A lot of noise was created during the Lok Sabha poll campaign, that if a BJP candidate wins, then Kerala will stand to benefit hugely and see what has happened now. Just have a look, non-BJP ruled states have been ignored and this outlook is totally wrong,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Heatwave to prevail in Jammu, pleasant weather likely in Kashmir

State Revenue Minister and veteran CPI leader K. Rajan said despite the presence of two Ministers from Kerala in the Centre, the budget has been a total washout for Kerala.

“Suresh Gopi is MoS Tourism and just see, is there anything for Kerala, a hugely important tourist attraction in the country? Kerala has been totally ignored and there has to be a protest in the way our state has been looked into by the Centre,” he said.

But, state BJP chief K. Surendran defended the budget, termed it as a visionary one which will spur development. “This budget will be a huge impetus for the youth as a record 4.1 crore new jobs will be created and a month’s salary will be credited to all new employees. The increase in Mudra loans is going to benefit entrepreneurs. It’s unfortunate that State Finance Minister Balagopal is reacting without knowing facts as in the budget, there will be no mention of AIIMS, but Kerala will get an AIIMS for sure,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Non-locals' killing in Srinagar: Search on for accused's cellphone, more evidence

–IANS

sg/vd

Continue Reading

Trending