Connect with us

International

Raging wildfire forces residents to evacuate in Cyprus

Published

on

Nicosia, June 12 (IANS) A total of three villages have been evacuated as wildfires raged out of control engulfing homes and animals, in Cyprus’ Paphos district, local media reported.

Psathi was the first village to be evacuated before Choulou and Lemona were evacuated later on Tuesday, Xinhua news agency reported.

Fire brigade spokesman Andreas Kettis said on Tuesday that the government’s Pyrsos plan has been activated, with a ministerial team convening at the Joint Rescue and Coordination Centre to coordinate the firefighting efforts.

Ground forces and aerial vehicles are currently deployed at the scene, he noted.

Efforts are also being made by the government to secure support from Jordan, Israel, Greece and the European Union, he added.

The fire brigade has said the fire started in an area of dry grass and low vegetation, though its exact cause is yet to be determined.

–IANS

int/khz

ALSO READ:  UN urges Lebanon, Israel to stop border escalation
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Russia could mirror Western actions, arm North Korea: Putin

Published

on

By

Hanoi, June 20 (IANS) In a clear warning to the West, Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday indicated his nation could supply long-range precision weapons to North Kora and other countries, on the same pattern that the US and other countries are arming Ukraine.

”We do not rule out supplying weapons to other countries, including the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. Let the West think where they might end up,” the Russian President, who is in Vietnam on the second leg of his Asian tour after visiting North Korea, told media persons after meetings with the Vietnamese leadership, RT reported.

He was responding to this previous statement on sending missiles to adversaries of the West, in response to the US and its allies allowing Ukraine to use their supplied weapons to strike deep inside Russia.

Noting that the Western countries that have supplied long-range and other weapons to Ukraine have said they can’t be held responsible for how Kiev uses them, and insist that it does not make them parties to the conflict, Putin said that Russia, therefore, reserves the same right for itself.

ALSO READ:  Macron to visit troubled New Caledonia

He also said that Moscow is considering modifications to its doctrine on the use of atomic weapons, as the West appears to be working on low-yield weapons to lower the nuclear threshold.

Asked about the peace terms he offered Ukraine last week, Putin said that Russia has always been willing to negotiate, while Kiev and its Western backers sabotaged both the Minsk process and the Istanbul talks. The Russian President, who had cited conditions for peace talks, including Ukraine removing its troops from Donbass and two other regions, and assuring it would not join NATO, underlined that the terms he outlined will not be valid forever.

“Our terms will change depending on the situation on the ground,” he said.

Putin arrived in Hanoi on Wednesday evening from Pyongyang, where he signed a strategic partnership treaty with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. His trip to Vietnam is aimed at strengthening bilateral ties with Hanoi, including trade and nuclear energy cooperation.

ALSO READ:  UN urges Lebanon, Israel to stop border escalation

–IANS

vd

Continue Reading

International

In rare move, US diverts missiles ordered by other countries to Ukraine

Published

on

By

Yashwant Raj Washington, June 20 (IANS) The US on Thursday announced, that in an “extraordinary” step, it was reprioritising “hundreds” of air defence missiles ordered by other countries and sending them instead to Ukraine for its defence from Russia.

These interceptor missiles are meant for American-supplied Patriot and NASAMS air defence systems.

The White House said missiles ordered by other countries will be delivered but will be delayed by at least 16 months. It refused to disclose the number of countries whose orders will be affected but said Taiwan was not among them.

Announcing the extraordinary measure, John Kirby, the spokesperson for the US National Security Council, said that the broader message for Russia was that “if you think you’re going to be able to outlast Ukraine, and if you think you’re gonna be able to outlast those of us who are supporting Ukraine, you’re just flat out wrong. And we’re going to make sure that we give you print the critical air defence capabilities they need now and into the future”.

ALSO READ:  UN Security Council mourns death of Iranian President Raisi

Asked about the number of these reprioritized missiles, he said they were “in the realm of the hundreds”.

Kirby went on to say the countries whose orders would be delayed had been informed and that they understood why the US was doing it.

“We have of course informed all the affected countries that we are taking this extraordinary step and we’re making every effort to minimize any negative impact to countries with affected foreign military sales cases. If any of our other partners were ever in a situation similar to Ukraine’s we would go to extraordinary lengths to support their security as well.”

These missiles will begin reaching Ukraine before the end of summer and the supplies will continue over the next 16 months, shoring up the country to defend its cities and populations from Russian missiles.

US President Joe Biden has committed his administration to defend Ukraine for as long as it takes and has sent billions of dollars worth of defence equipment by itself and with allies in Europe and Asia.

ALSO READ:  Four missing after rain triggered mountain torrents, landslides in China

–IANS

yrj/vd

Continue Reading

International

Israeli army says they killed a Hezbollah commander in south Lebanon

Published

on

By

Beirut/Tel Aviv, June 20 (IANS/DPA) The Israeli army said on Thursday that they killed another pro-Iranian Hezbollah commander in southern Lebanon.

It said that “terrorist Fadel Ibrahim” was eliminated by an Israeli aircraft in a precise strike in the area of Deir Kifa in southern Lebanon.

The army said: “Ibrahim was the commander of Hezbollah operations in the Jouaiyya area, as part of his role, Ibrahim was responsible for planning and carrying out terror attacks against Israel and commanding Hezbollah ground forces in the area of Jouaiyya.”

Hezbollah confirmed his death and said that in response to the attack in Deir Kifa, the Shiite militia reportedly fired dozens of rockets at targets in northern Israel.

The Lebanese news agency NNA had previously reported that one person was killed in a drone strike on a car in the affected area.

There were also Israeli attacks on other places in southern Lebanon like Khiyam and Iqlim al-Tuffah region.

ALSO READ:  South Korea junior doctors' walkout enters fifth day; health services affected

The Israeli military also said it had destroyed a rocket launcher on Lebanese soil.

There are concerns that the conflict between the Israeli military and the Hezbollah militia will continue to expand.

–IANS/DPA

int/as/arm

Continue Reading

International

Over 3300-year-old cargo ship uncovered off Israel's coast

Published

on

By

Jerusalem, June 20 (IANS) An over 3,300-year-old ship’s cargo of hundreds of intact Canaanite storage amphorae was revealed at the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, 90 km off Israel’s coast, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) and the London-based gas and oil company Energean said in a joint statement on Thursday.

The IAA said that under the cargo, found 1.8 km deep in the sea, is probably the skeleton of a 12-14 meter-long ship, as yet unexcavated, the oldest found in the world in the deep seas.

Last year, the ship was discovered by an underwater robot during a survey by Energean, which operates in the Israeli gas fields in the eastern Mediterranean, Xinhua News Agency reported.

Energean and the IAA recently conducted a complex operation to extract two sample amphorae from opposite ends of the ship to minimize disturbance to the intact assemblage of the ship and its cargo.

The IAA noted that the ship likely sank due to a storm or an attempted piracy attack, which were common events in the late Bronze Age.

ALSO READ:  Mexican Foreign Minister urges US to regularise migrants' legal status

Examination revealed that the amphora type found in the cargo was designed for efficiently transporting relatively cheap, mass-produced products such as oil, wine, and other agricultural goods like fruit.

The large quantity of amphorae on board indicates significant commercial ties between their country of origin and the ancient Near Eastern lands on the Mediterranean coast, the IAA said.

It added that this period saw a rise in international commerce, with organised commercial networks, tax collection, and trade supervision.

Advancements in ship manufacturing allowed for greater cargo volumes, boosting the status of port cities in the eastern Mediterranean, with goods transported in amphorae to the Aegean Sea, Crete, and Mycenaean Greece.

–IANS/DPA

int/as/arm

Continue Reading

International

German minister says deal soon for deporting Afghans, Syrians

Published

on

By

Potsdam (Germany), June 20 (IANS/DPA) German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser has expressed confidence that the country will soon find ways to deport immigrants convicted of serious crimes or deemed Islamist threats to Afghanistan and Syria.

“We are in concrete negotiations on this and are confident that we will be able to achieve this for this group,” Faeser said on Thursday at a meeting with the state interior ministers from Germany’s 16 federal states just outside Berlin.

There are only a small number of such people, Faeser stressed. She said the German government is examining the extent to which repatriation via neighbouring countries would be possible in the case of Afghan nationals, citing Uzbekistan as a country that had been previously discussed.

However, Faeser did not want to publicly name any countries with which talks are ongoing out of fears of “jeopardizing the concrete negotiations we are currently conducting.”

Germany halted deportations to Afghanistan after the Taliban, a radical Islamist group, seized power over the country in August 2021.

ALSO READ:  South Korea junior doctors' walkout enters fifth day; health services affected

But resuming deportations to Afghanistan and war-torn Syria has been a hot-button issue in Germany, particularly in the wake of the slaying of a policeman by a knife-wielding Afghan migrant during an attack in the German city of Mannheim in May.

–IANS/DPA

int/as/arm

Continue Reading

Trending