Connect with us

Sports

T20 World Cup: Warner's international career comes to an end after Australia's exit

Published

on

T20 World Cup: Warner's international career comes to an end after Australia's exit

Kingstown, June 25 (IANS) David Warner’s storied 15-year international cricket career came to a quiet close as Australia’s elimination from the T20 World Cup was confirmed following Afghanistan’s victory over Bangladesh in St Vincent.

This marked an understated end for the Australian cricket legend, who had already signaled that this World Cup would be his swan song.

Despite hinting at a potential return for next year’s Champions Trophy, it appears unlikely, Warner ended his international career in stages, playing his last ODI during Australia’s triumphant 2023 campaign in India, his final Test against Pakistan in early 2024 and was set to finish altogether after the 2024 T20 World Cup.

His breathtaking 89 from 43 balls on his T20I debut against South Africa told the world of his talent. In 110 matches he scored 3277 runs including a century against Pakistan in 2019–third Aussie to score centuries in all three formats of the game, and 28 half-centuries.

ALSO READ:  Uganda appoints ex-Delhi cricketer Abhay Sharma as head coach of men's team 

Away from international cricket, he has had a prolific franchise T20 career, especially in the IPL, and in 2021 became just the fourth batter to pass 10,000 runs in T20.

Warner’s final appearance, in a match against India, was less than ideal. He managed to score only six runs off six balls before being caught at slip by Suryakumar Yadav off Arshdeep Singh.

Frustrated, Warner walked off the pitch without any fanfare or acknowledgment from the crowd, unaware if this was his last match. Post-game, he was seen conversing with Virat Kohli on the outfield.

–IANS

hs/bc

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Newcastle sign Serbian teenage defender Miodrag Pivas

Published

on

By

Newcastle sign Serbian teenage defender Miodrag Pivas

Newcastle sign Serbian teenage defender Miodrag Pivas

Newcastle, July 20 (IANS) English football club Newcastle United have signed Serbian defender Miodrag Pivas from FK Jedinstvo Ub on Saturday ahead of the upcoming Premier League season. The 19-year-old, who has represented Serbia at under-17 level, also featured in a defensive midfield position last season as Jedinstvo finished as runners-up in the second tier to clinch promotion to the Serbian Super Liga.

Born in Novi Sad, north-west of Serbian capital Belgrade, Pivas began his career with Austrian regional sides UFC Siezenheim and SV Grodig before returning to his native country with Jedinstvo in 2023.

“It’s absolutely unbelievable to join such a big club like Newcastle United and I cannot wait to get started. I see the project of the club and it looks great which helped convince me to sign for Newcastle,” Pivas said in a statement.

“I see the young players have developed very well here and I would like to do the same – to develop and get into Newcastle’s first team. I’m very excited and I can’t wait to begin,” he added.

ALSO READ:  Alcaraz makes winning clay return, reaches Argentina Open quarterfinal

Darren Eales, CEO at Newcastle United, said: “Miodrag is a promising talent with high potential. Our recruitment network is continuing to watch young players like Miodrag around the world with a view to identifying and developing them into first-team players of the future.

“We are pleased to welcome him to Newcastle United and we look forward to supporting his development at this important stage of his career,” he added.

–IANS

ab/bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Believed about putting in some very good performances in a short space of time, says Bas de Leede

Published

on

By

Believed about putting in some very good performances in a short space of time, says Bas de Leede

Believed about putting in some very good performances in a short space of time, says Bas de Leede

New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) After playing a part in the Netherlands winning the ICC Associate Member Men’s Performance of the Year award in the ICC Development Awards, Netherlands’ all-rounder Bas de Leede said the team had belief in itself about putting in some very good performance in a short period of time.

The Netherlands qualified for the 2023 Men’s ODI World Cup in India by finishing runners-up in the qualifying tournament in Zimbabwe. De Leede was one of their standout performers during the Qualifier in Zimbabwe, making 92-ball 123 after picking 5-52, as the Netherlands beat Scotland and overhaul their opponents’ net run-rate to clinch a place in India.

Before that, the Netherlands had beaten two-time ODI World Cup champions West Indies in the game of the tournament, with Logan van Beek hitting a record 30 runs in a Super Over. Later, in the main tournament, the Netherlands showed a good fight in India to beat South Africa and Bangladesh in the league stage.

ALSO READ:  'Leave what has happened, learn from mistakes, come back stronger: Sindhu's mantra for Paris Olympics

“We knew what was needed going into it and the belief in the group was that we were capable of putting in some very good performances in a short space of time. There were some doubts maybe, but mostly belief was the big thing. We were trying to tell ourselves in the group that it was possible and then we were planning how we were going to do it.”

“That West Indies game is No.1. It was 375 to chase and not to get a single off the last ball but win off the Super Over like that, what Logan did that day was very special. After a game like that against the West Indies, it would be nice to be qualified already, but that wasn’t the case.”

“It was the same against Scotland, we knew what was needed. The net run-rate, batting second was handy. To put in a performance again, when it mattered, was special for us as a team. For myself, it was one of the better days on a cricket field,” said de Leede to ICC.

ALSO READ:  Euro 2024: Spain dominate Croatia for 3-0 win in opening match

He went on to explain how important it was for the team to perform against full members in the 2023 Men’s ODI World Cup. “It was amazing to be at the World Cup. As associate nations, I think we represent each other on the big stage. To do that for the other associate nations was pretty cool.”

“We’ve always had a belief that we were good enough so to actually be there was a special moment. It was six or seven weeks of cricket against the best nations in the world and it is something that will probably only happen once in my life so I was very grateful for that opportunity.”

–IANS

nr/bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Marquez named head coach of India men's team; Anilkumar appointed AIFF Secretary General

Published

on

By

Marquez named head coach of India men's team; Anilkumar appointed AIFF Secretary General

Marquez named head coach of India men's team; Anilkumar appointed AIFF Secretary General

New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) The All India Football Federation has named Manolo Marquez, the Spanish coach of ISL side FC Goa, as the new head coach of the Indian senior men’s team effective immediately, giving him the dual responsibility of managing the club and the national team for the 2024-25 season.

The decision to name Marquez as successor of Igor Stimac, who was not retained following the team’s failure to qualify for the third round of FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers, was taken during the AIFF’s Executive Committee meeting, chaired by President Kalyan Chaubey, which was held at the Football House here on Saturday.

During the 2024-25 season, Marquez will continue his role as the head coach of the first team at FC Goa, handling both responsibilities concurrently before assuming the national coaching role on a full-time basis.

“It’s an honour for me to be the National Football Team coach of India, a country I consider my second home. India and its people are something I feel attached to and I feel a part of since I first came to this beautiful country. I want to do my best to bring success to the millions of fans we have,” Marquez was quoted as saying by the AIFF in a release on Saturday.

ALSO READ:  T20 World Cup: Rohit is cool, can’t take Proteas lightly, says ex-India cricketer Surinder Khanna

“I am very grateful to FC Goa for allowing us the flexibility to help the national team during the coming season while I am still the club’s head coach. I’m grateful to the AIFF for this opportunity and we hope to do great things for football,” Marquez told the AIFF media team.

Commenting on the development, AIFF President Kalyan Chaubey stated, “We are delighted to welcome Marquez to this important role and are also thankful to FC Goa for their generosity of releasing him for national duty. We look forward to working with Marquez in the years ahead. The AIFF, FC Goa, and Marquez will collaborate closely to ensure there is minimal impact between the two jobs and strive to achieve the best possible results for all involved.”

Aged 55, Manolo Marquez, from Barcelona, has extensive knowledge and experience of Indian football and coaching national team players, especially youngsters. Many national team players in the last few years were called up from his Hyderabad FC team.

ALSO READ:  Paris Olympics: Named Chef de Mission, Mary Kom thanks Usha, SAI, Ministry for "huge honour'

Marquez has been coaching in India since 2020. He has coached two ISL clubs – his first stint was with Hyderabad FC (2020-23) before he switched over to FC Goa (2023-present). He is an ISL Cup winner with Hyderabad FC in 2021-22. Overall, Marquez had an extensive coaching career in Spain – Las Palmas (top division) and Las Palmas B, Espanyol B, Badalona, Prat, Europa (third division).

In other developments, based on the recommendation of the AIFF President Chaubey, the Executive Committee resolved on Saturday to appoint Anilkumar Prabhakaran as the Secretary General of the federation.

The Executive Committee has also accepted the resignation of Anilkumar from the AIFF Executive Committee and all other sub-committees he was a part of. Anilkumar’s appointment shall be subject to the internal protocols and induction procedures as required by the AIFF Constitution and he shall take charge upon the completion of the same.

The meeting was attended by AIFF Vice President N.A. Haris, Treasurer Kipa Ajay, and members Thongam Tababi Devi, Valanka Natasha Alemao, Pinky Bompal Magar, Menla Ethenpa, Vijay Bali, Syed Husnain Ali Naqvi, Neibou Sekhose, Maloji Raje Chhatrapati, Mohan Lal, Syed Imtiaz Husain, Arif Ali, Bhaichung Bhutia, Shabbir Ali, Climax Lawrence, and Acting Secretary General Mr. M. Satyanarayan. Executive Committee members Lalnghinglova Hmar and I.M. Vijayan attended the meeting via video conferencing.

ALSO READ:  Mairaj wins the first-ever skeet gold at the shooting World Cup

Ajit Banerjee President, Indian Football Association (West Bengal), Caitano Fernandes, President, Goa Football Association, Mulrajsinh Chudasama, Secretary, Gujarat State Football Association, Anuj Gupta, President, Football Delhi, and Rochak Langer, COO, FSDL were present as special invitees.

–IANS

aaa/

Continue Reading

Sports

Maharaja Trophy KSCA T20: Mayank, Devdutt, Karun among retained players ahead of auction

Published

on

By

Maharaja Trophy KSCA T20: Mayank, Devdutt, Karun among retained players ahead of auction

Maharaja Trophy KSCA T20: Mayank, Devdutt, Karun among retained players ahead of auction

Bengaluru, July 20 (IANS) Senior players Mayank Agarwal, Devdutt Padikkal, Manish Pandey, Karun Nair, Abhinav Manohar, and Vyshak Vijaykumar were among the stars retained by the franchises for the Maharaja Trophy KSCA T20 Season 3 ahead of the auction, scheduled later this month.

The tournament, scheduled for August 15 to September 1 at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru, will see defending champions Hubli Tigers, runners-up Mysore Warriors, Gulbarga Mystics, Bengaluru Blasters, Mangaluru Dragons, and Shivamogga Lions vying for the title.

Each franchise exercised their right to retain four players from their previous season’s squad, ahead of the player auction which is scheduled for July 25.

Hubli Tigers retained the services of skipper Manish Pandey, who returns from a championship season with the Kolkata Knight Riders, wicketkeeper Shrijith KL and the young all-rounder, Manvanth Kumar.

Ace medium pacer, Vidwath Kaverappa will also return to lead the Hubli Tigers’ bowling attack. Notably, Manish Pandey and Shrijith KL were amongst the top five run-scorers in the previous season while Manvanth Kumar was the leading wicket-taker.

ALSO READ:  Paris Olympics: Named Chef de Mission, Mary Kom thanks Usha, SAI, Ministry for "huge honour'

Last year’s runners-up, Mysore Warriors prioritised a strong top order with the retention of last season’s top scorer and captain Karun Nair, the explosive CA Karthik, and the prodigious S.U Karthik. The hard-hitting all-rounder Manoj Bhandage will also feature for the Mysore Warriors yet again.

While the southpaw Devdutt Paddikal was forced to miss Gulbarga Mystics’ previous campaign due to an injury, he returns to strengthen the Mystics batting unit this season. The Royal Challengers Bengaluru pacer Vyshak Vijaykumar has also been retained along with batters Smaran Ravi and Aneesh KV.

The Shivamogga Lions retained Abhinav Manohar who was also the most expensive player in last year‘s auction with a price tag of 15 lakh. Furthermore, Nihal Ullal and Shivraj also return to provide the Lions with a formidable batting lineup. The experienced medium pacer Vasuki Koushik has also been retained by the Shivamogga Lions.

The Mangaluru Dragons will see the return of top-order batter, Nikin Jose, who missed out on a majority of the previous season due to NCA commitments. Rohan Patil, Siddharth KV and Paras Gurbax Arya complete their list of retentions.

ALSO READ:  Alcaraz makes winning clay return, reaches Argentina Open quarterfinal

While the Bengaluru Blasters had a lukewarm season last year, their retentions include the experienced opener, Mayank Agarwal, Suraj Ahuja, all-rounder Shubhang Hegde and Mohsin Khan.

B.K. Sampath Kumar, Commissioner of the Maharaja Trophy and vice-president of KSCA, expressed his enthusiasm for the upcoming season, he said, “We are eagerly anticipating another exciting season of the Maharaja Trophy. Player retention is a significant part of our franchise model, introduced last year. This continuity allows each team to build a strong culture and identity while retaining some of their key players.”

The tournament will be broadcast on Star Sports 2, StarSports Kannada and streamed on FanCode.

–IANS

ab/bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Paris Olympics: India's archery coach to return home over denial of accreditation

Published

on

By

Paris Olympics: India's archery coach to return home over denial of accreditation

Paris Olympics: India's archery coach to return home over denial of accreditation

New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) India’s archery squad will be in the spotlight at the Paris Olympics as it aims to bring the country’s maiden medal in the sport at the Games. However, according to reports, the preparations have hit a roadblock as the squad’s Korean chief coach Baek Woong Ki has been denied accreditation to the tournament which means he will return to India with his flight being booked for Saturday evening.

“I have been preparing with the goal of helping India win a medal for the first time at the Paris Olympics. However, I believe that appointing a foreign coach but excluding (me) from the Olympic Games archery team is a big mistake by the IOA and a decision that does not follow the original plan and goals,” he was qu.

The Archery coach is highly regarded worldwide and was the head coach of the South Korean contingent that won a gold medal at the event in the 2012 London Olympics. Upon the latest events, Woong Ki is said to be highly upset with him even stating “I do not want to continue anymore. I just want to go back to South Korea.”

ALSO READ:  World Cup qualifiers: With eyes on Sunil Chhetri, India gear up for key clash with Kuwait (Preview)

“Paris Olympics is India’s best chance to win a medal in archery. It is very unfortunate that I cannot be with the team right now. I can only send messages to the team and I have told them what they should be doing during the tournament. I hope the Indian archers win a medal at the Olympics. We have been training hard to win a medal but at a very important stage (the Olympics), I am not appointed coach,” added Woong Ki.

–IANS

aaa/bsk/

Continue Reading

Trending