Connect with us

Sports

T20 World Cup: When we control the powerplay, we come out on top, says Chase

Published

on

T20 World Cup: When we control the powerplay, we come out on top, says Chase

Bridgetown (Antigua), June 22 (IANS) West Indies spinner Roston Chase credited his side for the better execution in the powerplay overs against the USA after a thumping nine-wicket win in the T20 World Cup Super Eight match.

West Indies won the toss and opted to bowl first. Chase and Andre Russell bagged three wickets each while Alzarri Joseph claimed two dismissals to bundle out the USA for 128 in 19.5 overs. Chase was awarded Player of the Match for his 3-19 figures in four overs.

In reply, Shai Hope hammered unbeaten 82* off 39 balls including eight sixes and four fours to take the side over the line in just 10.5 overs. Chase asserted that their powerplay dominance in batting set the foundation for the big win at Kensington Oval.

“I just think that most of the times when we control the power play, whether batting or bowling, that’s when we come out on top. In the last game when we lost to England, we struggled in that period after the power play. We spoke about that, and the guys came out and executed it well today,” Chase said.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Bowlers have been coming into their own in last three weeks: Brett Lee

“I mean, it was only probably four overs outside of the power play, we finished it kind of quick. But I think that that’s the main focus because we know in the end we have the power at the end.

“So, it’s just for us to control that power play with the batting and our bowling, and then for us in the batting to keep the momentum going to that seven to 15 period where we fell down horribly against England,” he added.

After the win against the USA, the Windies have supported their chances of sealing a semi-final berth and will take on South Africa in their final Super Eight match on Monday.

In the last three-match T20I series against the Proteas in May, the Caribbean team clean swept the contest 3-0. However, Chase remains cautious ahead of the encounter and stressed on the present situation as South Africa are unbeaten in the tournament.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: GT v SRH overall head-to-head; When and where to watch

“Obviously, there would have been two different teams, us, and South Africa, have different players in the World Cup. But this is a different series now. This is the big World Cup.”

“And obviously, they have stronger players in their setup as well. They haven’t lost a match as yet in the World Cup. They will be high on confidence. But it’s just for us to go there, put that series behind us, put every game that we’ve played so far behind us, and just focus on that one to come,” said the spinner.

Chase said they will not leave any stone unturned to put up a strong fight against them to seal semis spot.

“We’re going to be coming hard. So, we’ll collide, and whoever’s the strongest, I think, will win. So, it’s just for us, as I say, to just go there and give it your all. As I say, it’s a win-win situation,” Chase said.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: KKR outplay SRH to win final by eight wickets, clinch third title

“You can’t lose, so it doesn’t make any sense going up there and fooling around. I mean, put the focus. Find a way to just put that focus in whatever you have to do, whether it be batting, bowling, fielding. Just go there and zone in. And obviously, too, the main thing is to enjoy,” he added.

–IANS

ab/

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Olympic Football: Fans invade pitch, goal disallowed as Morocco 'win' against Argentina two hours after scheduled end (Ld)

Published

on

By

Olympic Football: Fans invade pitch, goal disallowed as Morocco 'win' against Argentina two hours after scheduled end (Ld)

Olympic Football: Fans invade pitch, goal disallowed as Morocco 'win' against Argentina two hours after scheduled end (Ld)

Paris, July 24 (IANS) “It’s the biggest circus I’ve ever seen in my life,” said Argentina team manager Javier Mascherano as his team’s opening match against Morocco in the Olympic Games football competition caused a massive controversy in Paris on Wednesday. The Games witnessed unprecedented controversy and a major scandal after Argentina’s match was suspended due to hooliganism by Morocco fans in the final minutes of the match, their equaliser disallowed, and teams forced to play the final few minutes two hours after scheduled close of the match.

The match was halted at 2-2 when several Moroccan fans invaded the pitch and scared the Argentina players with crackers soon after the South Americans scored the equaliser. There was high drama as Argentina’s 90+16th minute equaliser was eventually ruled out due to offside after a VAR check which took place two hours after it was scored.

The score remained 2-1 in favour of Morocco in the remaining time and the African side was eventually declared the winner while the Argentines walked off the ground for a second time, furious over the way the final minutes of the game were handled.

ALSO READ:  Airbnb sees 30% surge in bookings from Indian guests for Paris Olympics

Morocco, led by PSG star Achraf Hakimi, started the game on a strong note and soon took a 2-0 lead. However, Argentina fought back into the game in the second half and twice, the equaliser coming in 90+16 minutes to make it 2-2.

The Moroccan fans, absolutely fuming at the equaliser after a host of decisions allegedly went against their team including Argentine players not getting a red card. The fans invaded the pitch in anger and threw firecrackers on the ground, which scared the Argentinian players as they rushed back to the dressing room.

Moroccan fans thought their team was robbed of victory and poured into the field, breaching security, resulting in suspension of play. Eventually, the field of play was cleared of the invaders, the two teams returned to the middle and the referee consulted VAR, eventually ruling out the goal.

The match eventually ended in controversy as the Argentina players were not happy with the way it all ended.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: KKR outplay SRH to win final by eight wickets, clinch third title

Also, this incident raised questions over the security of Athletes at the Summer Games in Paris Olympics, a day ahead of the Opening Ceremony, and left the organizing committee red-faced with embarrassment.

Argentina defender Nicolás Otamendi was really disappointed with the way the two teams were forced to play the match following a written statement from the organsiers.

“It’s a historic piece of paper. This never happened. Morocco didn’t want to play it and neither did we. We waited for an hour and forty but no one told us anything. It makes you powerless because it’s the Olympics,” he said.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Paris Olympics: When and Where to watch Indian squad in Archery events?

Published

on

By

Paris Olympics: When and Where to watch Indian squad in Archery events?

Paris Olympics: When and Where to watch Indian squad in Archery events?

Paris, July 24 (IANS) A day before the Opening Ceremony of the 2024 Paris Olympics, India’s archery squad will get into action with the preliminary rounds scheduled to begin on Thursday at Invalides. The archers will be the first to start India’s campaign in Paris.

India’s hunt for their first-ever Archery medal at the Olympics will begin with the Women’s Individual and team events while the men’s individual, men’s team and mixed team events are scheduled to take place later in the day.

Former World No.1 Deepika Kumari and Tarundeep Rai will be leading the young squad in what will be the duo’s fourth Olympics appearance. Dhiraj Bommadevara, Bhajan Kaur and Ankita Bhakat will all be making their Games debut.

The 2024 Paris Olympics are the first edition since London 2012 when India will field a full-strength squad in Olympic archery competitions.

The squad will be hoping to look past the controversy that saw their coach Baek Woong-Ki return to India over the denial of accreditation and hope to make a solid mark at the Games.

ALSO READ:  RCA elections to be held in Jaipur on April 8

On Thursday, the archers will hope to achieve good rankings so that they can get comparatively easier opponents in the preliminary rounds.

Indian archery squad:

Men: Tarundeep Rai, Dhiraj Bommadevara and Pravin Jadhav

Women: Deepika Kumari, Bhajan Kaur and Ankita Bhakat

Where to watch:

What: Olympics Archery event

When: Thursday, July 25

Where: Esplanade des Invalides, Paris

Time:

Women’s Individual: 1 pm IST

Women’s Team: 1 pm IST

Men’s Individual: 5:45 pm IST

Mixed Team: 5:45 pm IST

Men’s Team: 5:45 pm IST

Broadcasting: Sports 18

Livestream: Jio Cinema app and website

–IANS

aaa/bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Foot injury interrupts Ansu Fati's attempts to convince Barcelona

Published

on

By

Foot injury interrupts Ansu Fati's attempts to convince Barcelona

Foot injury interrupts Ansu Fati's attempts to convince Barcelona

Madrid (Spain), July 24 (IANS) FC Barcelona forward Ansu Fati’s injury nightmares continue with the confirmation that he has suffered from a foot injury that will keep him out of his side’s pre-season tour of North America. “Ansu Fati has an injury to his right foot and will undergo conservative treatment in Barcelona,” explained the Barcelona website without specifying a return date.

It is bad luck for the 21-year-old who spent last season on loan at Brighton in an attempt to prove his fitness, after a series of knee operations and muscle problems, but missed around half of the season through injury, reports Xinhua.

Fati will carry out specific training routines in an attempt to build his fitness, and will now miss the chance to convince coach Hansi Flick as he missed matches against Manchester City, AC Milan and Real Madrid.

Days after Brighton and Hove Albion released Fati to return to FC Barcelona after the end of his loan period, the young winger expressed hope that he would gain a permanent position at the Spanish giant.

ALSO READ:  Vooty Masters 2024: Shaurya Binu maintains lead with second straight 66

Fati, who broke onto the scene at a young age and was hailed as Messi’s successor at the club, had a difficult time at Brighton, which could not be considered successful. He scored only two goals in 18 games in the league and failed to make any significant impact in a struggling Brighton side that finished 11th in the table, a huge disappointment after the club finished sixth in the 2022/23 season.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Jr Women, Men West Zone Hockey: Maharashtra, Rajasthan, M.P, Chhattisgarh win on Day 4

Published

on

By

Jr Women, Men West Zone Hockey: Maharashtra, Rajasthan, M.P, Chhattisgarh win on Day 4

Jr Women, Men West Zone Hockey: Maharashtra, Rajasthan, M.P, Chhattisgarh win on Day 4

Rajnandgaon (Chhattisgarh), July 24 (IANS) Maharashtra and Rajasthan secured high-scoring wins in the women’s section while in the men’s category, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Chhattisgarh scored victories in their respective matches on Day 4 of the 2nd Hockey India Junior Women and Men West Zone Championship 2024 here on Wednesday.

In the first women’s encounter of the day, Hockey Maharashtra defeated Dadra Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu Hockey 13-0.

Khushi shone with seven goals (1’, 26’, 27’, 32’, 38’, 50’, 59’), while Tanushree Dinesh Kadu added a hat-trick (12’, 43’, 56’), and captain Sanika Chandrakant Mane contributed with a brace (3’, 49’). Sanjana Khetawat also scored for Maharashtra (39’).

In another women’s fixture, Rajasthan defeated Goans Hockey 4-1. Laxmi’s hat-trick (18’, 26’, 37’) was pivotal for Rajasthan, alongside a goal from Gayatri Mahavar (12’). Prachi Parshuram Yadav (27’) scored the lone goal for Goans Hockey.

In the first men’s fixture of the day, Rajasthan defeated Goans Hockey 4-2. Shahjafar Ansari (3’) initially gave Goans Hockey the lead, but Rajasthan responded with goals from Ravinder Singh Rajvi (15’, 19’, 53’) and Gurjar Manvendra (45’). Kiran Suresh Lamani (42’) added a goal for Goans Hockey.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Bowlers have been coming into their own in last three weeks: Brett Lee

In another men’s encounter, Madhya Pradesh beat Maharashtra 7-4. Ritendra Pratap Singh (19’, 46’) scored twice, with contributions from Almaaz Khan (8’), Mohd Anas (35’), Sohil Ali (13’), Viveka Pal (21’), and Subhan Abid (53’). Maharashtra’s goals came from Arjun Santosh Hargude (28’, 54’), Kartik Ramesh Patare (31’), and Santosh Birajdar (37’).

In the final men’s encounter of the day, Chhattisgarh Hockey defeated Hockey Gujarat, 16-1. Mohit Nayak was in sensational form, scoring seven goals (18’, 21’, 31’, 38’, 40’, 56’). Captain Anand Kumar Suryavanshi (17’, 44’, 49’, 58’) and Prakash Patel (53’, 54’, 56’) also contributed significantly, while Piyush Kumar Dhiwar (27’) and Gaurav Yadav (36’) added further goals. Captain Mayank Sanas (30’) was the sole scorer for Hockey Gujarat.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Paris Olympics: World No.1 Jannik Sinner withdraws due to tonsillitis

Published

on

By

Paris Olympics: World No.1 Jannik Sinner withdraws due to tonsillitis

Paris Olympics: World No.1 Jannik Sinner withdraws due to tonsillitis

New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the Paris Olympics tennis tournament due to tonsilitis. The reigning Australian Open champion said he began feeling unwell in recent days and was ‘strongly advised’ against playing at the tournament which would have been his debut at the Olympics.

“I am saddened to inform you that unfortunately, I will not be able to participate in the Paris Olympic Games. After a good week of clay training, I started to feel unwell. I spent a couple of days resting and during a visit, the doctor found tonsillitis and strongly advised me against playing,” read the statement by Sinner on X, formerly Twitter.

Sinner’s withdrawal would mean that World No.2 and 2008 bronze medal winner Novak Djokovic will be given the top billing for the tournament. The official draws will be made on Thursday at Stade-Roland Garros, home of the French Open.

“Missing the Games is a huge disappointment as it was one of my main goals for this season. I couldn’t wait to have the honour of representing my country in this very important event. Good luck to all the Italian athletes who I will support from home. Forza Italia,” he further said in the statement.

ALSO READ:  Australia name Fraser-McGurk, Matt Short as reserves in T20 WC squad

Sinner was also set to be partnered alongside Lorenzo Musetti and placed as the top-seeded doubles team.

–IANS

aaa/bsk/

Continue Reading

Trending