Connect with us

National

Tejashwi should answer about 118 massacres which took place during Lalu, Rabri govts: Neeraj Kumar

Published

on

Patna, April 12 (IANS) JD-U MLC Neeraj Kumar on Friday said that the former Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav should answer about the 118 massacres which took place during the Lalu Prasad Yadav and Rabri Devi governments in Bihar.

“Who were the culprits responsible for 118 massacres which took place during the tenure of Lalu Prasad Yadav and Rabri Devi governments? The Dalit, backward caste and others were brutally killed in these massacres. Who gave them the political protection?” Kumar said.

Neeraj Kumar said that during the Lalu Prasad Yadav and Rabri Devi governments from 1990 to 2005, the number of massacres such as Laxmanpur Bathe, Senari, Bathani Tola, Usri Bazar, Rampur Chauram, Bhimapur, Shankar Bigha and others took place in districts of Bhojpur and Jahanabad.

Responding to Kumar’s allegations, the RJD Spokesperson Shakti Singh Yadav said that the JD-U leaders have no moral right to talk about crime.

ALSO READ:  Cong in strong position in 88 seats in India after 2nd round of LS polls: Kamal Nath

“I want to ask them who dissolved the commission which was formed for the identification of criminals. After Nitish Kumar came to power in 2005, he dissolved that commission. They should NCRB see data from 2005 to 2020 to know about the rise in the crime in Bihar which has taken place under Nitish government,” he said.

–IANS

ajk/dan

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Madras HC allows woman to sell immovable property of husband in coma

Published

on

By

Chennai, May 29 (IANS) The Madras High Court has permitted the wife of a man, who is in a comatose state, to sell or mortgage his immovable property valued over Rs 1 crore and utilise the money for taking care of his medical expenses.

The court also ordered that the proceedings of the sale or mortgage could be used for the maintenance of the family.

A Division Bench of the Madras High Court comprising Justices G.R. Swaminathan and P.B. Balaji on Wednesday reversed an order passed by a single judge.

The single bench judge had on April 23 dismissed a writ petition filed by S. Sasikala of Chennai to appoint her as the guardian of her husband M. Sivakumar who has been in a vegetative state since early this year.

The petitioner had approached the court with a plea to appoint her as the guardian of her husband and consequently permit her to operate his bank accounts and if necessary, to sell or mortgage an immovable property owned by him at Walltax Road adjacent to Chennai Central railway station.

ALSO READ:  PM Modi sanctions 32-km-long Puri-Konark railway project: Ashwini Vaishnaw

The single bench judge ruled that a writ petition could not be entertained for the appointment of a guardian, especially, when the Mental Healthcare Act of 2017 does not contain any provision for dealing with financial aspects. He had asked the petitioner to approach a civil court for such an appointment.

The division bench of the Madras High Court led by Justice Swaminathan disagreed with the single bench order and said that the writ petitioner had already spent lakhs of rupees towards the medical expenses of her husband between February 13 and April 4 in a private hospital.

Now, even at home, he had to be taken care of by appointing a caretaker and availing the services of critical care nurses.

The petitioner’s son and daughter, who had attained majority, were also made as parties in her writ appeal before the Bench and had given their consent for appointing their mother as the guardian.

The division bench of the Madras High Court said, “After an interaction with the children of the appellant, we are more than satisfied that the family is without any means and that unless the petition mentioned property is allowed to be dealt with, great hardship will be caused to them.”

ALSO READ:  ED raids AAP leader Deepak Singla's residence in Delhi

Authoring the verdict, Justice Swaminathan also said: “Taking care of a person lying in comatose condition is not that easy. It requires funds… The petition mentioned property belongs to Thiru. Sivakumar. It has necessarily to be put to use for his benefit. The State is not taking care of Thiru. Sivakumar. The appellant is shouldering the entire burden. Driving the appellant to move the civil court, in our view, is not proper.”

After setting aside the single judge’s order, the Division Bench appointed Sasikala as the guardian of her husband and permitted her to deal with his property which the Bench assumed would fetch over Rs 1 crore.

They directed the appellant to utilise a part of the proceeds to create a fixed deposit for Rs 50 lakh in the name of Sivakumar in a nationalised bank and withdraw quarterly interest.

The court also said that after the demise of Sivakumar, the fixed deposit would go in three equal shares in favour of his legal heirs — wife, daughter and son.

ALSO READ:  100 years of Raza: Large-scale art retrospective honouring artist S H Raza opens in Dubai

–IANS

aal/dpb

Continue Reading

National

Delhi HC grants statutory bail to Sharjeel Imam in UAPA, sedition case

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 29 (IANS) The Delhi High Court on Wednesday granted statutory bail to Sharjeel Imam in an Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) and sedition case related to his alleged inflammatory speeches at Aligarh Muslim University and Jamia area against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).

Despite this, Imam will remain in jail due to his involvement in the larger conspiracy case concerning the 2020 Delhi riots, which also involves UAPA charges.

The Division Bench of Justice Suresh Kumar Kait and Justice Manoj Jain allowed Imam’s bail plea, overturning the trial court’s decision that had denied him statutory bail.

Imam, represented by Advocates Talib Mustafa and Ahmad Ibrahim, argued for bail based on having served more than half of the maximum seven-year punishment.

Mustafa contended that Imam had already completed four years and seven months of incarceration out of the potential seven-year sentence.

However, Special Public Prosecutor Rajat Nair, representing the Delhi Police, opposed the plea, arguing that Imam had not met the requirement of serving half the sentence.

ALSO READ:  100 years of Raza: Large-scale art retrospective honouring artist S H Raza opens in Dubai

Nair pointed out that Imam’s case fell under the Explanation to Section 436A of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), making him ineligible for statutory bail.

Nair also attributed the prolonged pre-trial detention to Imam, citing that the trial was stayed at Imam’s request in 2022.

Despite these objections, the court granted bail, noting various key dates, including the date of framing of charges and the examination of witnesses.

Sharjeel Imam was arrested in connection with his speeches that allegedly incited violence and unrest during the protests against the CAA.

Imam, accused in a case related to the alleged larger conspiracy behind the 2020 Delhi riots, had earlier urged the High Court to grant him bail. The trial court had previously denied bail to Imam in April 2022, following his arrest in August 2020 in connection with the case.

He has been in custody since January 2020, facing multiple FIRs related to the violence.

ALSO READ:  INDIA bloc ally Vaiko slams Congress on Katchatheevu issue

–IANS

spr/rad

Continue Reading

National

Man held for killing wife in J&K's Kupwara

Published

on

By

Srinagar, May 29 (IANS) One person was arrested by police on Wednesday for allegedly killing his wife in J&K’s Kupwara district.

Officials said that the accused has been identified as Amjad Ahmad of Shartpalla village in the frontier area of Tangdhar in the Kupwara district.

“A 30-year-old woman was allegedly strangulated to death by her husband at their house during the intervening night of Tuesday and Wednesday,” the officials said.

The accused, Amjad Ahmed, son of Abdul Rasheed Mughal of Shartpalla Tangdhar, is a driver by profession at the State Road Transport Corporation (SRTC).

Soon after the incident, police arrested him and started an investigation into the matter.

“Investigation is going on. The body of the slain woman has been sent for medico-legal formalities after registering a case in the incident,” the officials added.

–IANS

sq/uk

ALSO READ:  Cong in strong position in 88 seats in India after 2nd round of LS polls: Kamal Nath
Continue Reading

National

KTR slams Telangana government over seed shortage for farmers

Published

on

By

Hyderabad, May 29 (IANS) Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) Working President KT Rama Rao on Wednesday slammed the Telangana government over the hardships faced by farmers due to a shortage of seeds.

The BRS leader wondered if there is a government in Telangana.

In his post on ‘X’, the former minister asked where the chief minister and agriculture minister were.

KTR, as Rama Rao is popularly known, remarked that the Congress leaders know only election campaigns and have no idea of the quantity of seeds required by farmers.

The BRS leader remarked that till yesterday the government was not buying paddy from farmers and today it is unable to sell seeds to them.

He said this demonstrates that governance has completely derailed in the state.

KTR said that the government failed to supply water for irrigation, resulting in withering of crops. He alleged that it lacks vision to supply seeds to farmers.

He alleged that farmers were queuing up for seeds from 4 A.M. but they were not getting seeds even after waiting for 12 hours.

ALSO READ:  Turncoat MLA jumps ship again in Bengal, returns to BJP from Trinamool

Claiming that during the last 10 years, the BRS government supplied seeds to farmers within 10 minutes, he asked if the present government can’t distribute seeds even after 10 hours.

Alleging that farmers were suffering in all districts, he asked how long they will have to face these hardships.

KTR claimed that during the BRS’ rule Telangana had emerged as the food provider of the country but under the Congress’ rule they are struggling to find food for themselves.

Stating that agriculture was a festival during BRS rule, KTR alleged that it has come to a halt in six months of the Congress’ rule.

He warned that if the government failed to wipe the tears of farmers, it would have to face their ire.

KTR on Tuesday described the police lathi charge on farmers in Adilabad, who were lining up for seeds, as extremely atrocious and termed it a government attack on farmers.

ALSO READ:  ED raids AAP leader Deepak Singla's residence in Delhi

He criticized the Congress government, calling it incapable of providing essential resources like irrigation water, financial support through Rythu Bandhu, and even seeds to the farmers.

For the past 10 years, the state’s farming community had been receiving seeds, fertilizers, and 24-hour free electricity smoothly, but the situation has drastically changed in just five months, he claimed.

KTR demanded that the state government immediately apologise for the lathi charge on farmers. He condemned the Chief Minister Revanth Reddy for neglecting the farmers while being busy with election campaigns in other states and visits to Delhi.

KTR suggested that the chief minister set aside politics and focus on addressing farmers’ issues. He demanded that the chief minister and agriculture minister immediately hold a high-level review meeting on the seed shortage, distribution, and the government’s failures to alleviate the farmers’ difficulties.

–IANS

ms/rad

Continue Reading

National

Traffic movement restored on NH-6 connecting 4 northeastern states

Published

on

By

Shillong, May 29 (IANS) Traffic movement on the National Highway that passes through Meghalaya, connecting Tripura, Mizoram, and Manipur, including southern Assam, was restored, officials said on Wednesday.

National Highway 6 (NH-6), which is an important road as it connects as many as four northeastern states with the rest of the country, is prone to landslides. During the monsoon season commuters face a lot of hurdles while traveling through this route.

A 30-km-long stretch in the East Jaintia Hills District of Meghalaya experiences frequent landslides in the rainy season.

According to a district official, rocks and debris fell on the highway in the Sonapur area on Tuesday that blocked vehicular movement on that route, and the administration deployed a workforce to clear the mudslide.

Abhilash Baranwal, Deputy Commissioner in the East Jaintia Hills district, told IANS, “We have been able to restore traffic movement on one carriageway in the landslide-hit zone. Vehicles have been moving, and we are hopeful of restoring complete traffic movement.”

ALSO READ:  Cong in strong position in 88 seats in India after 2nd round of LS polls: Kamal Nath

However, the official advised commuters on this route to stay cautious and keep sufficient food and water while traveling through this highway.

“There may be partial blockages on the road as the 30 kilometer stretch can experience landslides anytime during the rains. We have kept the workforce ready for restoring traffic movement at the earliest if any disruption happens; however, commuters must remain prepared for landslides, which may delay their journey by a few hours,” Baranwal said.

The Northeastern region is prone to landslides for the most part.

One of the significant landslide-occurring sites lies at Sonapur, which is situated in Meghalaya. The landslip zone is located 141.8 kilometers from Shillong, following the path of a perennial stream that descends on the left bank of the Lubha River.

It is an old, ongoing slide of rock and debris. It becomes active during the rainy season and seriously impairs communication on the roads.

ALSO READ:  Faridabad-based Bangladeshi human organ trafficker nabbed in Bengal

In the slide zone, the Oligocene-age Barail Group sandstone, siltstone, and shale sequence is revealed, according to a study carried out there.

The study further revealed the poor rock quality, unfavourable orientation of joints, and triggering effect of water during the rainy season, leading to sliding activity in the area.

In 2008, the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) built a tunnel of 123 meters in length to deal with the frequent landslides on that stretch. It proved beneficial for the first few years to combat the landslide; however, in the last 3–4 years, the landslides have increased their stretch and recurrently blocked the mouth of the tunnel on two sides.

–IANS

tdr/rad

Continue Reading

Trending