Connect with us

International

Tire falls off United flight departing from San Francisco

Published

on

San Francisco, March 8 (IANS) A tire fell off a United Airlines flight departing from US San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to Osaka, Japan.

“United flight 35 lost one tire after takeoff from San Francisco on Thursday,” the company said in a statement, referring to the Boeing 777-200 flight, which was then diverted to Los Angles International Airport and landed safely.

United quickly arranged for a new aircraft to take customers to Osaka on Thursday evening, it said, Xinhua news agency reported.

The tire debris landed in one of the airport’s employee parking lots. No injuries were reported.

According to United Airlines, the flight had 235 customers, 10 flight attendants and four pilots on board.

“The 777-200 has six tires on each of its two main landing gear struts. The aircraft is designed to land safely with missing or damaged tires,” United Airlines noted.

In a statement, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said it will investigate this incident.

ALSO READ:  UN relief chief highlights dire humanitarian needs in Syria amid underfunding crisis

Details are awaited.

–IANS

int/svn

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Hamas denies claims of its military leaders targeted in Israeli attack

Published

on

By

Gaza/Jerusalem, July 13 (IANS) Hamas on Saturday denied the claims that its military leaders were targeted in an Israeli attack in the Mawasi area of the Khan Younis city in the south of Gaza.

The “claims about targeting leaders are false claims,” Hamas said in a statement, noting that it is not the first time that Israel “has claimed to target Palestinian leaders, and then it was later proven to be false,” reported Xinhua news agency.

“These false claims are only to cover up the extent of the horrific massacre,” said the statement.

The Gaza health authorities said that at least 71 Palestinians were killed and 289 others injured by the Israeli airstrike that attacked tents of displaced people in Khan Younis.

Israel’s Army Radio reported earlier in the day that Mohammed Deif, the commander of Hamas’s military wing, and Rafa’a Salameh, the commander of Hamas’s Khan Younis Brigade, were the targets of the Israeli airstrike.

ALSO READ:  Promotion of violence never acceptable, says Canadian envoy on pro-Khalistani elements

The report didn’t provide details regarding the current status of the two Hamas military leaders. Nevertheless, the Israeli Defense Forces told Army Radio that the strike had been well-planned and carried out with extreme precision.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli army about the raid.

Deif, 58, has been considered one of Israel’s most wanted men for many years and was previously injured during several attempts to kill him.

–IANS

as/

Continue Reading

International

Africans have not forgotten colonial past, iconic Egyptian leader's grandson reminds EU top diplomat

Published

on

By

Moscow, July 13 (IANS) Days after the EU’s top diplomat Josep Borell admitted there is a high level of support for Russia and its President Vladimir Putin among African nations and people, Egyptian activist and African Legacy Forum founding member Gamal Abdel Nasser contended that the European powers fail to acknowledge their colonial legacy in present dealings with various nations of the continent.

Nasser, who is named after his illustrious grandfather and Egyptian President, who overthrew the country’s monarchy and faced off with then-colonial powers, recalled how the USSR had helped liberation movements in various African nations.

“We have a good working past with Russia. Of course, it had its ups and downs, but we have a much worse past with the colonising nations of Europe,” Nasser said in an interview to RT.

Noting European countries had long been carrying out political and military interference in Africa, he said that Africans do not have a “memory loss”, and are aware of what happened in the past centuries.

ALSO READ:  Slovakian PM Fico hit by four bullets, still 'serious': Deputy PM

“If they want to work with us – OK, but we need them not to forget this past,” Nasser added.

“We work with the countries that are willing to work with us on a fair basis and we do not want to be dictated on how we should govern ourselves, what our fiscal policy should be, or who we should talk to, and who we should support and who we should not support. This is still the mentality of the past. It’s the neo-colonisation. If they are thinking it’s either Russia or the West, then they are still thinking with this mentality,” he told RT.

His reaction came as EU top diplomat Josep Borrell, speaking at the NATO Public Forum in Washington as part of NATO’s 75th anniversary summit, on Thursday expressed surprise about the level of support African people are showing towards Russia, and called for a new approach focused on information warfare to influence perceptions.

ALSO READ:  Heal, unite and rebuild: Sri Lankan President's Vesak Day message

His remarks came amid closer ties between Russia and various African nations in several fields, including security. Some West African nations have ended their counter-terrorism agreements with Western nations and turned to Russia for assistance.

In 2023, delegations from 48 African countries took part in the Russia-Africa summit in St. Petersburg. At the event, the Kremlin declared that almost all had been subjected to “unprecedented” pressure from the West, which tried to prevent their participation.

–IANS

vd

Continue Reading

International

Search operation for landslide victims in Indonesia's gold mine ends

Published

on

By

Jakarta, July 13 (IANS) The search and rescue operation for victims of the landslides and flash floods in the mining areas of Bone Bolango regency in Indonesia’s Gorontalo province concluded on Saturday, a senior rescuer said.

Head of the provincial search and rescue office, Heriyanto, told Xinhua news agency that the operation resulted in 27 confirmed deaths, while 15 people remained missing.

“We stopped the search operation today. We have found 27 bodies. Fifteen others are still missing,” Heriyanto said.

As many as 283 people managed to survive the natural disaster that struck the mining camps and swept them away a week ago, he added.

More than 400 personnel, including soldiers, policemen, local rescue office staff, and members of the local disaster agency, participated in the search and rescue operation, according to Bagus Asrama, head of the operational unit of the provincial search and rescue office.

The cessation of the search operation adheres to standard procedures, which mandate a seven-day duration for search and rescue efforts, after which a decision is made on whether to extend the operation.

ALSO READ:  IDF deploys elite brigade in Rafah as Israel prepares for ground invasion

–IANS

as/

Continue Reading

International

Floods occur in China's third-largest freshwater lake

Published

on

By

Beijing, July 13 (IANS) China’s Taihu Lake braced for its “No. 2 Flood” this year, with the water level rising to 3.9 meters at 12:20 p.m. Saturday, 0.1 meters above the warning level, according to the Chinese Ministry of Water Resources.

China has entered the main flood season, and in recent weeks, its southern areas have been battered by persistent heavy rainfalls. Rain is expected to continue in the Taihu Lake basin for the next two days, and the water level will continue to rise.

Li Guoying, minister of water resources, called for increased efforts to drain water from Taihu Lake as well as strengthened inspection and defense of embankments in over-alarm-level river sections, reported Xinhua news agency.

The ministry recently held a meeting to make arrangements for flood control plans in major river basins, including the Yangtze River basin, Taihu Lake basin and Huaihe River basin.

ALSO READ:  Slovakian PM Fico hit by four bullets, still 'serious': Deputy PM

Taihu Lake experienced its 2024 “No. 1 Floods” on June 30.

–IANS

as/

Continue Reading

International

Myanmar exports over 700,000 tonnes of beans, pulses in April-July

Published

on

By

Yangon, July 13 (IANS) Myanmar exported 706,190 tonnes of beans and pulses between April 1 and July 5 of the 2024-25 fiscal year, earning 609 million US dollars, according to the Ministry of Commerce on Saturday.

The country shipped over 681,538 tonnes of beans and pulses via sea routes during the period, while it exported over 24,652 tonnes via land borders, the ministry’s figures showed.

During the period, the export of black gram topped the export list with 258 tonnes, followed by green grams with 149 tonnes and pigeon pea with 111 tons, the figures showed, reported Xinhua news agency

For the 2024-25 fiscal year, Myanmar has targeted the export of 1.89 million tonnes of beans and pulses, official reports said.

According to the commerce ministry, beans and pulses are Myanmar’s second-most cultivated crops after rice, accounting for 30 percent of the Southeast Asian country’s total agricultural production.

–IANS

as/

ALSO READ:  Fico in stable condition, Slovakian politicians say threats rising
Continue Reading

Trending