Connect with us

National

Two years after 'protected' python swallows hens, Kerala farmer gets Rs 2,000 in compensation

Published

on

Two years after 'protected' python swallows hens, Kerala farmer gets Rs 2,000 in compensation

Thiruvananthapuram, July 10 (IANS) K.V. George, a small-time poultry farmer from Kerala’s Kasargod, had been running from pillar to post for the past two years to get compensation from the state government after some of the hens he was rearing went missing.

George was disturbed after noticing the numbers dwindling every day in the hen coop in his home.

Initially, he suspected that someone was stealing the hens, but then one day in June 2022, he found out the thief and it was a python.

Seeing the massive python, he quickly informed the forest officials, who came and took it away.

Then, the forest officials informed George that he could apply for compensation as the rare reptile was ‘state-protected’, which he did promptly. The python is granted the utmost protection status under Schedule I of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.

But his efforts to get the compensation failed to materialise.

A year later a distraught George took up the issue at a ‘Janata adalat’ conducted by a state Minister. George expressed his ire to the Minister by stating that the snake might belong to the Kerala government, but the hens he lost were his and he needed to be compensated.

ALSO READ:  Fake lottery racket with New Delhi-Bengal link busted in Asansol; two held

The Minister pacified George but he still did not get compensation. Finally, he decided to approach the Kerala Human Rights Commission.

But, before he could approach the Commission, he got a call from the Forest Department regarding the compensation. He was sanctioned Rs 2,000 for the hens that were consumed by the ‘state-owned’ python.

A happy George finally felt relieved and said his efforts were rewarded. Meanwhile, to protect his assets from the ‘state-owned snakes’, he has fortified his hen coop.

–IANS

sg/dpb

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

MUDA case: Consent for CM Siddaramaiah’s prosecution to be sought from K'taka Guv

Published

on

By

MUDA case: Consent for CM Siddaramaiah’s prosecution to be sought from K'taka Guv

MUDA case: Consent for CM Siddaramaiah’s prosecution to be sought from K'taka Guv

Bengaluru, July 25 (IANS) In a major development, activist TJ Abraham has announced that he will seek the Governor’s consent for prosecution of Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday in connection with the MUDA case.

In a statement Abraham said, “I am scheduled to meet the Governor of Karnataka at 11.30 A.M. on Friday at Raj Bhavan, to seek his sanction for prosecution of CM Siddaramiah in accordance with Section 218 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, 2023, Section 17A and 19 of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.”

He added that this step was being taken after filing a complaint with the Lokayukta Police in Mysore, on July 18 in connection with the alleged illegal allotment of 14 alternative compensatory sites in Vijayanagar, of Mysore District, to BM Parvathi Siddaramiah’s wife on January 5, 2022, causing a loss of Rs.44.64 crore to the state exchequer.

The irregularities allegedly involve several persons including CM Siddaramiah, his wife Parvathi, his MLA son S Yatindar, MUDA Commissioner DB Natesh, MUDA Chairman HV Rajeev, the then Sub-Registrar of Mysore North SK Siddiah, the then DC Mysuru G Kumar Nayak (currently the Congress MP from Raichur), the then DC of Mysuru S Selvakumar and other people.

ALSO READ:  Voting begins in Ladakh LS seat on warm, sunny day

Abraham is the president of the Anti-Graft/Corruption and Environmental Forum.

During the tenure of Yediyurappa as the CM, prosecution consent was given by then Governor late Hansraj Bharadwaj in the denotification case, following which an FIR was lodged and the senior BJP leader had to face trial and was jailed in 2011.

–IANS

mka/rad

Continue Reading

National

Hushing up NEET leaks is alarming, how can we close our eyes: Priyank Kharge

Published

on

By

Hushing up NEET leaks is alarming, how can we close our eyes: Priyank Kharge

Hushing up NEET leaks is alarming, how can we close our eyes: Priyank Kharge

Bengaluru, July 25 (IANS) Defending the passing of resolutions against NEET and ‘One Nation, One Election’ by the Congress government on Thursday, Minister for IT/BT, RDPR Priyank Kharge stated that hushing up of the NEET paper leaks was alarming and Karnataka can’t close its eyes.

Speaking to reporters, Priyank Kharge stated, “We have moved a resolution like other states on safe, secure and transparent ways of conducting exams in the interest of students. How are they going to justify what has happened?

“The student who fails in 12th class in Gujarat gets 704 marks. How is the government defending it? How can we close our eyes? Seat blocking is resulting in people who do not pass class 12, becoming doctors.”

Asserting that Karnataka has the highest number of medical colleges, Priyank Kharge said, “We have been churning out medical professionals year on year. Even before NEET, we had our own entrance exam. In terms of conducting transparent examination, it had become a model.”

ALSO READ:  Karnataka Rajya Sabha elections: Shivakumar rules out cross-voting from Congress, BJP, JD-S issue whip

Priyank Kharge maintained that what was happening in NEET was unfortunate and the way it had been pushed under the carpet was quite alarming.

Commenting on the Centre’s delimitation proposal, Kharge stated, “If delimitation is going to be what the Centre wants, the southern states which are good governing states will get punished. We are going to get punished for being good citizens. It is not acceptable.”

“We are economic growth engines for the country. You can’t have a skewed representation in the Parliament in future. You can get any resolution favouring certain states, it will be passed because of numerical strength,” he stated.

“More importantly, the BJP should explain how they will implement ‘One Nation, One Election’, when they are the ones who are orchestrating ‘Operation Lotus’ everywhere.

“Whenever, they don’t have majority, they buy MLAs. Who is forcing bye-elections? Have you ever thought about it? What about panchayat, municipal and corporation elections? They happen at different times for various reasons and how will you ensure decentralisation?” Priyank Kharge questioned.

ALSO READ:  Bengal Governor bars entry of police, state Finance Minister into Raj Bhavan

The Karnataka Assembly passed the resolutions against NEET, ‘One Nation, One Election’ and proposal for delimitation of Assembly and Parliamentary constituencies on Thursday.

–IANS

mka/rad

Continue Reading

National

India on the cusp of launching U-WIN platform to monitor kids' health records: Health Secy

Published

on

By

India on the cusp of launching U-WIN platform to monitor kids' health records: Health Secy

India on the cusp of launching U-WIN platform to monitor kids' health records: Health Secy

New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) India is unequivocally committed to the well-being of its adolescents — the highest in the world — and is soon set to launch a Co-WIN-like platform for monitoring and identifying health records of children, Union Health Secretary Apurva Chandra said on Thursday.

“India is on the cusp of launching the U-WIN platform which is modelled after the Co-WIN platform,” said Chandra, while speaking at the launch of the “Economic Case for Investment in the Well-being of Adolescents in India” report in the national capital.

The platform “would lead to a transformative impact on not just storing the health records of every child but also in digitising these records as well as in monitoring, identifying and rectifying the challenges that arise”, he added.

The report highlights significant improvements in adolescent well-being in India over recent decades, showcasing the government’s extensive policies and programmes aimed at promoting the health and well-being of adolescents.

ALSO READ:  Lucknow University’s historic building to get a makeover

The Health Secretary noted that “India has and will continue to remain steadfast in its commitment to nurturing adolescents’ talents”.

“India has the largest population of adolescents in the world, 253 million strong, and growing. Our adolescents are the backbone of our future, embodying the promise of a vibrant and progressive nation,” Chandra said, noting that the country is “the first to launch the Rashtriya Kishor Swasthya Karyakram (RKSK)”.

RKSK is a dedicated programme to “reach out to the 253 million adolescents — male and female, rural and urban, married and unmarried, in and out-of-school adolescents with special focus on marginalised and under-served groups”.

Further, the Health Secretary pointed out several programmes for the well-being of adolescents, such as the School Health and Wellness Programme under Ayushman Bharat and the Scheme for Promotion of Menstrual Hygiene.

–IANS

rvt/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Kerala govt should not intrude into matters beyond its constitutional jurisdiction: MEA

Published

on

By

Kerala govt should not intrude into matters beyond its constitutional
 jurisdiction: MEA

Kerala govt should not intrude into matters beyond its constitutional
 jurisdiction: MEA

New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) Reacting strongly to Kerala government’s recent order to appoint a senior IAS officer as a ‘Foreign Secretary’, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday made it clear that the Indian Constitution clearly states that ‘Foreign Affairs’ are not ‘Concurrent’, “and definitely not a State subject”.

In an order dated July 15, the Kerala government led by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan appointed senior bureaucrat K. Vasuki as Foreign Secretary in matters concerning external cooperation.

“Let’s be very clear, the Constitution of India under the Seventh Schedule, List I, which is a Union List, clearly specifies that foreign affairs and all matters which bring the Union into the relation with any foreign country are the sole prerogative of the Union government.

“Foreign affairs is not a concurrent subject and definitely not a State subject. So, our position is that state governments should not intrude into matters that are beyond their constitutional jurisdiction,” MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said on Thursday.

ALSO READ:  Act tough to save youth from drug menace, Punjab BJP chief tells CM

Meanwhile, the Kerala government continues to receive criticism from several quarters for its decision.

“The appointment of an IAS officer as Foreign Secretary in Kerala by CM Pinarayi Vijayan is a blatant overreach and a violation of the Union List of the Constitution. The LDF government has no mandate in foreign affairs,” said K. Surendran, BJP’s Kerala unit chief.

“This unconstitutional move sets a dangerous precedent. Is CM Pinarayi Vijayan trying to establish Kerala as a separate nation,” Surendran asked.

He added that if things continue like this, the Chief Minister would be asking for a separate consulate and a Foreign Affairs Minister very soon.

“In the larger interest of the country, CM Vijayan should immediately cancel the appointment of Vasuki to the new post as it’s not in tune with national interest,” Surendran said.

–IANS

as/arm

Continue Reading

National

Manish Tewari questions govt on carbon emissions, Power Minister says 'target achieved before time'

Published

on

By

Manish Tewari questions govt on carbon emissions, Power Minister says 'target achieved before time'

Manish Tewari questions govt on carbon emissions, Power Minister says 'target achieved before time'

New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) Congress MP Manish Tewari on Thursday questioned the government over issues of carbon emissions and global warming, while citing the global consensus of the 1992 Earth Summit.

He said that this issue also found its mention in the Economic Survey, to which Union Power Minister Manohar Lal Khattar replied that the government was not only serious and forthcoming in achieving the climate goal objectives, rather it has achieved “targets before time”.

Speaking in the Lok Sabha, Tewari said that the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro (1992) reached a consensus that global warming must be limited to 1.5 degrees of pre-industrial temperatures that prevailed during the 1500s, before the first industrial revolution took place. He further said that the two chapters of the Economic Survey also talked about the sacrosanct 1.5 degrees and asked whether the government agreed with the assertion made in the document.

Replying to this, Union Minister Khattar said that the government was taking proactive steps towards this and it is also yielding results. “We have some commitments to the world community to achieve. We had set a target to reduce emissions by 30-35 per cent but we achieved it before time,” Khattar told the House.

ALSO READ:  Lucknow University’s historic building to get a makeover

He further said that by 2030, the government expects to cut it further by 40-45 per cent.

The Union Minister further said that the carbon emission targets are set up every year. All sectors and industries are given targets with a motive to spur competition. Those who accomplish the carbon emission target will be issued a certificate.

Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla also made an intervening remark and said that it’s a matter of pride that India is the only country to achieve the carbon emission targets before time.

Notably, the government has already declared its intent to roll out a carbon credit Trading Scheme by 2026. Those adhering to norms will also be issued a carbon certificate. A single carbon credit represents the removal or avoided emission of one ton of carbon dioxide – or another greenhouse gas like methane of equivalent volume. These credits can be sold at a cost to an entity that can then claim that credit as a reduction in its own carbon emissions.

ALSO READ:  58 children rescued from liquor distillery in MP, says NCPCR

–IANS

mr/vd

Continue Reading

Trending