Connect with us

National

Women voters again outnumber men voters in Mizoram

Published

on

Aizawl, April 12 (IANS) Women voters have once again outnumbered men voters in Mizoram who constitute over 51.56 per cent of the total 8,56,364 electorate for the lone Mizoram Lok Sabha constituency, where elections will be held in the first phase of voting on April 19, officials said on Friday.

According to election officials, like all previous elections, 4,41,559 women voters outnumbered the male electorate of 4,14,805 in the electoral rolls, which were published early this year after a special summary revision of the voters’ list.

Of the eleven districts in Mizoram, only in the Mamit district, the number of male voters (32,856) is higher than their female (32,278) counterparts.

The officials said that in last year’s November 7 Mizoram assembly election, 1.21 per cent more women voters exercised their franchise than their men counterparts.

Around 80.66 per cent (6,87,334) of the total of 8.57 lakh voters exercised their franchise in the assembly polls in which female voters’ turnout was 81.25 per cent while 80.04 per cent male voters cast their votes across the mountainous state.

ALSO READ:  My son is innocent: Bibhav Kumar’s father

Like the 2019 parliamentary elections, a multi-corner contest will be held in Mizoram’s lone Lok Sabha seat as six candidates including a woman are in the fray.

The ruling Zoram People’s Movement, which is contesting the Lok Sabha election for the first time, has put up entrepreneur Richard Vanlalhmangaiha while the opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) fielded its sitting Rajya Sabha member K. Vanlalvena, the Congress nominated Lalbiakzama and BJP put up its state President Vanlalhmuaka.

The lone female nominee Rita Malsawmi, a singer and lyricist, was fielded by the Mizoram People’s Conference and one independent candidate vying for the Mizoram Lok Sabha seat, reserved for the tribals.

Congress candidate Lalbiakzama (64) is a former police officer and Mizoram’s ex-Home Secretary.

MNF’s sitting Lok Sabha member from Mizoram C. Lalrosanga had expressed his reluctance to contest again, prompting the party to choose Vanlalvena.

In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, six candidates including a woman, had contested.

ALSO READ:  PM Modi salutes the beneficiaries of national programmes in Srinagar

Meanwhile, the Mizoram government has declared April 19 as a paid holiday for every person employed in any business, trade, industrial undertaking or any other establishment and registered as voters in Mizoram to enable them to exercise their franchise in the Lok Sabha poll.

–IANS

sc/dan

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Nitish Kumar express grief over death of Bihar natives in Goa road accident

Published

on

By

Panaji, May 27 (IANS) Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has expressed grief over the death of four persons from his state, who met with an accident in Goa.

“Deeply saddened over their death, who were from East Champaran district of Bihar and died in a road accident in Goa. Wishing speedy recovery of the injured persons,” Nitish Kumar said on ‘X’.

Four Bihar labourers were killed and four others injured after a bus rammed into their hutments along the roadside at Verna Industrial estate in the coastal state on Saturday.

These workers, all natives of Bihar, were engaged in the construction work of pavement in the industrial estate and were provided accommodation along roadside hutment allegedly by their contractor.

Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant said that all the accused persons, including contractors, in the road accident that claimed four lives, will be prosecuted.

CM Sawant said: “The accident at Verna Industrial estate causing death and injuries is unfortunate. The procedure has been started to prosecute the driver of the bus who drove under the influence of alcohol, along with the contractor and subcontractors who accommodated the labourers dangerously in the huts at the spot. All accused are being charged for causing injuries and death. Government shall also blacklist the contractors and subcontractors. No one shall be spared.”

ALSO READ:  My son is innocent: Bibhav Kumar’s father

–IANS

sbk/dan

Continue Reading

National

Tripura CM stresses on social awareness to prevent 'child selling' episodes

Published

on

By

Agartala, May 27 (IANS) Days after a three-day-old baby girl in Tripura’s Dhalai district was rescued hours after a poor tribal woman reportedly sold the infant, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Saha on Monday said more social awareness is needed to make sure such incidents do not happen again.

Noting that he had taken stock of the situation, the Chief Minister said that he took information from the District Magistrate and Collector of Dhalai district Saju Vaheed A, about the incident of the newborn being rescued and returned to her mother.

Referring to the allegations of the CPI-M about the “child sale” and economic distress of rural people and their suffering from acute scarcity of food and work, CM Saha said: “We used to witness such things (child sale and other problems) everyday when the Left parties were in power. I suggest people read the newspapers of that time (Left regime) and check.”

The Chief Minister said that considering the backwardness, the state government provides 10 per cent additional funds for development to Dhalai district, which is categorised as ‘Aspirational District’ by the Central government.

ALSO READ:  Freed from circus, elephant Suzy celebrates nine years of freedom

“Aspirational districts are areas where the government provides extra funds and focus to bring them at par with other districts. This ‘Aspirational District’ was earlier neglected by the previous government,” he told the media.

Saha said that the Chief Secretary briefed him in details about the incident (alleged child sale) and apprised that funds were provided by the local administration to the concerned tribal family and other steps were also taken to support the family.

“The opposition parties are creating issues and misguiding people against the government,” he said.

Reacting to the matter, BJP spokesperson Ashmita Banik on Monday said that the opposition CPI-M and Congress have tried to confuse people with false information of child sale in Dhalai district.

“A woman in Dhalai district gave away her newborn infant to a childless family for adoption. Unfortunately, the legal procedure for adoption was not followed in this case,” she told the media.

ALSO READ:  Ex-Haryana CM Khattar faces litmus test ahead of double elections in Karnal

The DM, Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Child line executives, local district council members visited and took stock of the situation.

“The mother of the newborn wanted to have a medical termination of the child but the doctor didn’t recommend it since the pregnancy was in an advanced stage. Then the tribal woman gave the child away almost for free to a childless couple for adoption. There is no case of child sale here. It is a complete lie,” Bank told the media.

Earlier, opposition leader Jitendra Chaudhury had said that a three-day old baby girl was reportedly sold by her mother due to ‘extreme poverty’ and he informed Dhalai District Magistrate and Collector Saju Vaheed A and Tripura Chief Secretary J.K. Sinha and sought their intervention.

Local media reports also said that a woman, Mormari Tripura (39), gave birth to a girl on May 23 at the Gandachara Sub-Divisional Hospital and the next day, she reportedly sold the infant to a couple for Rs 5,000.

ALSO READ:  Maximum numbers of red light violations in southern part of Delhi: Traffic Police data

According to reports, Mormari’s husband reportedly committed suicide five months ago due to financial hardship.

She is the mother of five children, including the newborn.

The District Magistrate had said the local authorities rescued the baby and handed it over to the woman on May 25.

“The mother and the newborn are now at home in Gandachara. The woman has been facing severe poverty, especially after her husband’s death. But it is not true that she sold her ration card and other documents to others,” Vaheed A had told IANS.

–IANS

sc/pgh

Continue Reading

National

God cursed Tejashwi Yadav for eating fish in Navratri: Samrat Choudhary

Published

on

By

Patna, May 27 (IANS) Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary on Monday said that God has “cursed” Leader of the Opposition (LoP) Tejashwi Yadav for eating fish during the month of Navratri.

“Tejashwi Yadav ate fish in Navratri while sitting in the helicopter. God has cursed him for this act. Lalu Prasad Yadav had also invited Rahul Gandhi in the month of Sawan, cooked mutton and served him. Do we eat non-vegetarian foods in the month of Sawan?” Bihar Deputy Chief Minister said while addressing a rally in Babuganj High School in Rohtas district.

He said that for the next one and a half years, the double-engine government will be in Bihar. “Sand mafia, liquor mafia and land mafia should either leave Bihar or be ready to face the consequences,” he said.

Samrat Choudhary also taunted veteran Congress leader Sonia Gandhi, saying that she never allowed former PM Manmohan Singh to express himself in a way which is befitting for a Prime Minister

ALSO READ:  No one can prevent Modi from becoming PM for third time: Kumaraswamy

“Pakistan’s army used to come and behead the Indian army. In today’s India, even if a small bomb is thrown from Pakistan, we respond befittingly,” he said.

–IANS

ajk/dan

Continue Reading

National

Mumbai Police get bomb hoax calls at airport, Taj hotel

Published

on

By

Mumbai, May 27 (IANS) An unidentified person on Monday called up Mumbai Police Control Room claiming that bombs had been planted at the Mumbai Airport and the Hotel Taj Mahal, an official said.

Following the call, the security apparatus was alerted and searches were carried out at the two locations, but nothing suspicious was detected.

A complaint has been lodged and preliminary investigations indicate that the call originated from a location in Uttar Pradesh around 11 a.m.

The caller had spoken very briefly, then abruptly disconnected, and now the phone is switched off, but the matter is being probed as per protocol, a source said.

–IANS

qn/pgh

ALSO READ:  Maximum numbers of red light violations in southern part of Delhi: Traffic Police data
Continue Reading

National

Delhi hospital fire: NCPCR asks Chief Secy to take action against authorities

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) on Monday asked Naresh Kumar Chief Secretary (CS) of NCT of Delhi to take appropriate action against the authorities responsible for the tragic fire incident at a hospital in which seven newborns died.

“Naresh Kumar Chief Secretary of NCT of Delhi must take appropriate action as per law against the responsible authorities: Department of Health Services, NCT of Delhi, Department of Fire Services, Municipal Authorities and other concerned district administration, and State Medical Council,” the Commission said after visiting the nursing home where seven newborns died in a fire incident.

The Commission has also instructed the Chief Secretary to submit an ‘Action Taken Report’ to the Commission within five working days and also sought a district-wise list of all government and private hospitals having NICU/ SNCU and any other medical facilities keeping the newborns and infants in NCT of Delhi.

ALSO READ:  Maximum numbers of red light violations in southern part of Delhi: Traffic Police data

The Commission has observed that in the said nursing home there was no emergency exit which is a serious violation of the National Building Code of India, 2016.

“There were no fire extinguishers and no automatic water sprinkle systems were functional. Also, at the time of the incident, locals reported it rather than the hospital staff,” the Commission said.

The Commission said that 12 newborn babies were rescued from the fire incident and shifted to East Delhi Advance NICU Hospital in Vivek Vihar for treatment.

Out of these 12 newborns, six were declared brought dead and one was put on the ventilator but could not survive. All seven dead bodies have been further shifted to GTB Hospital for postmortem.

NCPCR said that it seems that the staff of the nursing home was not trained in handling such emergency situations.

“Prime- facie it seems that the incident occurred due to the negligence of the concerned authorities,” the NCPCR said.

ALSO READ:  PM Modi salutes the beneficiaries of national programmes in Srinagar

–IANS

gcb/dan

Continue Reading

Trending