Connect with us

Sports

WPL 2024: Jemi and I complimented each other quite well, says Delhi Capitals' Alice Capsey

Published

on

Bengaluru, Feb 24 (IANS) Delhi Capitals may have suffered a narrow defeat to Mumbai Indians in the opening match of Season 2 of the Women’s Premier League (WPL) but had some positive as Alice Capsey, Meg Lanning and Jemimah Rodrigues batted well to revive the innings.

The JSW and GMR co-owned franchise played out a last-ball thriller against the defending champions as they went down by four wickets in the WPL 2024 opener at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on Friday night. Delhi Capitals posted 171/5 in 20 overs, courtesy of Alice Capsey’s remarkable knock of 75 off 53 balls, including nine fours and three sixes. She stitched crucial 50-plus run partnerships with captain Meg Lanning and Jemimah Rodrigues in the innings.

Speaking after the game, Alice Capsey said, “Meg was brilliant. She kept me calm and kept me clear on what our plans were. When Jemi (Jemimah Rodrigues) came in, we complimented each other quite well. It was fantastic to bat with Jemi, so great partnerships to be part of.”

ALSO READ:  IPL matches in Jaipur to be held under tri-party agreement made by BCCI: Rajyavardhan Rathore

The 19-year-old Alice Capsey took two wickets in the final over while defending 12 runs, but Mumbai Indians had the last laugh as Sajeevan Sajana pulled off a six on the last ball to bag a four-wicket win.

Highlighting the positives from the game, Capsey added, “When you put over 170 on the board, you’ve done a pretty good job. There are definitely a lot of positives. It’s just that bowling at the end. It was a bitter pill to take while bowling the last over.”

“However, just to get it somewhat close to the game was brilliant. It was a great first game to be a part of and what a start to the WPL,” she concluded.

The Delhi Capitals will square off against UP Warriorz in their second match of the WPL 2024 at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on Monday.

–IANS

bsk/

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Chennaiyin FC sign experienced Indian defender Mandar Rao Dessai

Published

on

By

Chennai, June 16 (IANS) Chennaiyin FC have announced the arrival of experienced Indian defender Mandar Rao Dessai to their squad ahead of the 2024-25 season.

Dessai is regarded as one of the most successful players in the Indian Super League (ISL), having won the league title in 2021 with Mumbai City FC and three League Shields — one with FC Goa (2020) and two with Mumbai City (2021 and 2023).

The 32-year-old from Goa became Chennaiyin’s seventh signing of the summer with a two-year contract that will keep him at the club till 2026.

The former captain of Mumbai City and FC Goa brings extensive experience and leadership to the team. Dessai is expected to form a formidable backline for Chennaiyin alongside players like Ryan Edwards, Elson Jose Dias Junior and PC Laldinpuia.

Commenting on the signing of Dessai, head coach Owen Coyle said: “In Mandar Rao Dessai we have got bags of experience coming in at left back. He’s a wonderful defender who can honestly say he knows the Indian football scene better than most, having made more appearances than nearly any other player in the history of the league.”

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Riyan Parag anchors Royals to 141/5 against superb bowling by CSK

Dessai began his professional career with Dempo SC in the I-League in 2013 before joining the Gaurs for the inaugural season of ISL in 2014. Since then, he has made 155 appearances in the league, including 14 playoffs, and has also registered six goals and 12 assists.

“Chennaiyin is a champion club. They’ve been champion two times and have been to playoffs so many times. I’ve played against them before and they always tried to have a good team. The coach also told me that I can be a good example for the youngsters and help the team grow,” Dessai said.

In 2020, Dessai created history by becoming the first player to make 100 ISL appearances. He was part of the East Bengal set-up last season where he spent 1195 minutes on the field in 17 ISL games.

Dessai has also played in the midfield on several occasions during his illustrious career. His versatility and vast experience will provide tactical flexibility to the team.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: 'Abhishek Nayar has basically been my guru in everything', says Angkrish Raghuvanshi

He has also represented the Blue Tigers in various tournaments and was part of the Indian team that won the SAFF Championship in 2021.

–IANS

ab/bc

Continue Reading

Sports

'Seemed like the right time': Namibia's David Wiese announces international retirement

Published

on

By

North Sound (Antigua), June 16 (IANS) Namibia allrounder David Wiese has retired from international cricket after his teams final T20 World Cup group stage match against England on Sunday.

Namibia’s camapign ended after their third group stage loss on Sunday to defending champion England. Their only win in the tournament came against Oman.

After Wiese was dismissed by Jofra Archer in the final over of Namibia’s chase in a rain-curtailed match, he raised his helmet and bat to the crowd as he walked off before being greeted by his teammates, including captain Gerhard Erasmus, at the dugout.

“I mean, (the next) T20 World Cup is still two years away, I’m 39 years old now, so , in terms of international cricket, I don’t know if there’s much left in me,” Wiese said in the post match press conference. Obviously, I would still like to play the game for a couple more years, I feel like I’ve still got a lot to contribute and a lot to play,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Suresh Raina set to lead UP battalion in Indian Veteran Premier League

“But I just feel like what better place to end a special career for me personally with Namibia. I’ve had a lot of good times with them and to play my last game for them possibly at a World Cup against a world-class team like England, it just seemed like the right time,” he added.

Wiese, who usually bats in the middle order, was promoted up the order to no. 3, smashed two sixes and a four in successive Adil Rashid in his 27 off 12 innings.

Originally from South Africa, Weise has played in three consecutive T20 World Cups for Namibia.

Wiese made his T20I debut for South Africa in 2013 and his ODI debut in 2015. He also represented the Proteas in the 2016 T20 World Cup. In 2021, he debuted for Namibia in the T20 World Cup and played a key role in their qualification for the Super 12s.

Namibia captain Gerhard Erasmus too confirmed that Sunday’s game against England was Wiese’s last game for Namibia.

ALSO READ:  ISL: Mohun Bagan Super Giant set the date for league winners face-off against Mumbai City FC with a dominant 4-0 win against Bengaluru FC

“Unfortunately it was his last game, which is a great moment for him to perform like that in his last game,” Eramus said in post match interview.

“Massive impact, in terms of the level of cricket he brought to our circle. He’s a great guy on the field in terms of performance but off the field he is someone we have really learned a lot from and he’s inspired us to new heights and greater heights,” the Namibia skipper said.

–IANS

bc/

Continue Reading

Sports

1st ODI: India women opt to bat first against South Africa in Bengaluru

Published

on

By

Bengaluru, June 16 (IANS) India women have won the toss against South Africa in the first ODI of the three-match series at M Chinnaswamy Stadium, here on Sunday.

India have handed an ODI debut to leg-spinner Asha Sobhana, who made her T20I debut on tour of Bangladesh last month.

On the other hand, Marizanne Kapp is set to only play as a batter in the first ODI due to workload management following a minor back injury.

Nadine de Klerk, Tumi Sekhukhune and Eliz-Mari Marx have been ruled out of the series opener due to illness, with Annerie Dercksen handed an ODI debut.

Playing XIs-

India XI: Smriti Mandhana, Shafali Verma, Jemimah Rodrigues, Harmanpreet Kaur, D Hemalatha, Richa Ghosh, Deepti Sharma, Pooja Vastrakar, Radha Yadav, S Asha, Renuka Singh

South Africa XI: Laura Wolvaardt, Tazmin Brits, Anneke Bosch, Suné Luus, Marizanne Kapp, Annerie Dercksen, Nondumiso Shangase, Sinalo Jafta, Masabata Klaas, Ayabonga Khaka, Nonkululeko Mlaba.

–IANS

ab/bc

ALSO READ:  ISL: Mohun Bagan Super Giant set the date for league winners face-off against Mumbai City FC with a dominant 4-0 win against Bengaluru FC

Continue Reading

Sports

T20 World Cup: 'Pakistan can't go any lower than this,' says Imad Wasim after early exit

Published

on

By

Lauderhill (USA), June 16 (IANS) After being ousted from the T20 World Cup, Pakistan all-rounder Imad Wasim believes it is the lowest point for the team as they failed to secure a Super Eight spot for the third time in the tournament history.

Pakistan opened their campaign with a Super Over upset against co-hosts USA before facing a close six-run loss against arch-rivals India. However, they defeated Canada by seven wickets but it was too late for Babar and Co. to make their case for the second round. In the last group stage fixture, Pakistan will take on Ireland in Florida on Sunday.

“Yes, this is the lowest point. You can’t go any lower than this. That’s the fact. I know we’re out of the tournament and it’s hard for the players but at the end this is an international game, a World Cup game so we won’t take anything lightly,” Imad said in a pre-match press conference.

ALSO READ:  Memphis and Oblak the heroes as Atletico book Champions League quarterfinal spot

Pakistan will not leave any stone unturned in the match against Ireland despite it being a dead rubber. “We will go out there and play for the country and play for the pride of our country which we already did but unfortunately the results we can’t control it. Yeah, but we go out there and play like it’s a World Cup game,” the all-rounder added.

Imad refrained from blaming individuals for their losses and called it a collective team responsibility. “We have given away two games by ourselves. We have given away the match by ourselves not because of an individual, but collectively, because of team effort, we gave away the match by ourselves.

“There is no excuse for that. Losing to USA, well, losing is a part of the game, but we shouldn’t have lost to USA. Even against India – we had that game in our hands and we shouldn’t have lost. So, there is no excuse for anything. We are losing matches collectively,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Suresh Raina set to lead UP battalion in Indian Veteran Premier League

“And I will tell you again that we never lose a match because of one or two individuals. Matches are lost because of the whole team. Whether someone does it well or not, that’s why it’s called team sport. If it was an individual, anyone can blame anyone and everything can be taken out of the rest. But you have to sit and think where mistakes are happening, how are they happening, why are they happening and you have to sort it out.

“After the match against Ireland – we will sit down and talk and then decide. I don’t do anything secretly. I told everyone when retired last time – If something happens, I will come and tell everyone,” Imad added.

He further acknowledged the disappointment of his teammates and countrymen on their lacklustre performance and said the team needs to revisit its white-ball strategy.

“When you fall, how do you get up and approach the world? And how do you react? That is what we have to see now. It is a very sad thing. But, who knows, it could be a big thing for Pakistan cricket. Revamp it, revisit it and play it the way white ball cricket should be played.

ALSO READ:  IPL matches in Jaipur to be held under tri-party agreement made by BCCI: Rajyavardhan Rathore

“So, me personally and our team, including me, are very disappointed and sad. And the whole public is sad that we didn’t perform well and we are to blame for it. But I would also like to say that we are human beings, we can make mistakes and we are also saddened by these things,” Imad said.

–IANS

ab/bc

Continue Reading

Sports

T20 World Cup: 'It was decided since the team was selected', says Rathour on Gill, Avesh's release

Published

on

By

Lauderhill (USA), June 16 (IANS) India batting coach Vikram Rathour has confirmed that travelling reserves Shubman Gill and Avesh Khan will leave the side after the culmination of T20 World Cup group stage fixtures, saying “it was decided since the team was selected.”

It was reported that Gill and Avesh will return home from the ongoing T20 World Cup home after the match against Canada. Rinku Singh and Khaleel Ahmed will remain with the side for the remainder of the tournament.

The duo, who were part of the four-member travelling reserves along with Rinku and Khaleel, had travelled to Florida for India last group A fixture with the rest of the team as backups in case of any adversity.

“This was a plan from the beginning. When we come to the US, four players will come together. After that two will be released and two will travel with us to West Indies. So, this plan was made from the beginning since the team was selected. This was planned so we are just following that,” Rathour said in a press conference after India’s match against Canada abondoned without a ball being bowled.

India have topped Group A with seven points despite a washout against Canada on Saturday halted their three-match unbeaten run in the ongoing T20 World Cup. Men in Blue will now head to the West Indies to play their Super Eight matches.

ALSO READ:  MotoGP 2024: Marini perseveres for important Sprint data as Martin takes pole for French GP

The wet outfield at Central Broward Regional Park Stadium Turf Ground in Florida forced the abandonment of the fixture which could have given them a chance to showcase their skills outside the tricky New York pitch.

After a washout due to wet outfield Rathour is looking forward to practice days in Barbados, where Men in Blue will take on Afghanistan in their Super Eight fixture.

“Again, not ideal. It would have been great if we could have gotten a game today. But now this is what it is. So, we look forward to having a couple of good practice days in Barbados and get into the game. So again, now the matches will happen simultaneously after one day.

“So, as a team I think we are ready. We are used to these kind of schedules, we have done it in past and I am sure we will do it really well this time as well,” Rathour said.

“Of course, disappointing I think for fans yes but even for a team we were really looking forward to play a game and we were expecting better conditions, batting conditions than what we got in New York. So as a team I think it was important for us to get a game but again something that we can’t control, we don’t control. So, it’s unfortunate that we couldn’t get a game here,” he added.

ALSO READ:  Suresh Raina set to lead UP battalion in Indian Veteran Premier League

When asked about Virat Kohli’s dismal form in the tournament, Rathour backed the star batter and said it is a positive sign that he is hungrier for runs.

“I love it when every time I come there is a question about Virat Kohli, whether he is doing well or not. No concern at all, no concern at all. He has been batting superbly from the tournament that he came from. Couple of dismissals here, doesn’t change anything, he is batting really well.

“Actually, it’s good that he is little hungrier, he is really keen to do well and really switched on. It’s a good space to be as a batsman, I think. Looking forward to some good games and watching some good innings from him,” he said.

Talking about the team’s preparedness for the Super Eight stage, Rathour said they have players to deal with any situation.

“Again, we need to be a flexible team. We need to look at the conditions that are in front of us and be ready to deal with those. So as a team, we are going to be really flexible, I think. We’ll react the way what we get on the day. We have enough resources in our team to deal with any kind of conditions,” said Rathour.

ALSO READ:  IPL matches in Jaipur to be held under tri-party agreement made by BCCI: Rajyavardhan Rathore

The batting coach added they are equipped with the best resources in each department to tackle any condition on the field.

“It’s good. You should be able to play on all types of wickets. We have the skills to play in all types of conditions and do well. So, we have got the difficult wickets. Hopefully, we will get good wickets in the tournament. And if we get turning wickets or if we get low-scoring games, our team is equipped to deal with that.

“I think our balance is very good in the team at this time. All the batters are batting well, bowlers are bowling really well, we have 4 spin options, we have enough fast bowlers as well. So, whichever conditions come, I think we are really equipped to deal with that,” Rathour concluded.

India will take on Afghanistan in their first Super Eight match in Barbados on June 20.

–IANS

ab/bc

Continue Reading

Trending