Connect with us

National

Congress leader Chennithala moves Kerala HC challenging amended Lok Ayukta Act

Published

on

Kochi, May 24 (IANS) Veteran Congress legislator Ramesh Chennithala has moved the Kerala High Court, challenging the constitutional validity of the recent amendments made to the Kerala Lok Ayukta (Amendment) Act, 2022, which became law after the President gave assent to it earlier this year.

The plea will be heard on Monday by a division bench headed by Chief Justice A.J. Desai.

The decision of the Pinarayi Vijayan-led state government to amend the act attracted much criticism both inside and outside the Assembly and after the amendment was passed, Governor Arif Mohammed Khan kept it pending. However, after the Vijayan government put pressure, he sent it to the President, who gave assent.

Chennithala, in his plea, said that before the amendment, the competent authority for complaints against the Chief Minister, a Member of the state Legislature, or office bearer of a political party was the Governor but after the amendment to Section 2 of the Act, the competent authority for a Minister or Secretary is the Chief Minister.

ALSO READ:  Juvenile held in Kota for killing friend to become popular on Instagram

The competent authority for a member of the state legislature is now the Speaker.

He also objected to the change in the eligibility of the Lok Ayukta from being a former judge of the Supreme Court or Chief Justice of a state high court to just a former high court judge.

“The amendment now introduced, the contingency of appointing a retired judge of the High Court, who had only a shorter tenure and who held the office as a judge of the High Court with perceived political philosophy cannot be avoided and thereby questioning the very significance of the office of the Lok Ayukta. Hence the provision for appointing retired judge as Lok Ayukta, other than retired chief Justice of the High Court is in fact and in reality, downgrading the office of the Lok Ayukta System,” his plea said.

The Congress leader also argued that the amendments are also against the independence of the judiciary

–IANS

ALSO READ:  Sena-BJP will collectively promote democratic values, says CM Shinde on BJP's Foundation Day

sg/vd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Yogi Adityanath leads Yoga Day celebrations in Lucknow

Published

on

By

Lucknow, June 21 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Governor Anandiben Patel led the International Yoga Day celebrations here on Friday at Raj Bhawan.

A large number of bureaucrats, including Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Durga Shankar Mishra, also participated in the event.

This year’s celebration theme, “Yoga for Self and Society,” emphasises yoga’s impact on personal well-being and community health.

The event aims to boost grassroots participation and promote yoga in rural areas.

The International Day of Yoga is observed every year on June 21 to highlight its immense benefits for overall health and well-being. This observance was established by the United Nations in 2014.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi proposed the idea of a global day dedicated to yoga during his 2014 address to the United National General Assembly (UNGA).

In December 2014, the UNGA passed a resolution declaring June 21 as ‘International Yoga Day’.

The United Nations describes yoga as an ancient practise with physical, mental, and spiritual elements, originating in India.

ALSO READ:  People will reject BJP in LS polls, claim INDIA bloc leaders in Tripura

The word ‘yoga’ comes from Sanskrit, meaning to join or unite, which signifies the integration of body and consciousness.

–IANS

amita/khz

Continue Reading

National

Price of Ayodhya shops slashed by 30 pc for allotees

Published

on

By

Lucknow, June 21 (IANS) In a major policy change, the Ayodhya Development Authority (ADA) has slashed the price of shops by 30 per cent for allottees who were displaced due to a road widening project undertaken in the temple town, government officials said.

In addition, it approved the proposal to hand over 500 newly constructed shops to allottees in Ayodhya on 20-year easy instalments without interest.

Now that it has been cleared, the ADA will send the proposal to the Uttar Pradesh government.

Ayodhya Divisional Commissioner Gaurav Dayal, who chaired the board meeting, said, “We have approved a proposal to cut shops’ cost by 30 per cent. In addition, shops will be handed over to allottees on a 20-year easy instalment without interest.”

Dayal is also the Chairman of the Ayodhya Development Authority.

These shopkeepers were displaced in the 13-km road widening project from Sahadatganj to Naya Ghat which has been named as Ram Path. The project was completed in December 2023.

ALSO READ:  EC launches signature campaign to boost voter turnout in Manipur

Earlier, shopkeepers had to pay the full amount to the ADA to take possession of shops.

As these shops cost around Rs 15 to 20 lakh, shopkeepers were unable to pay the amount. The only option before them was to take bank loans.

In December last year, these shops were ready. But due to financial constraints, only around 75 shopkeepers took possession of shops till the last month.

“We are thankful to the state government for bringing down the cost of shops by 30 per cent. And the remaining amount will be payable in easy interest-free instalments of 20 years,” said Ved Prakash Gupta, a BJP MLA from Ayodhya (Sadar) Assembly constituency.

In the recently concluded Parliamentary election, the BJP suffered one of its most humiliating defeats in the Faizabad Lok Sabha constituency where its two-time MP Lallu Singh lost to Samajwadi Party’s Awadesh Prasad.

The INDIA bloc candidate won the prestigious seat by a margin of 54,567 votes.

ALSO READ:  Lok Sabha polls: Union Home Minister Amit Shah to blow poll bugle from Bikaner today

After the grand opening of the Ram Mandir in Ayodhya by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 22 this year, the people of Faizabad voted for the first time and rejected the BJP.

State BJP Chief Bhupendra Chaudhary was in Ayodhya on a two-day visit from Wednesday to ascertain the reasons behind the party’s defeat in the temple town.

–IANS

amita/khz

Continue Reading

National

Akhilesh for court-monitored probe in paper leak

Published

on

By

Lucknow, June 21 (IANS) Samajwadi Party President Akhilesh Yadav has demanded a court-monitored probe to unmask those behind paper leaks even if it involves those who enjoy the patronage of people in government.

Lashing out at the Union government over the cancellation of the UGC-NET exam following an alleged paper leak, he said that the exam mafia was making a mockery of students’ future.

“Such frequent paper leaks raise concerns if it were a part of a deeper conspiracy to destabilise India’s human resource and cause law and order situation. A court-monitored probe was a must to unravel the truth,” he added.

He also said, “In February, the police recruitment examination paper was leaked and thereafter that of the review officer and assistant review officer (RO/ARO). The agencies then made a mockery of the NEET. Now the UGC-NET exam has been cancelled after it was leaked.”

He added that irregularities in the NEET exam will lead to a situation where honest and dedicated students will not be able to clear the exams on their merit and add to the shortage of qualified and efficient doctors.

ALSO READ:  Bengal post-poll violence: Calcutta HC extends retention of CAPF personnel by two days

Akhilesh said: “If undeserving individuals make it through using unfair means, ultimately it will reflect poorly on the quality of medical treatment in the days to come. The situation gets more concerning since the exam is held at the national level.”

“Similarly, cancellation of the UGC-NET exam will cause delay in making available qualified teachers. Shortage of teachers will directly and indirectly impact the development of the country which in turn will prove detrimental to the nation,” he added.

–IANS

amita/khz

Continue Reading

National

20k vehicles fined for using pressure horns, hooters in UP

Published

on

By

Lucknow, June 21 (IANS) With the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath calling for an immediate ban on the use of pressure horns and hooters in government and private vehicles, the Uttar Pradesh Police has fined 20,000 vehicles during the weeklong drive so far, the police said.

As many as 2.75 lakh vehicles have been checked by the police across the state since the Chief Minister issued orders.

A senior police officer said that 3,900 vehicles were booked for using hooters and pressure horns in their vehicles. Others include the use of police colours and insignia of the Uttar Pradesh government.

Uttar Pradesh Police collected a fine of Rs 1.3 crore.

Director General of Police (DGP) Prashant Kumar said efforts were being made by the police and transport departments to enforce the statewide ban.

“Traffic police at district and state levels have devised a plan for effective implementation of the order,” he added.

ALSO READ:  People will reject BJP in LS polls, claim INDIA bloc leaders in Tripura

Additional Director General, Traffic Directorate, B.D. Paulson said a month-long drive against pressure horns has been started.

“District police chiefs and commissioners will ensure compliance of the order. The drive will also crack down on the use of tinted windows in vehicles,” he added.

Lucknow Joint Commissioner Of Police, Law and Order, Upendra Agarwal, said as part of the drive sale of horns and hooters would also be banned.

“While checking 1,718 vehicles using blue lights and hooter sirens, 315 vehicles were asked to remove hooter sirens and pressure horns. They were also issued challans and a mitigation fee of Rs 44,500 was collected,” said a traffic police officer.

Police colours and names of departments inscribed on 346 cars were removed during the inspection of 2,178 vehicles that were using police colours.

Additionally, while issuing challans, an immediate mitigation fee of Rs 65,500 was collected.

Likewise, plates and stickers with the Uttar Pradesh government and the Government of India (except contract vehicles) were removed from 244 vehicles and while issuing the challan, a fee of Rs 47,400 was collected.

ALSO READ:  Woman found killed near home in Lucknow

–IANS

amita/khz

Continue Reading

National

UP man claims sex change operation without his consent, case filed

Published

on

By

Muzaffarnagar, June 21 (IANS) In a bizarre incident, a 20-year-old man in Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar has alleged that he was operated for sex change without his consent at a local hospital, the police said.

However, the hospital has claimed that the man underwent the sex reassignment process of his own will.

The 20-year-old man claimed that one Om Prakash used to molest him.

On June 3, the man said Om Prakash took him to the hospital, where he was sedated and deceptively made to undergo an operation.

When he woke up the next morning, he found his genitals were cut off.

“When I woke up, Om Prakash told me that I am a woman now and that he would take me to Lucknow to marry me. He threatened to kill my father if I resisted,” the man said, adding that the doctors and staff at the hospital were colluding with Om Prakash.

Based on a complaint by the man’s father on June 16, the police have arrested Om Prakash.

ALSO READ:  Juvenile held in Kota for killing friend to become popular on Instagram

However, members of the Bharatiya Kisan Union staged a protest outside the hospital, alleging there was laxity in the police investigation.

According to farmer leader Shyam Pal, the doctors at the hospital were involved in the illegal organ trade.

“I believe there is a very big racket going on here where they remove vital organs of the body and sell them at a higher price,” he said.

Pal also demanded the government to direct the hospital to pay Rs 2 crore compensation to the man and his family.

Ramashish Singh, Circle Officer of Khatauli police station in Muzaffarnagar, said, “There was a case here in which a person was operated for sex change. His family members alleged that he was misled by another person and the operation was done. Whatever allegations have been made by them, have been taken into consideration. Further investigation is underway.”

However, hospital authorities denied the man’s claim that he was deceptively operated on.

ALSO READ:  Bengal post-poll violence: Calcutta HC extends retention of CAPF personnel by two days

According to Chief Medical Superintendent Kirti Goswami, the man had been coming to the hospital regularly for two months to meet Raza Farooqui, a plastic surgeon.

Goswami said that the man identified as a woman and wanted to undergo sex reassignment surgery.

The Chief Medical Superintendent said that Farooqui referred the man to two psychiatrists to assess his mental condition, which is a prerequisite before a sex-change operation as per law.

The man was operated on only after the two psychiatrists deemed him mentally fit.

“The man came here to get admitted on June 4 and his operation was conducted on June 6. All these procedures are legal and were conducted under the supervision of Farooqui,” Goswami added.

Goswami also claimed that the authorities had a video of the man before his operation, in which he could be seen talking about undergoing an operation to change his gender.

–IANS

amita/khz

Continue Reading

Trending