Connect with us

National

HC dismisses Delhi University's plea against protests, deems it a police matter

Published

on

New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) The Delhi High Court has disposed of a petition from Delhi University concerning protests led by a former professor, at the North Campus.

Justice Subramonium Prasad said that the situation presented a law and order issue, which falls under the jurisdiction of the Delhi Police to address as per legal standards.

The court expressed its unwillingness to further pursue the matter at this stage, thereby disposing of the petition.

It was noted that the university has the option to file a complaint directly with the Commissioner of Police, who is then tasked to act based on the law and the specifics of the situation presented.

Delhi University had brought the plea, alleging that Dr. Ritu Singh, and her followers had commenced unauthorised occupation of land in front of Gate No. 4 of the Faculty of Arts, conducting protests and dharnas that disrupted the university’s operations.

The university sought intervention from the court to instruct the Commissioner of Delhi Police to ensure the uninterrupted and peaceful operation of the university and its associated colleges and departments.

ALSO READ:  Nitin Gadkari sanctions Rs 3,371cr for 4-laning Silchar-Churaibari corridor in Assam

Advocate Monika Arora, representing the university, informed the court that the protestors, led by Singh who is neither a current teacher, student, nor staff member, were essentially outsiders causing disruptions.

Justice Prasad, in response, pointed out the primary responsibility of the police in such matters and expressed reluctance to issue a directive (mandamus) for police action.

He stressed the significance of understanding the constitutional implications of arguing for judicial intervention in what is essentially a police duty.

The university’s plea stated how Dr. Singh’s activities not only hindered the accessibility of the university premises for students and officials but also involved defamation and threats towards the university’s officials, including the Vice-Chancellor.

Moreover, the plea accused Singh of defacing public property.

–IANS

spr/uk

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Atal Setu ramp repair work in full swing, to be completed tonight: MMRDA

Published

on

By

Mumbai, June 22 (IANS) The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) said on Saturday that the repair work on the approach ramp to the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL), also known as the Atal Setu, is in full swing and will be completed by tonight.

After a detailed inspection by the MMRDA’s operation and maintenance teams, the work started on Friday night despite heavy rain and has continued since then in full swing.

Built at a cost of Rs 17,840 crore, the six-lane bridge is 21.8 km long with a 16.5 km sea link connecting South Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.

In the past couple of days, there was speculation that the Atal Setu had allegedly developed cracks following which Maharashtra Congress President Nana Patole went to the spot for an inspection on Friday.

Meanwhile, the MMRDA has reiterated that “the cracks on the approach road from Ulwe (Navi Mumbai side) are minor and located along the edge of the road”.

ALSO READ:  Chirag Paswan meets BJP chief J.P. Nadda over seat-sharing in Bihar

It added that the re-patch work on the cracks — detected at three locations — has been taken up without disrupting the MTHL traffic.

The MMRDA also said that contrary to the rumours, the cracks are not on the MTHL bridge, but on the approach ramp towards Mumbai on the Navi Mumbai end.

“The cracks on Ramp 5 are minor longitudinal cracks in the asphalt pavement and do not indicate any structural defects,” the MMRDA said.

The repair work has been taken up by the Package 4 contractor (Strabag Infrastructure & Safety Solutions GmbH and Strabag AG.

On Friday evening, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said in a post on X: “There is no crack on Atal Setu, nor is there any danger to Atal Setu. This is a picture of the approach road. But one thing is clear – Congress has made a long-term plan to create a ‘rift’ with the help of lies… Only the people of the country will defeat this ‘daraar’ plan and the corrupt behaviour of the Congress…”

ALSO READ:  TN: Education Dept to conduct ‘Out of School Children’ survey

After visiting the bridge on Friday, Patole claimed that barely six months after the Atal Setu was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi (on January 12), cracks have appeared on it and a half-kilometre stretch of the road on the Navi Mumbai side has sunk by around one foot.

He pointed out that the government spent Rs 18,000 crore for the MTHL with loans, and “this is not development but sheer corruption, and the state government is filling its own pockets while playing with the lives of the people”.

–IANS

qn/arm

Continue Reading

National

Infiltration bid foiled on LoC in J&K’s Uri sector

Published

on

By

Srinagar, June 22 (IANS) Security forces on Saturday foiled an infiltration bid on the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu & Kashmir’s Uri sector.

Officials said that the security forces, including the Army, foiled the infiltration bid in Uri’s Gohallan area in Baramulla district.

The officials said, “A group of terrorists was noticed by the security forces trying to sneak into this side of the LoC in the Gohallan area of Uri. The group was challenged by the security forces. The infiltration bid was foiled.”

Further details on this are awaited, said officials said.

Terrorist activities have increased during the last fortnight in J&K. The intelligence agencies are attributing this to the last-ditch efforts by the terrorists to derail the peace in J&K.

With the Centre to soon begin the process of holding the Assembly elections in the UT, the terror elements are trying to create disturbances.

–IANS

sq/dpb

ALSO READ:  Nitin Gadkari sanctions Rs 3,371cr for 4-laning Silchar-Churaibari corridor in Assam
Continue Reading

National

Forest officer hacked to death in Karnataka, 5 arrested

Published

on

By

Yadgir, June 22 (IANS) A forest officer was hacked to death by drunkards after they were asked to lower their voice in Karnataka’s Yadgir district on Saturday.

Five people have been arrested in connection with the incident that occurred on June 5 at Motagi Bar and Restaurant in Shahapur town.

The deceased was identified as Mahesh Kanakatti, a forest officer from Shahapur.

The arrested accused are identified as Raju, Rekhu Naik, Tara Singh, Narasing and Prakash.

Kanakatti had gone to the restaurant, where the drunkards were yelling and creating a ruckus.

As Kanakatti asked the drunkards to lower their voice, an argument ensued during which they attacked him with a wooden log and kicked him.

As Mahesh became unconscious, the accused escaped from the spot.

Later, Mahesh succumbed to his injuries.

The police, after verifying the CCTV footage, identified the accused and arrested them.

Details are awaited.

–IANS

mka/svn

ALSO READ:  Nitin Gadkari sanctions Rs 3,371cr for 4-laning Silchar-Churaibari corridor in Assam
Continue Reading

National

Swati Maliwal case: Judicial custody of CM Kejriwal's aide Bibhav Kumar extended

Published

on

By

New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) A Delhi court on Saturday extended Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s aide Bibhav Kumar’s judicial custody in the Swati Maliwal assault case till July 6.

Bibhav Kumar was arrested on May 18 in connection with the assault on Maliwal, an Aam Aadmi Party Rajya Sabha member and former Chairperson of the Delhi Commission for Women, on May 13.

The Delhi Police had moved an application seeking an extension of Kumar’s judicial custody. While his counsel opposed the plea, the prosecution said that Kumar might interfere with the current investigation.

He was produced through video conferencing before Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Goyal of Tis Hazari Court on the expiry of his previously extended judicial custody.

Earlier, his bail was dismissed by the judge.

On May 17, Swati Maliwal filed a complaint with the Delhi Police, revealing the extent of harassment and torture she faced at the Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s residence. She had visited the CM’s residence on May 13.

ALSO READ:  Script row: Tripura student body calls for road, railway blockade from Feb 12

–IANS

spr/dpb

Continue Reading

National

Minister, top officials responsible for nursing college scam: MP LoP

Published

on

By

Bhopal, June 22 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh Leader of the Opposition (LoP) Umang Singhar on Saturday accused Minister Vishwas Sarang and top state officials of being responsible for the nursing college scam.

“Vishwas Sarang, his OCD Mahendra Gupta, ACS Mohammed Suleman and some other officials are responsible for the scam in the nursing colleges. Their role should be examined,” the LoP said.

On Thursday, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Mohan Yadav ordered the suspension of three officials, including Sunita Shiju, who was then in charge of the MP Nursing Colleges Registration Council.

The LoP alleged that Minister Vishwas Sarang, who was the Medical Education Minister in former Shivraj Singh Chauhan’s cabinet, along with the top officials are being shielded by the incumbent BJP government.

He said that earlier MP Nursing Colleges Registration Council used to function under the supervision of a representative body which was changed by the state government a few years ago.

ALSO READ:  ED raids AAP leader Deepak Singla's residence in Delhi

Over a dozen persons, including two CBI officials – who were part of the investigation, have been arrested in the past few weeks.

The multi-layer case is being heard before the Madhya Pradesh High Court.

–IANS

pd/dan

Continue Reading

Trending