Connect with us

National

Himachal crisis: All MLAs sorted out differences & will work under Sukhu's leadership, says Shivakumar

Published

on

Shimla, Feb 29 (IANS) Asserting that the political crisis in Himachal Pradesh has been almost averted, Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar who was sent to the hill state as an observer, said that all Congress legislators have sorted out all their differences, and they would work together under the leadership of Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu.

Setting aside speculation of “dissent” among MLAs and ministers against the Chief Minister, Shivakumar, who was accompanying another observer — former Haryana chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, said: “Chief Minister Sukhu has accepted that some failures have happened, but they will not continue further. We have spoken to all MLAs personally. We have spoken to the PCC president and the CM. One round of discussion will happen later.

“All of them have sorted out their differences. They’ll work together. We are forming a coordination committee between the party and the government with five to six members. They will all work together to save the party and the government,” he added.

ALSO READ:  NHRC notices Delhi chief secy after toddler mauled to death by stray dogs

On the resignation of Cabinet minister Vikramaditya Singh, Shivakumar said he had already withdrawn the resignation.

On the continuation of the incumbent Chief Minister in the future too, he preferred not to comment but added: “All Congress MLAs are united and all is well in Himachal. The Congress would continue for a full five years.”

Shivakumar and two other observers were deployed by the high command to tackle the situation in Himachal, which unfolded after the debacle in the poll for lone Rajya Sabha seat in the state.

He said they held meeting with all party MLAs in the presence of Chief Minister Sukhu, state party chief Pratibha Singh, and party’s central observer, Bhupinder Singh Hooda.

“It is unfortunate that Congress lost the Rajya Sabha seat for which the CM had taken full responsibility,” he said.

He said a coordination committee was being constituted to take care of all the issues in the future.

ALSO READ:  Lucknow: Anti-demo vehicle in CM Yogi's convoy meets with accident; 11 injured

It comprises the Chief Minister, the Deputy Chief Minister, the state party chief besides three other members nominated by the central leadership.

Meanwhile, responding to a question on the political turmoil in the state, Himachal Pradesh unit Congress president Pratibha Singh said: “We regret that we could not make our candidate, who is an eminent lawyer (Abhishek Manu Singhvi), win the Rajya Sabha seat. Now we have the challenge of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections for which have started working. We will work hard and win all the four seats.”

Earlier on Thursday, to save the government, Speaker Kuldeep Singh Pathania declared the six rebel legislators cease to be members of the Assembly with immediate effect, saying “the MLAs defied party whip to vote in favour of the government on Financial Bill”.

He clarified that all six MLAs, who contested on the Congress symbol, attracted provisions of anti-defection law against themselves.

“I declare that the six persons cease to be members of the Himachal Pradesh Assembly with immediate effect,” he told the media here. The order was pronounced by the Speaker on the petition of Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harsh Vardhan Chauhan, who sought the disqualification of six MLAs under the anti-defection law.

ALSO READ:  Goa CM reviews status of auctioned mining blocks

They also voted against the party to support BJP’s lone candidate for the Rajya Sabha.

The six Congress MLAs who faced action are Sudhir Sharma (Dharamsala) and Rajinder Rana (Sujanpur), both ministerial aspirants; Inder Dutt Lakhanpal (Badsar); Ravi Thakur (Lahaul-Spiti); Chaitnaya Sharma (Gagret); and Devender Bhutto (Kutlehar).

In the 68-member Assembly, the Congress had 40 MLAs, while the BJP had 25 and three independent MLAs.

Now, after the Speaker disqualified the six rebel Congress MLAs who voted in favour of the BJP, the strength of the House will come down to 62.

The halfway mark will be 31 and the majority will be 32, just two less than Congress’ strength.

–IANS

vg/pgh

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Fan's murder: Actors Darshan, Pavithra not cooperating, hiding facts

Published

on

By

Bengaluru, June 13 (IANS) The Karnataka Police are investigating the murder of 33-year-old Renukaprasad allegedly by Kannada superstar Darshan, his ‘second wife’ Pavithra Gowda and others who have told the court that Darshan and Pavithra Gowda were not cooperating with the investigation, sources said on Wednesday.

The remand application was submitted before the court on Tuesday.

The remand application also mentions that Darshan and Pavithra were also hiding the facts.

Considering the petition, the court had sent the accused to a six-day custody to the police.

Meanwhile, the investigation has revealed the involvement of 17 persons in connection with the murder of Renukaswamy.

Among the 17, four persons are absconding according to the police and a hunt has been launched against them.

The accused are identified as Jagadish aka Jagga, Anu, Ravi and Raju.

The police have named 33-year-old Pavithra Gowda as the main accused and 47-year-old actor Darshan alias D Boss as the second accused.

ALSO READ:  Priyanka Gandhi to hold roadshow, address rally in Tripura on April 16

The other accused is Puttaswamy aka Pavan. K (29), Raghavendra (43), Nandeesha (28), Vinay (38), Nagaraju (41), Lakshmana (54), Deepak (39), Pradoosh (40), Karthik alias Kappe (27), Keshavamurthy (27) and Nikhil Nayak (21).

The remand application submitted to the court by the police states that the case has been registered against the accused under the IPC Section 302 (murder) and 201 (causing disappearance of evidence and giving false information to screen offender), sources said.

The accused Raghavendra, Karthik, Nikhil Nayak and Keshavamurty had surrendered before the police on June 10 at 7 p.m. and claimed that they had killed Renukaswamy and disposed of the body near a gutter.

After being questioned all the four accused revealed the role of other accused persons, including Darshan.

The police have arrested 13 persons in connection with the murder case.

–IANS

mka/khz

Continue Reading

National

Gujarat govt introduces new safety rules to prevent Rajkot gaming zone-like fire incidents

Published

on

By

Ahmedabad, June 13 (IANS) The Gujarat government on Wednesday announced new safety measures to prevent incidents like the Rajkot gaming zone fire incident, in which at least 27 people were killed.

Gujarat Cabinet Minister Rushikesh Patel announced the launch of “The Gujarat Amusement Rides and Gaming Zone Activities (Safety) Rules-2024” by the Home Department, aimed at ensuring the safety of citizens visiting amusement rides and gaming zones.

This initiative, which directly responds to the tragic Rajkot TRP game zone fire, aims to prevent any similar incidents statewide.

Rushikesh Patel also said that the government is seeking public input on these new safety regulations.

Citizens can email their objections and suggestions regarding the rules to the Home Department at home@gujarat.gov.in by June 25.

“Once finalised, the new regulations will be officially published. With these measures, the Gujarat government aims to enhance safety protocols and ensure that incidents like the Rajkot TRP (game zone) fire are never repeated,” Patel added.

ALSO READ:  Mallikarjun Kharge targets PM Modi over '400 paar' slogan

The proposed rules have been published on the Home Department’s website, where citizens can review them and provide feedback.

These rules mandate that an amusement ride intended for operation for at least three months can be installed with prior permission from the licensing authority.

Upon receiving the application, the licensing authority will forward it to relevant authorities for No Objection Certificates (NOCs) related to fire safety, building use, structural stability, health, sanitation, and electrical installations.

The licensing authority will then consider recommendations from the City Ride Safety and Inspection Committee or the District Ride Safety Committee before granting permission, which will be issued in Form B with specific terms and conditions, or the application will be refused in writing.

Any major changes in design, specifications, or installation methods must receive prior approval.

The licensing authority will issue a written direction specifying the approved deviations and any conditions to be complied with.

Furthermore, the installation of amusement rides must be supervised by a qualified person, ensuring that all work and tests adhere to the authorised designs, specifications, installation methods, and conditions of the installation permit.

ALSO READ:  Lucknow: Anti-demo vehicle in CM Yogi's convoy meets with accident; 11 injured

Regular inspections must be conducted to maintain compliance with these standards.

–IANS

janvi/pgh

Continue Reading

National

15 Himachal products get GI tag

Published

on

By

Shimla, June 13 (IANS) Fifteen products from Himachal Pradesh have been registered under the Geographical Indication (GI).

This fact came to light in an exhibition featuring registered and potential GI products at the Indira Gandhi State Sports Complex here.

State Chief Secretary Prabodh Saxena inaugurated the event that would continue till June 16.

The exhibition showcases about 15 GI products which include Kullu shawl, Kangra tea, Chamba rumal, Kinnauri shawl, Kangra painting, Himachali kala jeera, chulli oil, Chamba chappal and Lahauli socks and gloves.

Additionally, potential GI products identified for registration include Chamba metal craft, Kinnauri jewellery, Spiti chharma, Bharmour rajma, Pangi ki thangi, Chamba chukh, red rice, dasangru and Sirmauri loia, Karsog kulthi, Himachali dham, Himachali musical instruments, Kinnauri apple, and sepu badi.

An application has been made for the registration of Chamba metal craft.

Saxena, while emphasising the importance of GI tags, said these tags were given to products with a specific geographical origin such as Chamba rumal, Chamba chappal, Kangra tea and Kangra painting.

ALSO READ:  Congress expels Sanjay Nirupam for anti-party activities

He said the registration of GI products provides legal protection, enhances their export potential and promotes the economic prosperity of producers in specific geographical areas.

The exhibition offers an opportunity for both locals and tourists to learn about GI products and purchase valuable traditional items.

–IANS

vg/khz

Continue Reading

National

POCSO case: Victim's brother moves K'taka HC seeking Yediyurappa’s arrest, govt appoints SPP (Ld)

Published

on

By

Bengaluru, June 13 (IANS) In a setback to former Chief Minister and BJP Parliamentary Board member B.S. Yediyurappa, a writ petition was submitted in the Karnataka High Court on Wednesday seeking his arrest in a POCSO case lodged against him in Bengaluru before the Lok Sabha elections.

Taking the matter seriously, the Congress government has appointed special public prosecutor (SPP) Ashok N. Nayak to represent the prosecution in the case. According to sources, the Congress government has decided to initiate legal action against Yediyurappa.

The victim’s brother filed the writ petition before the high court, claiming that the police did not take any action though it has been months since the complaint was filed against the veteran BJP leader.

The victim’s mother, who passed away on May 26, had filed a case against Yediyurappa in March this year under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, alleging harassment of her daughter when she went to the former CM’s residence seeking help in a 2015 case of assault.

ALSO READ:  NHRC notices Delhi chief secy after toddler mauled to death by stray dogs

The petitioner claimed that the CCTV footage from Yediyurappa’s residence was not seized, and neither was a notice served to the BJP leader under Section 41A, which is a basic step in a POCSO case.

Meanwhile, Yediyurappa had also approached the high court seeking quashing of the POCSO case against him.

He submitted in his petition that he did not indulge in any unlawful act, and alleged that the complainant had a habit of filing complaints.

“I had attended the interrogation after the FIR was lodged. The police had collected voice samples but did not record my statement,” Yediyurappa claimed.

In March, the victim’s mother had filed complaints against 53 persons, including senior police officers, politicians, and bureaucrats.

Commenting on the case, Karnataka Home Minister G. Parameshwara said on Wednesday that the investigation is going on and the police are gathering more evidence.

Earlier, the Congress government in Karnataka handed over the case to the special wing of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

ALSO READ:  Goa CM reviews status of auctioned mining blocks

–IANS

mka/arm

Continue Reading

National

Kuwait fire tragedy: Around 40 Indians killed, says MEA; Jaishankar speaks to Kuwaiti FM

Published

on

By

New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Wednesday spoke to his Kuwaiti counterpart Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya about the fire tragedy in Kuwait City in which around 40 Indians are feared to have died.

According to reports by Kuwaiti media, the fire broke out in a six-floor building that was crammed with migrant workers in the city’s al-Mangaf area.

EAM Jaishankar, in a post on X, said: @Spoke to Kuwaiti FM Abdullah Ali Al-Yahya on the fire tragedy in Kuwait. Apprised of the efforts made by Kuwaiti authorities in that regard. Was assured that the incident would be fully investigated and that responsibility will be fixed.”

S. Jaishankhar said that he urged the Kuwaiti Foreign Minister for the early repatriation of the mortal remains of those who lost their lives.

“He emphasized that those injured were getting the requisite medical attention. We will review the situation after MoS Kirtivardhan Singh reaches Kuwait tomorrow,” he added.

ALSO READ:  Mallikarjun Kharge targets PM Modi over '400 paar' slogan

Prime Minister Narendra Modi earlier on Wednesday chaired a review meeting on the fire tragedy in Kuwait at his residence.

PM Modi also announced ex-gratia relief of Rs 2 lakh to the families of deceased Indian nationals from the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund.

The Prime Minister expressed his deep sorrow at the unfortunate incident and extended condolences to the families of the deceased. He also wished speedy recovery for those injured.

Meanwhile, in a statement, the External Affairs Ministry (EAM) said: “In an unfortunate and tragic fire incident in a Labour housing facility in Mangaf area of Kuwait, around 40 Indians are understood to have died and over 50 injured. The Embassy is ascertaining the full details from the concerned Kuwaiti authorities and the company. We offer our deepest condolences to the bereaved families.”

The EAM statement mentioned that those injured are presently admitted to five government hospitals in Kuwait and receiving proper medical care and attention. According to hospital authorities, most of the admitted patients are stable.

ALSO READ:  Congress expels Sanjay Nirupam for anti-party activities

The EAM statement further said: “Following the incident, Ambassador of India in Kuwait, Adarsh Swaika, immediately visited the location of the incident and also the hospitals to ascertain the welfare of the Indian nationals. The Embassy continues to coordinate with local authorities to assist Indian nationals who have been injured in this unfortunate incident and extend all possible support. The Embassy is receiving full cooperation from the Kuwaiti authorities.”

The statement also said that the Indian Embassy in Kuwait continues to remain in touch with local authorities to provide relief to those affected.

“The Embassy has established a helpline +965-65505246 (WhatsApp and regular call) for family members to get in touch. Regular updates are being provided through the helpline,” the EAM said.

The fire broke out while the workers were asleep, and some residents had to jump from the building in an attempt to survive, Kuwaiti newspaper al-Qabas reported, citing witnesses.

ALSO READ:  Registration of will no longer compulsory in UP: Allahabad HC

Kuwait’s Emir Meshal Al Ahmad has ordered investigations to determine the cause of the blaze and bring to account those found responsible, Kuna said.

–IANS

pgh/

Continue Reading

Trending