Connect with us

Sports

IPL 2024: Whoever comes in to replace Jos is going to do a great job for us, says RR coach Bond

Published

on

New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) Shane Bond, the assistant coach and fast-bowling coach of Rajasthan Royals, said whoever in their squad will come in to replace Jos Buttler after the league stage of IPL 2024 ends will do a great job for the side if they enter the playoffs.

Rob Key, England men’s managing director, had revealed that Buttler, who will captain the side in the upcoming T20 World Cup, will be leaving IPL 2024 after the league stage concludes, along with other showpiece-event bound players to play in a T20I series against Pakistan at home, which is in direct clash with the tournament playoffs.

It means that RR will have to place a new opening partner for Yashasvi Jaiswal in Buttler’s absence. “That happens all the time with international teams like Mustafizur has now missed out for Chennai (due to the Bangladesh-Zimbabwe T20I series). We are aware of the implications of losing out on players and we are not going to be the only team affected by it.”

“That’s why you have a squad and bring someone else to fill in that role. So we’ve always had those contingencies in place it’s part and parcel of having an IPL before a World Cup and you deal with that when it happens.”

“He’s one of the world’s best players so it’s obviously a loss. I was part of Mumbai Indians in 2017, where we had the same thing he left playing for and we still won the tournament. So that’s why you build a squad for.”

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Will Jacks, Kohli shock Gujarat, keep RCB's playoff hopes alive

“Also, KKR are going to lose Phil Salt; other teams are losing players as everyone’s impacted either by people being removed for World Cup or by injuries. We certainly feel like we’ve got a really strong squad and whoever comes in to replace Jos is going to do a great job for us,” said Bond in the pre-match press conference.

At the same time, Bond was also delighted with the selection of captain and wicketkeeper-batter Sanju Samson into India’s 15-member squad for the mega event. “Coming into this season for the first time, always had great respect for Sanju from afar. The opportunity to come in and work alongside him has been fantastic. He’s known in the team as being a fun guy and relaxed guy.”

“When you take over the captain’s role, there’s a lot that comes with it – the media commitments, sponsorship, all that stuff. I think what he’s learning and has learned from the last couple of years is managing all that, managing his time, and energy, and leaning on senior players in the group. We’ve got some great senior players in our team.”

ALSO READ:  Kim Clijsters has decided to retire again to spend time with her family

“By balancing all that, it’s got the best out of him because the IPL is an energy-sapping competition, particularly when you get to the back end. It’s been exciting for us as a team to see him get (T20) World Cup selection. We’re all delighted for him. He’s playing beautifully and hopefully, he can just keep leading us through the back end of this tournament like he has been.”

RR have enjoyed a great run in the tournament so far, winning eight matches to be in second position with 16 points. Their last game ended in a one-run defeat to Sunrisers Hyderabad, and Bond thinks his team is fully prepared to solidify their chances of entering the playoffs, taking into account the short boundaries at the Arun Jaitley Stadium ahead of their clash against Delhi Capitals on Tuesday.

“We’ve only lost two games in the tournament and both have been on the last ball. We understand that we’re really tough team to beat. I think coming out of the last game we talked a lot about our power-play with the ball as we were up against a pretty high-octane batting lineup with Travis and Abhishek and we keep them to 35.”

“We understand the challenge out here tomorrow against Delhi on a small ground again so that’s the one thing we really want to carry forward into this game. If we continue to play the way we are then we’re going to win games. We know how we want to play and credit to the boys – they’ve played beautifully through the tournament so far.”

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Ishan, Surya fifties after Bumrah fifer helps Mumbai Indians beat RCB by 7 wickets (Ld)

“So it’s never nice to lose, but it’s certainly nice to have eight wins under the belt with four games to go. We’re pretty happy with where we sit. We plan for every team and player, plus against the challenges in the game to go out and execute the plans right.”

“We’ve sat down today and have gone through each of the Delhi batsmen – how we want to attack them, the way we want to contain them, where we think we can have success and then we’ll go out tomorrow and try to put that in place.”

“When we’ve done that, we’ve been really good. Our bowling unit’s done a terrific job so far. For me, it’s always nice to see if the boys can go out and put that in place so that’s where the fun part is – when we can deliver on the stuff we want to do,” he concluded.

–IANS

nr/cs/bsk/

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Bochum stay in Bundesliga after dramatic comeback win over Dusseldorf in play offs

Published

on

By

Berlin, May 28 (IANS) Bochum rallied back from a 3-0 first leg defeat and overpowered Dusseldorf 6-5 (3-3) on penalties to stay in Germany’s top-flight following the second leg of the relegation.

Bochum started highly motivated into the second leg, knowing that only three-goal lead would force second-division outfit Dusseldorf into the overtime.

However, Dusseldorf staged a lively start and nearly extended their lead to 4-0 on aggregate but for all that Ao Tanaka’s shot got blocked by defender Ivan Ordets in the last nick of time.

Bochum responded well and opened the scoring with its first clear-cut opportunity as Philipp Hofmann headed home Kevin Stoger’s free kick cross into the area, cutting Dusseldorf’s aggregate lead to 3-1 with 18 minutes gone.

The visitors remained dangerous and gained momentum in front of the target before the half time as Keven Schlotterbeck headed narrowly wide in the 41st minute while Lukas Daschner’s effort from 20 meters rattled the side netting moments later.

ALSO READ:  WPL 2024: Bowling makes good strides; batting and fielding gaps need to be bridged (round-up)

Daschner remained in the thick of things and got his dangerous shot blocked by Tim Oberdorf five minutes into the second half.

Bochum eventually reduced Dusseldorf’s aggregate lead to 3-2 as Stoger’s cross into the penalty area found Hofmann for the second time in the 66th minute.

Dusseldorf was shocked and had to witness that Bochum levelled the tie four minutes later when Stoger converted a handball penalty after making it 3-0 on the scoreboards.

The hosts couldn’t put up resistance whereas Bochum missed the chance to take the lead as Takuma Asano squandered two promising chances in the closing stages.

After an evenly balanced overtime the penalty shoot-out had to bring decision. Both teams missed one penalty before Dusseldorf’s Takashi Uchino pulled over the target in the sudden death.

“I am exhausted and can’t describe my feelings. We have suffered a lot in the last week. Respect to the boys for turning a three-goal loss around. It will be fantastic for Bochum to play another season in the Bundesliga,” said Bochum’s CEO Patrick Fabian.

ALSO READ:  Yashasvi Jaiswal, Annabel Sutherland named ICC Player of the Month for February

With the result, Dusseldorf stay in the second division whereas Bochum stay up for another season.

–IANS

bc/

Continue Reading

Sports

Aston Villa coach Unai Emery signs deal until 2029

Published

on

By

London, May 28 (IANS) Aston Villa coach Unai Emery has signed a new five-year contract after leading the club to qualification for next season’s Champions League.

Emery has completely changed Villa’s fortunes after replacing Steven Gerrard in October 2022 when they were just one place above the bottom three of the Premier League.

The 52-year-old quickly brought results and Villa finished seventh last season to qualify for the Conference League, while this season they got to the semi-finals of the European competition and finished fourth in the Premier League.

Emery’s previous contract still had three years to run, but now the club has assured his long-term future after rumors of interest from other big clubs in Europe., reports Xinhua.

“I am very happy to take this step and the responsibility of leading this club (…) There’s a great chemistry in Aston Villa. And the element of the fans’ support also makes the difference to feel like home.

ALSO READ:  WPL 2024: Bowling makes good strides; batting and fielding gaps need to be bridged (round-up)

“We are really excited to continue this journey with no limits to our dreams,” said Emery on the club’s website.

Club Chairman Nassef Sawiris was also happy to have secured Emery’s services until the end of the decade.

“We are building something special here at Aston Villa with Unai at its core and we are delighted that he has signed a new deal with the club until 2029,” he commented.

–IANS

bc/

Continue Reading

Sports

French Open: Sumit Nagal loses to Khachanov after a two-hour 27-minute battle

Published

on

By

Paris, May 28 (IANS) Top Indian singles player Sumit Nagal suffered a setback as he went down to 18th seed Karen Khachanov in the men’s singles first round, ending his maiden entry into the main draw of the clay court major on a losing note in the Franch Open here on Monday.

It was expected to be an uphill task for Nagal as he was facing a top-20 player and the match went on expected lines though the Indian did put up some fight in the third set, taking his 28-year-old opponent to the tiebreaker. Also, clay is Nagal’s least favourite surface.

The 26-year-old Nagal eventually lost 6-2, 6-0, 7-6(5) in a 2 hour and 27-minute match played on Court 7 which was initially interrupted by rain here on Monday.

Nagal served four double faults as compared to two by his opponent and could manage to put in only 55 percent of his second serve as compared to 68 percent by Khachanov. The Indian player ranked 95 in the ATP World rankings, who has a 3-6 win/loss record this season, earned nine break points but could convert only 1 while Khachanov capitalised on six of the 13 breakpoints he bagged.

ALSO READ:  Yashasvi Jaiswal, Annabel Sutherland named ICC Player of the Month for February

Nagal held his serve early in the first set but was broken easily by Khachanov. The 28-year-old Moscow-born Kchachanov won nine games in a row from midway through the first set to win the second 6-0 to take a commanding lead.

Nagal won three games in a row in the third set to break his opponent’s serve in the 10th game and tied the score 5-5. Both players held their serve and the set went into a tiebreak. However, Nagal could not win the set and force a fourth set as Khachanov won the tiebreaker 7-5 to win the match in the match that nearly stretched to two and half hours.

While Nagal’s debut in the clay-court grand slam ended in the opening round, the 26-year-old from Jhajjar, who cracked into the top-100 in February 2024, will be looking forward to his debut in Wimbledon a few weeks from now.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

French Open: Zverev sends Nadal into sunset with win in first-round blockbuster (Ld)

Published

on

By

Paris, May 27 (IANS) Only time will tell whether people have witnessed him playing for the final time, but fans rose to cheer Rafael Nadal after a spectacular match against Alexander Zverev, who caused a huge upset by beating the 14-time winner in the men’s singles first round of the French Open 2024 here on Monday.

Fourth-seeded Zverev handed Nadal a 6-3, 7-6(5), 6-3 defeat on Monday afternoon, the 27-year-old German becoming the first man to defeat Nadal before the fourth round at Roland Garros and joining Robin Soderling and Novak Djokovic as the third man to defeat Nadal on the Parisian clay courts.

Nadal found moments of his vintage best tennis, especially with his trademark forehand passing shot. But Zverev’s booming serve, aggressive forehand, and calm under pressure proved too much to overcome after three hours and five minutes.

“To be honest I don’t know what to say,” Zverev said on court after his win, before handing the mic to the Spanish legend.

“First of all, thank you, Rafa, from all of the tennis world. It’s such a great honour. I’ve watched Rafa play all my childhood, and I was lucky enough to play Rafa when I became a pro, I was lucky enough to play him two times on this beautiful court. Today is not my moment, it’s Rafa’s moment,” Zverev was quoted as saying by the official Roland Garros website.

ALSO READ:  T20 World Cup: Rishabh Pant shares photo with teammates as India players leave for New York

There was so much excitement for the match that Novak Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz, and WTA No. 1 Iga Swiatek all sat in the stands to take in the action. The encounter was very tightly contested for a straight-sets match, but for every moment in which Nadal seemed to seize the momentum — rallying the raucous crowd fully behind him — Zverev found an answer to retake control.

Nadal, ranked 275 at the moment, had never played Roland-Garros unseeded, and never faced a top-10 player in the first round. He had also never lost consecutive matches on his beloved clay, but Zverev changed all that with a command performance.

Nadal, who fell to 112-4 lifetime at Roland-Garros with the loss, gave his faithful fans plenty to cheer about across the contest, but it was three-time semi-finalist Zverev who held the heavier hand in the key moments as he notched his second clay-court victory over the 22-time Grand Slam champion, and improved to 29-8 lifetime at Porte d’Auteuil.

Thunderous chants rang through the bowels of Chatrier with regularity during the pair’s 11th meeting, Nadal’s feverish fans doing their best to raise the closed roof that covered the court for the entirety of the match. Determined Zverev kept Nadal’s faithful from getting too unruly in the early going, however, as he broke Nadal in the first game of the match before wrestling the opening set with a second break of serve at the 50-minute mark, 6-3.

ALSO READ:  'Any doubts you might have...': AIFF chief breaks silence on 'allegations' levelled by Nilanjan Bhattacharjee

The second and third sets followed a different path to a similar end.

Nadal charged to life in the fourth game of set two, saving a pair of break points for 2-2 and breaking for 3-2 as chants of “Rafa! Rafa!” could be heard echoing across the grounds.

Urged on by the faithful, the Spaniard clung to the lead for a spell, but couldn’t ward off his determined adversary, who broke at love for 5-5 and eventually claimed a tense tiebreak to take a 2-0 lead.

There were chances galore for Nadal, which is a testament to just how far he has come since making his return to the tour in April in Barcelona. Though defeated, he left us to wonder what might have been had he had a few more weeks to prepare.

But Monday’s match was Zverev’s for the taking, and he braved the magnitude of the contest with aplomb, rising to the occasion and matching the legendary Spaniard whenever the situation called for it.

ALSO READ:  PKL 10: New champion on the cards as Puneri Paltan take on Haryana Steelers in final

Faced with another deficit in the third set, Zverev wrestled control from Nadal once again, rallying from 2-0 down, winning six of the final seven games to close out his victory in three hours and five minutes.

It was a brilliant contest, full of drama, quality, and tension. The only shame, of course, is that such a high-profile contest happened so early in the Paris fortnight. After the match, Nadal was sent off properly by the fans, who chanted his name for several minutes before he took the microphone to address them, and his future plans.

“The amount of feelings that I had on this amazing court during all my tennis career is just unbelievable,” Nadal said. “I never dreamed I would be here at almost 38 years old, with all the success I had here, winning so many times – it is something that I never dreamt of.

“For me, it’s difficult to say what will happen in the future. It’s a big percentage that I won’t be back at Roland-Garros, but I can’t say 100 percent. I enjoy playing here, I like traveling with the family, and my body is feeling a little bit better than it did two months ago.”

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Sports

Sweet memories flooding back for Dortmund ahead of Bellingham reunion

Published

on

By

Berlin, May 27 (IANS) Meeting Real Madrid in the 2024 UEFA Champions League final at Wembley this Saturday will see the return of a young man who stands for sweet memories in black and yellow. From 2020 to 2023, Madrid’s England midfielder Jude Bellingham turned out for Dortmund and soon became the club’s talisman and one of football’s superstars.

The club staff’s children gathered after nearly every game at Signal Iduna to hug the youngster who had become a dear friend. Following his introduction at the club’s training camp in the Swiss Alps after having just turned 17, Bellingham started his unprecedented journey on the big stage of international football, reports Xinhua.

The youngster, having helped English second-tier side Birmingham City avoid relegation, stood in front of a group of curious media representatives, before giving a near-perfect introduction that belied his tender years. Four years later, nostalgic feelings might fringe Dortmund’s entourage as the prodigal son slipped into the shirt of Real Madrid a year ago and became one of the Spanish outfit’s dominant figures.

ALSO READ:  FIH Pro League: India beat holders Netherlands 2-2 (4-2) in a thrilling shootout

Dortmund sporting director Sebastian Kehl called the reunion “a fantastic story.”

The official added: “He is joining Real and a year later we meet in the Champions League final. That’s near to kitschy.”

In Dortmund’s shirt, the midfielder made his way into the England team while having received the Kopa trophy in October 2023 from French sports paper France Football, which stands for the world’s best young player. His meteoric rise made even Dortmund seem too small for his genius. Nevertheless, the gigantic football cosmos of Real appeared as a huge challenge.

Only 12 months later, doubts have been removed like scenery in a theatre, shifting aside to make space for a new chapter. In Spain, Bellingham became one of the club’s driving forces. Curiously, rumors are linking Dortmund with his younger brother Jobe, currently under contract at English second-tier side Sunderland.

The 19-year-old is a similar type of player, who is well-equipped for the midfield and the front line. Regardless of the outcome, the name Bellingham stands for top-class football and will presumably forever be around Dortmund. At a rapid speed, Jude Bellingham adopted Real’s aura, representing the world’s best football club.

ALSO READ:  IPL 2024: Will Jacks, Kohli shock Gujarat, keep RCB's playoff hopes alive

The German side not only is facing their former star but “must fight against a mythos.”

“But I have the feeling we will manage as we have an open bill with Wembley, with this final,” Kehl stated, adding that to meet Bellingham before kick-off would be a very special pleasure.

Despite facing the power of the courted midfielder, Kehl said it’s time to turn things for the better for Dortmund, who lost their last Champions League final in 2013 against Bayern Munich.

–IANS

bsk/

Continue Reading

Trending