Connect with us

National

Raghavendra in 'adjustment politics' with Congress in Shivamogga: BJP rebel Eshwarappa

Published

on

Shivamogga (Karnataka), April 16 (IANS) Karnataka’s rebel BJP leader K.S. Eshwarappa on Monday accused the party’s Shivamogga Lok Sabha seat candidate B.Y. Raghavendra, the son of former Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa, of carrying out an “internal adjustment” with the ruling Congress.

Eshwarappa, who has filed his nomination as an independent candidate and vowed to defeat the BJP in the high-profile seat, claimed that the Congress and BJP candidate Raghavendra are colluding due to fear that he will win.

“Both candidates have come to an understanding. The fact that there is no campaigning in the constituency by the Congress proves this fact. I have not seen the distribution of pamphlets for their candidate. They both (BJP and Congress candidates) are not criticising each other, but, targeting me,” he claimed.

“In the fear that I will emerge as a winner, they are spreading false and baseless news against me. However, I am getting support from youth and everyone in the constituency,” he said.

ALSO READ:  PM Modi in Jammu, inaugurates multiple projects worth Rs 32,000 cr

Geetha Shivarajkumar, daughter of former CM S. Bangarappa, is the Congress candidate from Shivamogga.

–IANS

mka/vd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Congress yet to properly apologise for Operation Bluestar: Hardeep Puri

Published

on

By

Chandigarh, May 26 (IANS) Union Minister for Urban Housing, Petroleum and Natural Gas Hardeep Singh Puri on Sunday said that the Congress was yet to apologise properly for Operation Bluestar at the holiest shrine of the Sikhs, the Golden Temple, even after 40 years of operation.

Addressing the media here on the occasion of the release of the BJP’s “Chandigarh Manifesto”, the Union Minister said the Congress was responsible for the massacre of Sikhs which took place after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1984.

Hardeep Puri said the Congress had been describing it as anti-Sikh riots whereas it was a massacre and “not a riot because in a riot, two sides are involved. In the massacre, only one community, i.e. Sikhs were targeted”.

The Union Minister also ridiculed the Congress’ promise of putting Rs 1 lakh in the bank accounts of a woman member of every family.

“This will be a drain of around Rs 32 lakh crore and is practically impossible to implement. It was clear that the Congress was trying to push a false narrative. AAP’s scheme of supplying 300 units of free electricity was also part of the same ‘revdi’ culture about which Prime Minister Narendra Modi had frequently spoken.

ALSO READ:  Congress announces candidates for three more LS constituencies in Bengal

“PM Modi believes that good governance is good politics,” added Hardeep Puri.

The Union Minister also targetted Delhi Chief Minister and Aam Aadmi Party convenor Arvind Kejriwal over the corruption charges.

Under PM Modi-led government, there has been a manifold increase in capital expenditure which in turn has led to a spurt in the economic growth rate of the country, he said, adding: “The Indian economy now occupies the fifth place in the world and will soon become the third largest economy in the world.”

Hardeep Puri also said Chandigarh was among the top cities of not only India but also of the world and it must be represented in the Parliament by a person of the calibre of Sanjay Tandon, who was familiar with the city’s ethos and its problems.

Referring to a suggestion that India should open trade with Pakistan, Hardeep Puri said Pakistan had been using terrorism against India as an instrument of state policy.

ALSO READ:  Ankit Saxena murder case: Delhi court reserves order on sentence of convicts

“India had now sent a clear message to Pakistan that it would not accept terrorism and that it would kill terrorists in their homes,” he added.

Punjab will go to the polls for its 13 Parliamentary seats along with the lone Chandigarh seat on June 1.

–IANS

vg/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Goa accident: All accused, including contractors, will be prosecuted, says CM Pramod Sawant

Published

on

By

Panaji, May 26 (IANS) Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Sunday said that all the accused persons, including contractors, in the road accident that claimed four lives, will be prosecuted.

Four Bihar labourers were killed and four others injured after a bus rammed into their hutments along the roadside at Verna Industrial estate in the coastal state on Saturday night.

CM Sawant said: “The accident at Verna Industrial estate causing death and injuries is unfortunate. The procedure has been started to prosecute the driver of the bus who drove under the influence of alcohol, along with the contractor and subcontractors who accommodated the labourers dangerously in the huts at the spot. All accused are being charged for causing injuries and death. Government shall also blacklist the contractors and subcontractors. No one shall be spared.”

According to the chief minister, these labourers who were engaged in the work of pavement were provided accommodation along the roadside, which was dangerous and hence contractors would be blacklisted.

ALSO READ:  Ahead of polls, Congress leader Farsubhai Goklani joins BJP in Gujarat

Superintendent of Police (South) Sunita Sawant told media persons that the accident occurred after a bus driver carrying workers of a private company lost control of the steering.

“While negotiating to take a turn, the driver rammed the bus into hutments, where around eight labourers were sleeping. Four of them have died, while four are undergoing treatment at Sub District Hospital in Margao,” CM Sawant said.

She said that these workers, all natives of Bihar, were engaged in construction work of pavement.

Police said that the bus driver has also sustained injuries and is undergoing treatment.

Police are further investigating the case.

–IANS

sbk/svn

Continue Reading

National

PM Modi applauds Preneet Kaur's tireless service to Punjab

Published

on

By

Patiala, May 26 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi has extended his heartfelt commendation to Patiala candidate Preneet Kaur in a letter, recognising her family’s generations-long commitment to serving the people of Punjab.

In his letter, PM Modi lauded the extensive public service record of Kaur’s family, particularly highlighting the impactful contributions of Captain Amarinder Singh, both as Chief Minister and grassroots leader.

The Prime Minister expressed confidence in Kaur’s ability to represent the people of Patiala, citing her consistent advocacy for Punjab’s progress and prosperity over the past two decades.

“As a distinguished parliamentarian, you have consistently raised critical issues concerning the progress and prosperity of Punjab for over two decades. The strong bond you have established with the people of Patiala speaks volumes about the integrity and dedication with which you have tirelessly worked towards the betterment of the region,” the Prime Minister said.

Expressing optimism in Kaur’s electoral prospects, PM Modi underscored the importance of the ongoing elections in shaping the nation’s future.

ALSO READ:  Ahead of polls, Congress leader Farsubhai Goklani joins BJP in Gujarat

He urged voters to participate early despite the summer heat and called on party workers to focus on winning every booth.

Responding to PM Modi’s letter, four-time MP Preneet Kaur expressed deep gratitude and humility, pledging to continue serving Patiala and Punjab with renewed zeal.

“I am deeply honoured and humbled to receive this heartfelt letter from Prime Minister @narendramodi ji. Your kind words recognising my family’s service to Punjab are truly inspiring and strengthen our dedication to serve Patiala and Punjab with even greater zeal. For us, it is a sacred duty to follow Guru Sahib’s ‘hukum’ to serve our people,” Preneet Kaur wrote on X.

She affirmed her commitment to the progress and prosperity of Punjab, echoing the sentiment of the Fateh Rally’s success as a testament to Punjab’s determination to support the mission of Viksit Bharat and Viksit Punjab, and expressed confidence of BJP’s victory.

Captain Amarinder Singh also expressed his gratitude, tweeting: “Heartfelt gratitude to Prime Minister @narendramodi ji for your encouraging letter. Your recognition of our family’s service to Punjab strengthens our resolve to serve Patiala and Punjab with renewed dedication.

ALSO READ:  Webcasting will be done in each polling booth in Bengal this time

“We are committed to advancing the vision of Viksit Bharat and Viksit Punjab. I am confident that with ever-increasing support of the people, victory for the BJP in Patiala and Punjab is certain.”

Punjab will go to the polls for its 13 Parliamentary seats on June 1.

–IANS

vg/pgh

Continue Reading

National

Licence expired, doctors not qualified to treat newborn: Delhi Police on hospital fire

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Police probe into the Baby Care New Born Child Hospital fire has revealed that the licence issued to the hospital by the Delhi Government Health Services (DGHS) had expired on March 31.

The initial probe also revealed that the doctors at the hospitals were not qualified to treat newborn babies, who were in need of Neonatal Intensive care, as they (doctors) were only BAMS degree holders.

Delhi Police arrested the hospital owner and a doctor on duty at the hospital. The owner was identified as Naveen Kichi, a resident of Bhairon Enclave, Paschim Vihar while the doctor was identified as Dr Aaksh (26), a resident of district Charkhi Dadri in Haryana, who is a BAMS degree holder.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (Shahdara) Surendra Chaudhary said that on Saturday at around 11:30 p.m. a police control room (PCR) call regarding a fire at Baby Care NewBorn Hospital was received at Vivek Vihar police station, following which a police team rushed to the spot.

ALSO READ:  '2024 LS polls a battle between stability & instability': PM Modi hits out at Congress & INDIA bloc in Maharashtra

“In the hospital, there were 12 newborn babies admitted and one was already dead before the fire incident. All the 12 newborn babies were rescued from the hospital with the help of other people and shifted to East Delhi Advance NICU Hospital, for treatment,” said the DCP.

Delhi Fire Service (DFS) Chief Atul Garg said that seven children were declared dead at the hospital while five newly born babies are undergoing treatment.

“All 7 dead bodies have been further shifted to GTB Hospital for postmortem,” said the DCP.

DCP Surendra Chaudhary further said that after dousing the fire, the hospital was inspected and there were burst oxygen cylinders found.

“An FIR for the offence under sections 336, 304A and 34 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) was registered. Further, the hospital was thoroughly inspected by police, fire brigade staff and crime team,” the DCP said.

He said that on inspection of the hospital and examination of the nursing staff, it was found that there was no fire extinguisher, improper entry exit, absence of emergency exit and deployment of the BAMS doctor.

ALSO READ:  Ankit Saxena murder case: Delhi court reserves order on sentence of convicts

“Section 304 and 308 IPC have been invoked,” said the DCP.

He said that even as per the expired licence, the hospital was allowed for five beds only, but at the time of the incident 12 newborn babies were admitted to the hospital.

During the investigation, it was found that the ‘Baby Care New Born Child Hospital’ has four branches including Vivek Vihar, Punjabi Bagh, and in Haryana’s Faridabad and Gurgaon. The DCP said that the owner of the said hospital is Dr Naveen Khichi, an MD in Pediatric Medicine.

“He and his wife Dr Jagriti (Dentist) are running the said Hospital. The probable cause of the fire is stated to be a short circuit. An Electric Inspection Report from the Electric Inspector (Labour Department) is being obtained. Report is also being obtained from the Delhi Fire Services,” said the DCP.

–IANS

ssh/dan

Continue Reading

National

AIADMK raps TN govt for not resuming free laptops scheme for govt school students

Published

on

By

Chennai, May 26 (IANS) AIADMK General Secretary and former Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami (EPS) on Sunday questioned Tamil Nadu’s DMK government for not resuming the scheme to provide free laptops to government school students in the state.

In a statement, he said it was highly condemnable that the state government was not making any announcement regarding free laptops for state government school students even when only a few days were left for schools to reopen.

Noting that the scheme of free laptops to government school children was introduced during the previous AIADMK government, Palaniswami said that it was meant to increase the quality of education of the students.

He asked Chief Minister M.K. Stalin whether he would resume the free laptop scheme which was stopped after the DMK government assumed office in the state.

In another statement, Palaniswami, who is also the Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly, questioned the Tamil Nadu State Electricity Board beginning the process of allowing only one electricity connection in the name of the house owner.

ALSO READ:  '2024 LS polls a battle between stability & instability': PM Modi hits out at Congress & INDIA bloc in Maharashtra

He said that if the house owner stayed in one portion of the house and had a tenant in another portion, 100 free units of power would be provided. However, if the tenant leaves and the house owner has two electricity connections, one will be disconnected and for reconnection when a new tenant comes, the house owner has to apply afresh for a new connection, he said. This would lead to the house owner spending more, he added.

He said that during the AIADMK government, 100 units of power were provided free for both connections and called upon the DMK government to maintain the status quo.

–IANS

aal/vd

Continue Reading

Trending