Connect with us

National

Vet student 'suicide': Kerala HC dismisses suspended VC's petition challenging action against him

Published

on

Kochi, April 25 (IANS) The Kerala High Court on Thursday dismissed the writ petition filed by suspended Kerala Veterinary and Animal Science University Vice Chancellor Dr M.R. Saseendranath, challenging the action against him by the Chancellor pending an inquiry into a student’s death.

Saseendranath was suspended on grounds of dereliction of duty and lack of sincerity over the suicide of J.S.Sidharthan, a second-year Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry student at the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences at Pookode in Wayanad district.

Sidharthan was found hanging in his hostel room at the college on February 18. A huge furore had broken out after reports that Sidharthan was subjected to brutal assault from a group of students in the college, most of them belonging to the SFI, the student’s wing of the CPI-M. So far, 20 accused persons (all students) have been arrested in connection with the case, while the Vice Chancellor, Dean, and the Assistant Warden of the institute have been placed under suspension.

ALSO READ:  Merit in demand for separate HC for Nagaland: Parliamentary panel

With the opposition parties taking up the issue and the father of the deceased demanding a CBI probe, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in March gave the nod for it, but following a delay in the issue of the necessary order, Jayaprakash, father of Sidharthan, moved the High Court, which, in April, asked the Centre to give the sanction for it.

Dismissing the VC’s petition, the court on Thursday observed: “This is a serious incident which allegedly occurred inside a college campus in front of a large number of students and the deceased was allegedly subjected to inhumane torture for days together, which ultimately led to his suicide. Therefore, it is absolutely necessary that all the persons responsible for such incident and the officials who, either willfully or negligently, did not take any steps to prevent such torture, before it escalated into the death of a person, shall also be proceeded against. Therefore, I do not find it proper to interfere with the process of inquiry now in progress.”

ALSO READ:  3-line python code unearths donors-parties link in Electoral Bonds in 15 secs, claims Congress

The court also held that the arguments of the Vice Chancellor that he had no knowledge of the torture meted out to Sidharthan were not believable.

“In such circumstances, the contention of the petitioner regarding the lack of knowledge of the torture of the deceased, until 21.02.2024, appears to be not convincing, at least prima facie. This probably suggests maladministration or dereliction of duty of the persons concerned including the petitioner (Vice Chancellor). Therefore, this is a matter to be inquired into by conducting a fair and impartial inquiry,” it added.

–IANS

sg/vd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Vote for strong govt, vote for 'Viksit Bharat': PM Modi

Published

on

By

Ghosi (UP), May 26 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Sunday that he needed people’s blessings to form the next government not for himself or his family but for Viksit Bharat.

Speaking at a rally in Ghosi on Sunday, he said, “The world has its eyes on these elections. They know that a strong government will make India’s voice stronger globally.”

He said, “In the 2012 assembly manifesto, SP (Samajwadi Party) had promised to give quota to Muslims. I belong to most backward castes and I know the pain. The court prevented them from doing so because the constitution does not allow quota on the basis of religion,” he said.

“These people can go to any limits to appease the vote bank. They want to encroach on the quota of SC/ST and OBC and give their share to Muslims,” he said and added that first-time voters should read the SP manifesto of 2012 to understand this.

ALSO READ:  Delhi HC dismisses Sisodia's bail pleas in excise policy cases by CBI and ED

He further said that the Congress and SP had not visited the Ram temple because they wanted to appease their vote bank.

The Congress, he said, had declared schools and colleges as minority institutions only to deprive SC/ST, OBCs of their right to quota. This, he added, is against the spirit of the Constitution.

The Prime Minister listed the schemes he had launched for the welfare of all including pucca houses, free gas cylinders, tap water in every house, toilets and now free electricity with solar panels.

–IANS

amita/uk

Continue Reading

National

Cyclone Remal: Met Dept issues alert in Bihar

Published

on

By

Patna, May 26 (IANS) Bihar Met Department has issued an alert as cyclone Remal is expected to hit the coastal areas of West Bengal on Sunday.

An official of the Met Department said that several districts of Bihar will witness moderate to heavy storms after cyclone Remal enters West Bengal, which will bring some respite from the scorching heat in the state.

At present, cyclone Remal is passing through the central part of the Bay of Bengal.

The Met Department has predicted rains in Saharsa, Madhepura, Banka, Jamui, Khagaria, Muzaffarpur, Vaishali, Samastipur, Purnea, Araria, Supaul, Katihar, Kishanganj, Bhagalpur, Munger, Sitamarhi, Sheohar, Darbhanga and Madhubani districts of Bihar.

“People in these districts should stay alert and cautious in the wake of cyclone Remal,” the IMD said.

“A deep pressure is forming over the eastern central region of the Bay of Bengal which is located about 440 km in the south-east direction of West Bengal. This deep depression turned into a cyclonic storm on May 25 which will pass through the coast of West Bengal on May 26,” an official said.

ALSO READ:  Emotional H.D. Revanna heads to father Deve Gowda's house after release from prison on bail

–IANS

ajk/dan

Continue Reading

National

Govt asks telecom providers to block incoming international spoofed calls

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) In a significant move, the government on Sunday issued directions to Telecom Service Providers (TSPs) for blocking incoming international spoofed calls.

It noted that together with the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), the TSPs have devised a system to help identify and block incoming international spoofed calls from reaching any Indian telecom subscriber.

In a statement, the Ministry of Communications informed that “fraudsters are making international spoofed calls displaying Indian mobile numbers to Indian citizens and committing cyber-crime and financial frauds”.

“These calls appear to be originating within India but being made by the cyber-criminals from abroad by manipulating the calling line identity (CLI),” it added.

The ministry said that these calls “have been misused in recent cases of fake digital arrests, FedEx scams, drugs/narcotics in courier, impersonation as Govt and police officials, disconnections of mobile numbers by DoT/TRAI officials, etc”.

The DoT had previously asked the TSPs to block incoming international spoofed calls with Indian landline numbers.

ALSO READ:  Emotional H.D. Revanna heads to father Deve Gowda's house after release from prison on bail

“Now directions have been issued to the TSPs for blocking of such incoming international spoofed calls,” the ministry said.

To maintain the safety and security of the users, DoT has taken many initiatives including citizen-centric Sanchar Saathi portal to protect telecom users.

“Despite best efforts, there may still be some fraudsters who succeed through other means. For such calls, you can help everybody by reporting such suspected fraud communications at the Chakshu facility on Sanchar Saathi,” the ministry said.

–IANS

rvt/svn

Continue Reading

National

Two girls drown in Kerala river

Published

on

By

Thiruvananthapuram, May 26 (IANS) Two girls, who were cousins, died by drowning in Chalakudy river in Ernakulam district on Sunday.

The deceased are identified as Megha and Jwala Lakshmi.

According to police, a group of five women including three girls reached the Chalakudy river for a dip after attending the funeral services of their relative.

While the two women did not enter the river, the three girls went in and strong currents swept them away. One girl was rescued by the local people after those on the bank raised an alarm. However, Megha and Jwala Lakshmi could not be saved.

–IANS

aal/kvd

ALSO READ:  TN Governor accepts resignation of Minister without portfolio Senthil Balaji
Continue Reading

National

Swati Maliwal alleges threats following campaign by AAP leaders, YouTuber Dhruv Rathee

Published

on

By

New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) AAP Rajya Sabha MP Swati Maliwal on Sunday said that she has been receiving rape and death threats after a “character assassination” campaign allegedly orchestrated by party leaders and volunteers.

She said that the situation escalated after the YouTuber Dhruv Rathee posted a one-sided video against her.

“After the leaders and volunteers of my party, i.e., AAP orchestrated a campaign of character assassination, victim shaming, and fanning of emotions against me, I have been getting rape and death threats. This got further exacerbated when YouTuber @Dhruv_Rathee posted a one-sided video against me,” Maliwal wrote on X (formerly Twitter) on Sunday.

Maliwal accused the party leadership of trying to intimidate her into withdrawing her complaint. She also expressed disappointment with Dhruv Rathee, saying that despite her efforts to contact him and share her side of the story, he ignored her calls and messages.

“It is shameful that people like him, who claim to be independent journalists, could act like other AAP spokespersons and victim-shame me to the extent that I am now facing extreme abuses and threats,” she added.

ALSO READ:  Two members of Babbar Khalsa International-backed terror module arrested in Punjab

Maliwal listed several points that she felt were neglected in Dhruv Rathee’s 2.5-minute video:

She said Rathee failed to mention: why the AAP took a U-turn after accepting that the incident happened; the ⁠MLC report that reveals injuries due to the assault; selected part of the video was released and then the phone of the accused was formatted; the accused was arrested from the crime scene (CM house). Why was he allowed to enter the place again? For tampering of evidence?; and how a woman who always stood for the right issues, even went to Manipur alone without security could be bought over by the BJP?

“The manner in which the entire party machinery and its supporters have attempted to vilify and shame me speaks volumes about their stand on women’s issues. I am reporting these rape and death threats to @DelhiPolice. I hope they take strong action against the perpetrators,” Maliwal said.

ALSO READ:  13-year-old girl, boyfriend held for murder of landlord in Lucknow

She concluded by noting, “In any case, if something happens to me, we know who instigated it.”

Bibhav Kumar was arrested on May 18 in connection with the assault on Maliwal at Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s residence on May 13.

Kumar, a former PS to Kejriwal, on Saturday moved local court seeking bail. The court has issued notice to Delhi Police and sought its reply.

–IANS

ssh/dan

Continue Reading

Trending